Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Windows 8 bootup

Re: Windows 8 bootup

I think Bojingles was calling bullshit on the video not on you, Pale.

Still I say we blame jingles for the OT

The slowest computer on their little graph looks to be ~ 74 seconds for windows 7 boot, 20 for windows 8, pretty cool if accurate

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    this isn't about leaving your computer on or not. this is about Windows 8 being utilized for tablets and other mobile devices, maybe even phones. You don't generally 'sleep' a tablet, so bootup time is important.
    If they can improve boot times I'm all for it, but I'm just trying to figure out why they make it sound like it's such a priority. As I said before, turning the screen off makes a big difference and the battery life of phones and tablets pretty much make the advantages of shutting them completely down negligible. According to the statistics on my wife's Xoom, about 70% of the drain is just from the screen. I think in the 5 or more months that she has owned her Xoom she has performed a cold boot maybe 3 times (one of which was required for a OS update).

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

it's just one of those things that's easy to measure and publish. and it's a far cry from the minutes-long bootup of earlier versions, so that's always good.

instant-on (from completely powered down) seems to be the goal, so as we get closer, why not tout it?

Blog Entries

I don't care when the screen/login first comes on.

My work laptop is terrible. It takes probably around a minute to get to the second login screen, and then it takes multiple minutes to load windows, and finish loading whatever bloatware the company put on before I can open outlook. G-d forbid I try opening outlook as soon as the desktop shows up. Then the computer punishes me to eternal Dr.'s office waiting hell for trying to start doign work.

I'm betting it isn't booting up the entire OS.

On my HP, I have a feature where I can boot to a screen that allows me to browse in the internet and view media without actually booting up completely, and it does it very fast. I click a button, then it finishes the boot process.

Blog Entries

I know how you feel Tulkas. My work computer only has 2GB of RAM running Windows 7 and all the other crap the USG decides that I need to run in background. Takes forever to load everything and anything.
    Tulkas likes this.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

yes, it's booting up the entire OS. things have changed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bojingles View Post
    I know how you feel Tulkas. My work computer only has 2GB of RAM running Windows 7 and all the other crap the USG decides that I need to run in background. Takes forever to load everything and anything.
    Just think, your specs are better than mine. LOL

Blog Entries

I think I'm skipping this version boys; they're trying to force some kind of minimalistic environment on us... A desktop PC is anything but that. I'll catch the next flight, provided I don't have to sit in coach...

Writer: Ugh, this post is heavy! Someone get me a wooden beam!
    Moderator: That post better be up to code or Heads WILL Roll :furious:
    Writer: It's set! See? :thumbup:
    [Crash]
    Moderator: ... [Ban]

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    sigh

this isn't about leaving your computer on or not. this is about Windows 8 being utilized for tablets and other mobile devices, maybe even phones. You don't generally 'sleep' a tablet, so bootup time is important.

so Paul Thurrott, big windows guy, just predicted Windows8 would be on the windows phone eventually. He's also geeked on Windows8 because he knows more than most:
    Just the right blend of excitement and aggression, right? The reason is simple: Windows 8 is going to blow us away. And while I already know a lot about Windows 8, much of which I've agreed not to communicate publicly until the big public unveiling on Tuesday, suffice to say, it's heady stuff. Microsoft has already publicly commented that this will be the biggest change to Windows since Windows 95, which was a purposeful way of setting the bar pretty high, but what I know so far bears out that claim.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/sup...ndows-8-140525

I'm surprised he makes any predictions, since he's under NDA about Windows8 in general.

Interesting stuff though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast