Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354044454650 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Windows Phones

Re: Windows Phones

Coffee, if the government is doing this...

Energy Dept. offers prize to create mobile apps that already exist

Maybe you could offer to make them an app that slingshots different birds at green pigs. I bet they'd love the idea and pay you big bucks. Just tell them it's a metaphor for targeting the need for green energy.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realged13 View Post
    We had a big discussion with one of our geologists today who got the iPhone 4S and how much of a pain it was to setup. He said he liked Android's better, but the operating system is what changed his mind. Android operating system is great, but it takes them like over a year to develop one operating system that will only work for a few devices. I really wish Google would just enough with spreading the operating system to so many platforms and just start their own cell company. The bought out Motorola, so I think they should develop three or four different phones and stick to those phones with Android only and say screw the rest. They can still develop similar OS for other phones, but really focus on their Android division with only a few phones.
    Offense to this geologist, he's a moron. iPhone is easy to setup up. It takes you step by step, you can't mess up. What's the pain in having to set it up?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    Here's what I feel phones should do during setup:

1. easy setup with your email only to all connected services - don't download everything, but make the connections and offer the option.
    2. easy music and movies sync through cloud, with web streaming - so the first time i go into my music, I see everything on the cloud and can easily download if desired, or just play.
    3. If your email is linked to a previous account on that ecosystem, easily re-download all purchased and free apps, sync bookmarks
    4. If your email is linked, auto set up link to cloud based documents, pictures, etc
    5. Offer preinstall template options - set up your phone as a 'gaming' phone, or a 'music' phone, or a 'movies' phone, with different apps and graphics depending.
    6. Offer ghost of your previous phone so you can have exact setup on new phone saved to cloud (if upgrade is still compatible, of course)
    7. install hardware-specific apps - Skype for FF cams, for example. So I have a gyroscope on my phone, wtf do I do with it? help me out here.

All this just means it's YOUR phone, as quickly and easily as possible. While it's fun to play with a new phone, sometimes you just want to get it working as soon as possible.

nb4the edit

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Can Windows Phone - and Nokia Lumia 900 - take on iPhone, Android? - Chicago Sun-Times

You can’t really put Windows Phone and another OS into a table of features and fill the grid with green checkmarks and red crosses. That approach kind of works when you compare iOS to Android
    Windows Phone’s strength isn’t in hundreds of thousands of the best apps available for any mobile platform anywhere. It’s more about having an important collection of apps that work together better than they can on any other OS.
    Every consumer -- even iPhone and Android buyers -- gives up something he or she wants because it means they’ll get something that they want even more. iPhone users give up a lot of freedom. Android users give up security and consistency. A Windows Phone user has to willfully reject the benefits of a fully-mature OS with more features and more powerful apps.

But if he or she is OK with that, they’ll wind up with the simplest, cleanest, calmest, and most elegant smartphone-class OS on the market

Well, that's a mostly good opinion on the subject of Windows Phones. He does seem to mix the subjective and objective here and there, but overall seemed to do his best to point out the good and bad parts of the phone. And the phone experience. I do have to take exception to calling it a 3 horse race, considering the floundering RIM still has over 3 times the market share as Windows. And RIM is in 3rd pace behind Apple and Android who split over 80% of the market.

i think they're just expecting RIM to die out. Windows Phone is still a minute share of the market, I'd expect after a year or two of Nokia pushing, it may be in the high single digits, if they're lucky, 10%. Analysts expect a 15% market share for WP by 2014 - I guess that's reasonable. Doesn't sound like much, especially after WinMo performance pre-iPhone. But 15% of that market is still billions.

I expect RIM to die, too. From what I've seen, their next OS looks horrible and could easily trick some unsuspecting user into thinking he accidentally picked up a Palm Pilot from 2002. They're down 3.2% market share in the last 3 months, but Windows is down 1.3% in the same time period. There's a lot of buzz about the Lumia, and I hope it takes off, but in all honesty, I have serious doubts this will carry Windows over until Win8 phones hit.

I expect a modest gain from the Lumia 900 - ATT is pushing it hard, Nokia is pushing it, there's a lot of money behind it, and the undecideds and first-timers could make up a few percentage points for Microsoft - though I don't expect more than that.

Maybe Microsoft should have had Samsung make their flagship phone...

Nokia Cuts Forecast on Handset Competition; Shares Drops - Bloomberg

all they need to say is "hey, we're not RIM"

Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354044454650 ... LastLast