Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista SP2 Now Availble

Windows Vista SP2 Now Availble

If you wasn't a TechNet subscriber, Windows Vista SP2 is available for download for the rest of us in 32bit & 64bit flavors..I'm still trying to find the full fix list. But if you guyz know feel free to post them...

Windows Vista 32 bit

Windows Vista 64 bit

Gizmodo - Windows Vista SP2 Features and Fixes Unveiled, Beta Announced - Windows Vista

Emerging Hardware Support

•SP2 contains Blue tooth 2.1 feature pack supporting the most recent specification for Blue tooth technology
    •Ability to record data on Blu-Ray media,
    •Adds Windows Connect Now (WCN) Wi-Fi Configuration to Windows Vista SP2,
    •exFAT file system now supports UTC timestamps, which enables correct file synchronization across time zones.
    •SP2 provides support for new form factors, such as ICCD/CCID. new form factor support –example USB form factor as opposed to PCMCIA).
    •Support for the new VIA 64-bit CPU
    Security

•SP2 includes all previously released security updates, and builds on the proven security benefits of Windows Vista
    •Secure Development Lifecycle process updates, where we identify the root cause of each security bulletin and improve our internal tools to eliminate code patterns that could lead to future vulnerabilities
    •Reliability
    •SP2 addresses previously released reliability updates, as well as addressing crashes, caused by Microsoft code, discovered since the launch of SP1
    Performance

•Resume performance when Wi-Fi connection is no longer available after resume from sleep
    •Inclusion of Windows Search 4 for improved indexing performance, improved relevancy in search, broader indexing scenario inclusion, as well as new Group Policy integration for Windows Search,
    •Improvements to the RSS feeds sidebar gadget to improve update performance and responsiveness
    Application Compatibility

•It is our goal that applications that run on the Windows Vista Operating System today and are written using public APIs will continue to work as designed on Windows Vista SP2.
    •Previously released Application Compatibility updates are included in Windows Vista SP2.
    •Spysweeper and ZoneAlarm now working with POP3 email accounts
    Administration and Support Improvements

•Customers installing .net framework 3.5 service pack 1 will notice shorter download and installation times with Vista service pack 2 or Windows 2008 service pack 2 already installed,
    •Service Pack Clean up tool (Compcln.exe): This tool helps restore the hard disk space by permanently deleting the previous versions of the files (RTM & SP1) that are being serviced by Service Pack 2.
    •Single installer for both Vista & Server 2008
    •Ability to detect an incompatible driver and block service pack installation or warn users of any loss of functionality
    •Better error handling and providing more descriptive error messages where possible
    •Better manageability through logging in system event log
    •Componentization for Serviceability of the installer
    Some Specific Fixes/Additions Include:

•Inclusion of Hyper-V
    •Event logging support in SPC
    •DNS Server now listens over ISATAP address
    •Fixes DRM issues from WMP upgrades
    •Windows Vista Feature Pack for Wireless
    •Reduction of resources required for sidebar gadgets
    •Improved power settings for WS08
    One reader on engadget mentioned these fixes

DR House
    DR House @ May 26th 2009 8:50AM

YES !

For people who is wondering what does it add (i'll list what matters to me)

Your wireless Signal wont be super slow after you wake up your laptop from "sleep mode" "i noticed it and always had to restart"
    native Blu ray data Disc burn built in windows
    New wireless option in control panel that let you connect to wireless networks faster and easier "Windows connect now"
    New Bluettoth standard support
    Windows Search Engine 4 (Much faster search for files within windows)
    Your sidebar gadgets Wont eat ram/cpu like crazy (Now its fixed)
    Boost your battery life by about 10% with better power management system
    ExFAT format support for HDS
    Better Error handling

And overall OS performance boost and better security of course
    Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar
    Nice, I know the wireless has been an issue for a lot of people from the beginning. Never had a problem myself, but these new wifi tools seem useful.

Blog Entries
    Now just fix the audio and opengl and we have a WINNER!

Writer: Ugh, this post is heavy! Someone get me a wooden beam!
    Moderator: That post better be up to code or Heads WILL Roll :furious:
    Writer: It's set! See? :thumbup:
    [Crash]
    Moderator: ... [Ban]

Platanos con salami... DominiKing's Avatar
    I'll do it when the system asks for it, anyone try it tho?
    "Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum!" [SIZE=1]-Admiral Firmus Piett

I could have sworn I got that last week... I could be mistaken tho.

Downloading now... odd, I checked updates and there was one for IE8, and not this... but after that updated, I rechecked and SP2 was there.

Edit: download done...installing!
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 05-26-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

She has her G-string tuned to A Gargs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    ... odd, I checked updates and there was one for IE8, and not this...
    Same here. Had I not looked here I wouldn't have noticed. Good ol' .:., MY 1st choice source for tech news and updates!:thumbup:

Main station: Intel i7-920 2.66GHz@3.2GHz, 12GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Barracuda 3x1TGB, Antec 750W PSU, 2x eVGA 460-GTX 1GB SLI, Thermaltake V1-AX, Cooler Master CM Storm

Peripherals: 2x Samsung 25" WS LED, Cooler Master Sirus Headset, Logitech G110, Saitek X52 Hotas, Saitek Pro Rudders, 2x Thrustmaster F16 MFD, Track IR3, Nostromo n52, Logitech G700, Wacom Intuos3 Tablet (6x8)

Got home and it's rebooted and SP2 is in place. Apparently, no problem.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

As a heads up, anyone who has a different drive set to boot before Vista (like a drive with Linux or OSX, and use grub or Chameleon as a boot loader), make sure you set your Vista drive to boot before the others before you begin the SP2 installation. Otherwise it will waste an hour+ of your time only to tell you it couldn't install.

She has her G-string tuned to A Gargs's Avatar
    Yet another reason why I manually select boot device in setup each boot up instead of using a bootloader. Regardless of bootloader, it screws up my device connections and FUBAR's my network if I let them run.

Main station: Intel i7-920 2.66GHz@3.2GHz, 12GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Barracuda 3x1TGB, Antec 750W PSU, 2x eVGA 460-GTX 1GB SLI, Thermaltake V1-AX, Cooler Master CM Storm

Peripherals: 2x Samsung 25" WS LED, Cooler Master Sirus Headset, Logitech G110, Saitek X52 Hotas, Saitek Pro Rudders, 2x Thrustmaster F16 MFD, Track IR3, Nostromo n52, Logitech G700, Wacom Intuos3 Tablet (6x8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast