Poll: Which Browser Is Your Favorite

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 378

Thread: The Browser Gambit

Why the hell would I want to fix anyone's PC?

Protip: Keep your computer knowledge well hidden or the tech whipping boy will you be.

United States [US]
    joe
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    this is a great way to carry apps around on a usb stick for use on any pc.

PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives
    Bring the power of portable software to your USB flash drive - make it a U3 smart drive!

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    i bought a cruzer that came with that, too.

Mine, too.

And Pale, just as a casual side thing, you can charge a very modest fee and streamline someone's PC and they react like you resurrected their dead Aunt Tilly. In my experience, people are willing to pay ~$75 for you to just clear the gunk out of their registry, optimize their settings, remove spyware and malware, and update their system. Takes about an hour. And if you can truly resurrect a PC they were ready to write off as dead, you're a god because they were already pricing a new PC.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

I agree Denny and years ago I used to do a fair bit of that and saved a lot of people a lot of time and money. Maybe I'm just jaded. These days I'd rather not unless it was a close friend or relative (or hell even an sR person). Put it this way, after working 10-14 hours in the shop all day would you want to go home and work on someone's brakes? Probably an easy job but still, you just spent all day turning wrenches and it's probably the last thing you want to do after work.

It's a fair point, and I used to do a lot of side work for extra cash. I weened people off it after getting calls late on a Sunday night because they HAD to have their car looked at THAT NIGHT... for a problem that had been there a week. I never charged a parts markup and charged $30/hr flat rate... I put my rate at $75/hr and full retail on parts. That got rid of most everyone... and if they were willing to pay, it was indeed worth my time.

I like doing the occasional PC repair because it's mostly simple... and if I can't fix it, I don't charge. An arrangement most people like. No getting dirty, and you get a good word of mouth customer base that you can pick and choose who are good customers or not.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    I only fix for friends now, and I charge for most of it, which has cut down on the calls.

Blog Entries
    Would it be better to backup their stuff up, and do a clean reformat?

One thing about the mac I love is time machine. I played with it a little at first, but didn't realize what the hell I was doing, or the power of time machine. It's really amazing. It literally looks like you are browsing through a virtual machine of your computer, just back on a certain date. Furthermore, you can recover specific files. So, if my browser craps out (even though I have FF and Safari), I can go back and grab just a past FF before an update or whatever change occurred that messed it up.

People reformat too often... especially if all they need is optimization and cleaning. Besides, they've loaded the computer up with all their photos, apps, games, whatever. Easier just to fix the thing. Sometimes, just another stick of RAM is the cure.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 378