Thread: Vista OK for Windows Development?

Vista OK for Windows Development?

So I'm building a new work laptop, and I'm absolutely torn between getting XP Professional and the top Vista Business edition.

I develop in almost every language imaginable, and I'd hate to get my machine setup at work only to find I can't use a package I really need to. Currently, I do a lot with PHP5, Windows IIS, Visual Studio 2003 and 2005 and 2008. Does anyone know how well those things work in Vista? I run into a lot of google results (even by accident) about people running vista having various problems with Visual Studio.

I know XP is sunsetting, and there are cool new features in Vista that I'd like to try. Does anyone reading this use Vista as a development O/S? How's it stack up? Would you recommend it?

Machine I'm looking at would come with 120GB, integrated graphics (so no Aero), 2GB memo and a T8300 2.4GHz C2D.

Input appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    So I'm building a new work laptop, and I'm absolutely torn between getting XP Professional and the top Vista Business edition.

I develop in almost every language imaginable, and I'd hate to get my machine setup at work only to find I can't use a package I really need to. Currently, I do a lot with PHP5, Windows IIS, Visual Studio 2003 and 2005 and 2008. Does anyone know how well those things work in Vista? I run into a lot of google results (even by accident) about people running vista having various problems with Visual Studio.

I know XP is sunsetting, and there are cool new features in Vista that I'd like to try. Does anyone reading this use Vista as a development O/S? How's it stack up? Would you recommend it?

Machine I'm looking at would come with 120GB, integrated graphics (so no Aero), 2GB memo and a T8300 2.4GHz C2D.

Input appreciated
    Vega, I do a lot of development. Everything from scripting languages, to C/C++ and assembly.

This may not sound like a decent solution to you, but I do 100% of my development inside virtual machines.

I install VMWare, then I create a new XP installation and put on essential applications and tools that I'll always use. Once that is completely set up, I duplicate that base image. Then I configure each base for what type of development that I'm doing. I have one image set up for nothing but assembly development, another set up for MSVC, etc. MSVC fills your registry with megabytes of data and fills your filesystem up with a lot of junk. I do not want that kind of data on my main OS where I do nothing but gaming. This solution keeps everything clean and prevents anything from interfering with one another.

I never really did too much development inside of Vista. As long as you have XP, you can install Vista, try development there, if it doesn't work out, then you can install XP inside VMWare.

hmm, that is a neat idea. I've done that before, but I didn't have a spare license hanging around so it would always say "you have x days to register" inside the VM O/S

But I hadn't considered that. The Proc on this laptop I'm considering is a new 45 nm C2D, so I'm sure it'd scream with virtualization. Very good idea DF, that's all the window I need to get myself to do this.

You the man

Blog Entries
    VirtualPC 2007 is free for Windows XP owners
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Quote Originally Posted by Teck View Post
    VirtualPC 2007 is free for Windows XP owners
    That's cool. I used to use VirtualPC before Microsoft bought them. It was faster than VMware at the time, but I think VMware has passed it up in speed and functionality. You can actually use 3D inside of VMware.

I use what MS offers. it was free the last time I downloaded it. worked fine. it just ran Xp within Xp pretty sluggishly (to be fare, it was an old P4 Mobile with Pc2700 memory, pretty slow).

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    studio has run fine for me on Vista for a year.

thanks Shark, good to know

If XP is working for you, by all means keep it. And if later on, the XP environment goes to hell, upgrade to Vista. Just make sure you have the hardware punch to run Vista Business now, so you don't have to try to upgrade a notebook later.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 works like a charm on vista.
    ~ Even compiles faster (Personal assessment, don't take it as a guarantee)

No problems, C/C++ Java etc. etc. all work.
    I see no reason to why it wouldn't though, if you _are_ using it for work, keep it to something you know and trust.

There is nothing worse then spending 3+ hrs on a app, only to have it corrupt and be without a backup >.>
    + REP/TAP IF YOU <3 IT +
    [D]// APH3X - Isn't getting an abortion like spawn killing?
    :spamcan: :spamcan: :spamcan: :spamcan: :spamcan: :spamcan:

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM