Thread: Vista System Restore

Platanos con salami... DominiKing's Avatar

Vista System Restore

So I have this laptop that won't boot. I turn it on and it starts to load but doesn't get anywhere past the M$ loading screen, if it does then it won't go past the log in screen (where you put the password). I managed to get into the desktop ONCE after a billion tries and I can't make a restore point either cause it was in safe mode.

It's the 32-bit version of Vista, I made a recovery disc and tried to boot from it and it did. The only problem is that there isn't a restore point on the HDD, there never was one. So I noticed it's not like XP where I could restore to the original either cause it wont let me. I'm out of ideas and don't know what else to do. I don't care if to restore from the original factory settings but it's not letting me do it Do you guys have any idea what I can do? I don't have a Vista CD so I can't re-install it either. It's a Toshiba Qosmio F45-AC413. Please help if you can, thanks a lot guys.
    "Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum!" [SIZE=1]-Admiral Firmus Piett

United States [US]
    joe
    to access the recovery partition on your hard drive (if you still have it), do the following...

1) Make sure the computer is turned off.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while powering on the computer. When the computer powers on, the Toshiba Recovery Wizard screen displays.

follow the menus and this should restore the notebook to original factory state...

I hate recovery partitions and the like. I have my Vista complete backup on a different disk all together. Actually one of the things I like about Vista.

The boot CD's that came with it should have vista for your PC. Many notebooks don't have the "original" software but a configured version for your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    to access the recovery partition on your hard drive (if you still have it), do the following...

1) Make sure the computer is turned off.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while powering on the computer. When the computer powers on, the Toshiba Recovery Wizard screen displays.

follow the menus and this should restore the notebook to original factory state...

I dont know if it's the same thing but it just beeps and takes me to the F8 screen. Choose safe, normal, restore is there but it doesnt work. it just checks the hdd and then boots and freezes up

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistSoldier View Post
    The boot CD's that came with it should have vista for your PC. Many notebooks don't have the "original" software but a configured version for your PC.
    I dont have any of the CD's that it came with.

United States [US]
    joe
    Did you get this notebook used? (that would explain the lack of CDs, and perhaps the previous owner wiped the recovery partition)

If you don't have the recovery media, and the recovery partition isn't there...then I hate to say it but you're pretty much screwed. At this point I'd go into bios and reset it to default settings, make sure that it (the bios) can see the hard drive and the memory, etc, then try a reboot (normal at first, then if that doesn't work, give safe mode one last shot). After that, there's not much more you can do. Do you know what caused this problem in the first place? Was it hardware or software?

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    Is the recovery option still on the Vista install disk?

Can you do a fixmbr and fixboot from there still? I haven't had to repair my Vista installation, ever, but in XP I've used the fix-type statements quite a few times.

Yeah it's been used, I don't have any disk's besides the recovery one I made. @ Coffee, if you mean the Startup Repair then yes I can go in it but it says that it has some hardware hooked up and wont go any farther but there's nothing connected. As to how it happened, we were watching a movie, it froze, we reset and it got like this...