Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot up Problem

Boot up Problem

Hey guys got a problem with my desktop here. Usually when i boot up my pc it would show configuration for the motherboard then quickly go into welcome loading screen of windows xp. For some reason, today after i installed daemon tools my computer won't go past the motherboard configureation screen. If i just wait as usual it would lead me to a message saying please select proper boot device or enter media into boot device. So i go into configuration of my MSI motherboard and the only boot device i see is the CD/DVD drive that i have. Anythoughts to tell my computer how to not boot from that drive?

sounds like DaemonTools virtual drive messed with your bios boot order. Do you have any live CD's you could use to boot from, then through which remove daemon tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    damn, that's big!

your harddrive might have died, and the Daemon tools may have just been a coincidence. you also may have installed a trojan version of that app that wiped our your drive. If you don't see your internal disk in your bios, something's really wrong

daemon tools is simply software that adds virtual drive "ONCE" windows has booted. Anything prior is hardware/windows os fault. So probably hard drive or something. Check your boot order in CMOS. F9 or DEL key or something...

found my old xp set up cd. Tried to boot up my computer through the cd drive but everytime when the system is about to boost up I see the good old blue screen. technical information:
    STOP: 0X0000007E ( 0XC000000005, ETC ETC any thoughts? For the boot order, when i accessed BIs set up the only thing i saw was my cd rom

How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP

I'd also try getting a bootable diagnostics tool for your hard drive. Depending on the brand of drive, something like Seatools for Seagate drives.

Does the bios detect the drive on boot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

no the bios only detect my cd/dvd drive as the only one and set it as the primary one since there's nothing else there

She has her G-string tuned to A Gargs's Avatar
    Sounds like an issue with boot order (either drives or devices).

1st check in BIOS to see what your box's devices boot order is. If all is good there, restart and then go into your box's Boot menu and select to boot from "hard disk". If more than 1 hard disk shows up, then select your normal HD as the boot device. If your hard disk is the only option there, then your bootloader got porked. You will need to reboot from your windows disk to repair/rebuild the bootloader.

Main station: Intel i7-920 2.66GHz@3.2GHz, 12GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Barracuda 3x1TGB, Antec 750W PSU, 2x eVGA 460-GTX 1GB SLI, Thermaltake V1-AX, Cooler Master CM Storm

Peripherals: 2x Samsung 25" WS LED, Cooler Master Sirus Headset, Logitech G110, Saitek X52 Hotas, Saitek Pro Rudders, 2x Thrustmaster F16 MFD, Track IR3, Nostromo n52, Logitech G700, Wacom Intuos3 Tablet (6x8)

I couldn't hear anything DJ_Wheels's Avatar
    Have you tried disconnecting you hard drive and reseating the connectors?

Is the drive getting power? Does it spin up? Has it been making loud click noises?

This is unrelated to boot order, etc. His drive isn't being detected.

after that...
    I'd try pluging the cable into a different port on the mother board

unpluging the cd/dvd drive and boot with only the HD pluged in.

make sure to look in the drives section of bios to see what is detected

and just for fun does the clock in bios have the correct date/time ?

Sata or Pata ? (sata connector is about the size of a USB Pata is like ten times bigger)

drive size ?

approx. how old is mother board?

Edit: also be carefull when pulling cables that Pata (Ribbon) are easy to break it's best to pull on the plastic connector or pull tab if there is one.
    Last edited by K_Dog; 04-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast