Thread: Windows CE (Embedded)

Windows CE (Embedded)

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been exploring my Knightrider GPS and apparently, this is the OS. I'd like to tweak it some, and maybe get some extra functionality... like to use it as a media player. The thing's pretty basic, but it should be able to play music and video.
    The CPU is a Samsung 2443 @ 400Mhz, it has 64mb system RAM and 1gb SSDD, but it accepts SD cards. The screen is 480x272 so, it should be fine for viewing a movie or TV show.

Thoughts?

(And here's a .wmv file you see at power on)
    WMV9_480x272.flv video by sRdennyCrane - Photobucket
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Can you install software on the thing? or maybe by connecting it to a PC which has activesync installed via USB? Something like Mortplayer would make it an OK music player if the device is touchscreen based. and to make it a video player tcpmp would do nicely as it can play divx/xvid/mp4 and if you install some codecs you can get ac3 & aac audio working as well.

I have full access to all system files (in fact, I've already done a complete backup to my PC) via a USB cable. The main issue I see is getting access to the OS. The unit operates all by the touch screen, and there's no way (that I've found) to execute any files like a movie or song. The unit has a compact Windows media player, so I should be good to go IF I can run it.
    Basically, I need a way to unlock the damn thing.

If you have access to all system files it is unlocked. if not fully unlocked you can try using one of the many windows mobile unlocker apps and running that through active sync. if you find the version of windows CE its running you can try replacing some of the system files with ones from another device. I had good luck with an old Ipaq phone doing that after I accidentally bricked it. I recall there being a file in the \windows directory on the device which could be used to load a shell at startup, like say an explorer.exe from another windows mobile device that would allow you to run an app.

I've heard you can restore the Mio GPS units by reflashing firmware and reloading software. never had one to play with though.

Well, active sync is out, it's not Windows Mobile. Basically, for starters, I'd just like to find how to add an icon to the menu system for files on the memory card. I'll presume Windows will know to open them with Media Player.

How about the tools in the Windows CE development kits? There are some features in the dev kits that allow you to customize a device's look and feel among other things. It may be overkill for what you want to do.

Sounds like that's the only answer at this point. I saw some dude who managed to get a trimmed down Vista on his... but he doesn't seem interested in sharing information.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    I believe, being a 300 series MIO gps, that any of the MIO 310 hacks will work, and should be easily found via the Google Technology.