Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Windows 7 Mobile Marketplace Is As Walled As Apple's App Store

The Windows 7 Mobile Marketplace Is As Walled As Apple's App Store

For those of you who don't like the iPhone because of the guarded-wall approach of submissions and approvals to Apple by developers, and were waiting for Windows 7 Mobile to be your savior, think again:

We just got out of a meeting with Microsoft's Todd Biggs, who dropped a little bombshell on us: the only official way to get apps on a Windows Phone 7 Series device will be to download them from the just-detailed Windows Phone Marketplace. That means developers will have to abide by Microsoft's technical and content guidelines in order to make it in, with the very real possibility of rejection -- sound familiar? Todd told us Microsoft plans to avoid Apple-style submission headaches by making the process transparent and predictable, with a group of Microsoft execs regularly meeting to examine edge cases and refine the guidelines as needed, but even the best intentions can be led astray by a sexy app or two.
    They go on to mention that there will be a different set of rules for enterprise customers so they can deploy business apps to their employees, but the much-hoped-for open-source approach is simply not going to happen for the average user.

Hey, we've still got Android. Right?

Link - Engadget

United States [US]
    joe

Re: The Windows 7 Mobile Marketplace Is As Walled As Apple's App Store

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Hey, we've still got Android. Right?
    What's this "we", kemosabe?

I'm a man of the people!

Anyway, this doesn't surprise me. MS is not stupid and sees the potential for content control and how it can impact revenues if executed properly. I hope they integrate the MS world across their major platforms and allow content sharing. To me, that's all most people want anyway. Those that cry foul because they can't legally install anything they want are missing the point of a Marketplace to begin with... and they still have Android :d

There's far more non-MS apps out there for current WinMo phones than are in any "official" repository. I have TV apps, obvious things like Google Maps, and other minor downloads and none came from either MS or Verizon's app store. Unless they do something that will block independent developers from marketing and distributing their own wares, I don't see this as any kind of serious issue.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

That's what they're saying Denny. They are going to block you from installing anything that doesn't come from their Marketplace. Of course the MS version of Jailbreaking will appear at some point, but you won't be able to install whatever you want anymore.

I think that would drive away both new customers and potential upgraders. Just a very minor for instance, the smallest "app" I have gives you different options on how your text/SMS/MMS messages are organized... but sender, date, topic, etc. It's a tiny little thing that slightly augments the existing system. And there's tons of those. If these are expressly blocked, I won't upgrade to a 7 phone next time.

Then you're not getting a Win7 phone:

the only official way to get apps on a Windows Phone 7 Series device will be to download them from the just-detailed Windows Phone Marketplace.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Hey so it looks like the maligned Touch HD2 won't be as bad as a purchase as you guys think (especially once the XDA guys get Android on it).
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

I'm just wondering how locked down it really is. On a current CE-based WinMo device (Be it a phone, GPS, etc), you simply drag and drop the appropriate .CAB file into any folder and execute it. Boom, they're self-extracting and installing. I'd think they'd have to somehow lock down the OS entirely to block this... and that would be problematic with your media files, Excel files, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast