Page 1 of 281 12611 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Android OS, Phones and Tablets

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Android OS, Phones and Tablets

A central place to talk about Android phones and apps.
    Last edited by CoffeeShark; 08-19-2009 at 12:25 AM.

United States [US]
    joe

Here's my list of needful apps, which has already been commented on by Y2, but I'll wait for his input here. (at least now he has someone to fight with about it). The rest of you who have android and didn't tell us can speak up, too.

Some of these are off of the "best of" list that I re-tweeted today.
    Some are also available on iPhone.

I did look at Y2's suggestions, and after trying them all, here's what I have: (all are free unless specifically noted)

Documents to Go: A Word/Excel viewer (free, pay for other formats and for editing). This does a good job in Word, not as much in Excel, but i really just wanted a Word viewer.

Astro File Manager: A basic file folder access to your phone.

iMeem: Streaming Radio

SportsTap: Y2 says that Scoreboard is better, but I think that's true only for straight-up scores. SportsTap has a more refined GUI, plus pics, more news, and scores.

Ringdroid: an on-phone ringtone maker out of your mp3s, plus assign them to your contacts individually.

Twidroid: only for the twitter heads. Y2 likes AndTweet, but I prefer the Twidroid GUI.

ShopSavvy: A bar-code scanner that searches for local prices, internet prices and reviews.

Astrid: A "to-do" list. nothing too complex.

TasKiller: a quick way to kill anything running on the phone in the background. This one is priceless, and free.

ToggleSettings: Quick way to turn things on and off (wifi, airplane settings, bluetooth, gps, and more). Another must-have.

Sherpa: A location-based life app, with everything from movies to golf courses to restaurants, shopping, etc. uses GPS. Y2 likes Places Directory, which does the same things.

Movies by Flixster: Goes along with Sherpa idea, but provides movie times and info from your favorite local theater, not just where it is (I know that already). Also shows trailers, movie dates, DVD releases, etc.

Games: so far I've only played Robo Defense and Bonsai Blast, of which I only like Robo Defense (a good tower defense game). There are tons of games, I just haven't tried many.

Now, I don't use every app every day. A lot of them are just for fun, and the most useful I didn't mention - google talk, visual voicemail, messaging, mobile backup, etc.

Looking for: A good music manager

Still trying: Layar, the location-aware overlay of the real world ("Augmented Reality")
    Last edited by CoffeeShark; 08-19-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin yankeeDEUCE's Avatar
    Cyrket - Android Market Browser
    AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...
    Can search Market from your PC, you can scan the QR code with your phone and it will take you to the app page to download.

Jawbone Collector in Chief
    yankeeDEUCE.com

| |
    |

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin yankeeDEUCE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    Here's my list of needful apps, which has already been commented on by Y2, but I'll wait for his input here.
    Was just going to post about this.

Documents to Go: Don't really have a need for this, I just use Google Docs if I do.
    Astro File Manager: Never used it much so uninstalled.
    iMeem: Best radio app, but I usually just listen to my own songs.
    SportsTap: I like Scoreboard better just because it is simple, and for the Scoreboard Widget. For news, pics, etc I get them in my news feed.
    Ringdroid: Great app, but never used it so uninstalled.
    Twidroid: AndTweet is simple and faster. I get most of my tweets as SMS, usually just use AndTweet to post.
    ShopSavvy: I use this and Barcode Scanner, which just uses Google Products.
    Astrid: I just use notepad.
    TasKiller: "a quick way to kill anything running on the phone in the background. This one is priceless, and free." :yeahthat:
    ToggleSettings: I used ToggleBlu/GPS/WiFi which were nice, I have BetterCut so I just use that to make a shortcut.
    Sherpa: Haven't tried it yet. Places Directory does the same thing and looks a little cleaner from what I've seen.
    Flixster: Haven't tried it, I use Movie Finder, does the same things.
    Games: I've got Retro Defense which is fun, Coloroid is good for killing some time, played Doom. Haven't really played anything else, I've got my computer for gaming.

Home Screen replacement: I have Open Home and have used Sweeter Home. OpenHome is pretty nice but I get less battery life with it. Sweeter Home was OK but needed work.
    Sky Map is pretty cool.
    ConnectBot to SSH into servers.
    Google Finance is nice if you use it.
    Phonalyzr makes graphs from your call stats, have some issues since the 1.5 update though.
    T-Mobile MyAccount is nice, can view account activity, pay bills, change phone settings, etc.
    BetterCut is great, can make shortcuts for anything.

Jawbone Collector in Chief
    yankeeDEUCE.com

| |
    |

excellent

Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

Dg Alert Classic

Nice app if you want to customize your alerts for sms. Also allows you to change the led color and blink rate for sms.

This is not a phone but it does use Android OS. It is called the Creative Zii but I believe with the forward and backside camera Creative said that it has the capabilities of doing video conferencing so my thoughts is "This will be perfect for Skype by using the Zii's WiFi capabilities along with the forward facing camera on the Androids OS".

I have already put together my shopping list of buying..

Creative Zii Egg
    Verizons MiFi-to have a mobile WiFi hotspot where ever I go.

and then finding or creating an app for Android that will allow Skype to work in full functionality so that I can do mobile video voice calling.

In my own opinion I believe VoIP will kill Cell Phone companies in the near future because of how cheap VoIP is and once people find ways to "loophole" the expensive Cell Phone system then its goodbye for good Cell Phone companies.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Who needs a ATT Android phone when you can hack a HTC Fuze/Touch Pro!

Okay so its not quite there yet (HTC Kaiser has almost a fully functional Android port), but the Fuze version at least turns on.

[PRJ][OS]Linux and Android on HTC Diamond "NOT YET WORKING" - xda-developers
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Page 1 of 281 12611 ... LastLast