Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1237 ... LastLast

Thread: Google's Wave

Naw, I mean something that can say "Win7? OSX? That's nothing. Look at THIS!"
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

I guess it depends on the device, but I agree. With Google's massive amount of developers and cash (they're not hurting as bad as some think), you'd think they would have a team of people R&D'ing something.

I believe they are and that it's not an operating system, but a complete 'in the cloud' computing solution that can be reached via any OS including Android. Once you're logged into it, you're essentially working on their platform.

But when you step back and look at all Google has developed, it's the next logical step that they make their own full-fledged OS that incorporates all this.

Blog Entries
    I think the coolest thing about this, is that they are bringing in other developers and basically saying, "Look, we have this great app but it is probably 3+ years out unless we get some help. We think this would be a useful application to you and your customers. It has a super nice API that allows easy development of anything... Take it where you will."

They are, in my opinion, taking corporate open source to a new level. They are a massive company with a shit ton of resources who have just basically finished an Alpha version of a new app and are allowing anyone interested to get involved at such an early stage and shape this new product in ways that Google has not thought of.

To Google, this is a massive experiment to see how well getting other people to develop for them, at such an early stage, works.
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Why don't they just hand it to Dopefish? I'm sure his one semester at Mt. San Jacinto College would really pay off.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    The problem with Google is that they have one source of income, and if they start losing market share, to anyone, their little fun open-source projects can no longer be funded.

Not that they're likely to lose much, and I'm not scoffing at their massive success. But they need to start monetizing their products.

They spent 2 years holed up in Australia creating Wave, which doesn't seem that applicable outside of some very specific areas of either social networking or business process.

Google does have an inflated market value, no doubt. And their cash is tied largely into one thing (ads). Coffee is right that they're in dire need of a new market segment to pad the bottom line (they're betting BIG TIME on youtube) and Teck's point about offering up an open source project to the world could lead that way simply by accident (and luck).

I love parenthesis!

The huge increase in YouTube ads proves that true... but the question is, will that turn into revenue? Oh sure, I click ads here. I hope everyone here does. But in a video? I hate those things. Never click them.

some of the time they dont need you to click to get paid, sometimes it is just impressions they get paid on. but clicks = more revenues

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Google does have an inflated market value, no doubt. And their cash is tied largely into one thing (ads). Coffee is right that they're in dire need of a new market segment to pad the bottom line (they're betting BIG TIME on youtube) and Teck's point about offering up an open source project to the world could lead that way simply by accident (and luck).

I love parenthesis!
    Nerdy vega is nerdy

Lisp (or LISP) is a family of computer programming languages with a long history and a distinctive, fully parenthesized syntax.
    Lisp (programming language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1237 ... LastLast