Thread: Windows 7 or Server 2008?

Windows 7 or Server 2008?

I have recently built myself a home server running Windows 7 beta (soon RC), and it works fine. However, someone recommended that I run Windows Server 2008 (we get if for free through MSDNAA). I looked into Server 2008, but can't really see what the benefits for me would be. I currently use Hamachi, XAMPP, and RDC on it as well as run a RAID on the server, and that's all I really need it to do (that I know of), what would be the "perks" of switching to Server 2008? And is it worth it?

Thanx DanFortH

Quote Originally Posted by brwyatt View Post
    I have recently built myself a home server running Windows 7 beta (soon RC), and it works fine. However, someone recommended that I run Windows Server 2008 (we get if for free through MSDNAA). I looked into Server 2008, but can't really see what the benefits for me would be. I currently use Hamachi, XAMPP, and RDC on it as well as run a RAID on the server, and that's all I really need it to do (that I know of), what would be the "perks" of switching to Server 2008? And is it worth it?
    I would stick with Windows 7 because from experience using both, 7 is definitely quicker of the two. Especially if you go with the RC (7100). Also, there are actually a good bit of video card drivers out already for 7 and an obvious lack of them available for Server 2008.

Hum.... well, what about switching when the Win7 version for Server comes out?

Either that... or is there a way to control/configure my (new) PERC 5/i from within Windows 7 without having to use the cards BIOS? Sitting for 3 hours in the BIOS initializing drives is not my idea of a good time... I was looking at Dell's OpenManage stuff... but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for... The card is recognized in 7, but... I'd rather have access to it while the drives are being set up... NVRAID didn't need any time to "initialize" it just *poof* done... I can't quite figure out what it is doing... is it doing a zero-fill on the drive?

Thanx DanFortH

server was not meant for gaming. It was meant for running server applications. Video card support is always going to be worse than the standard version of windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    damn, that's big!

LOL.... doesnt matter anyway..... I'm running it off the Integrated nVidia 8200 chipset... and my RAID card is in the PCI-E 16x slot neway (I didn't have an 8x slot lol).

I don't plan to be running games off it anyway...

Thanx DanFortH