Thread: Gizmodo Article: Windows Phone 7 Marketplace's Impossible Mission

Gizmodo Article: Windows Phone 7 Marketplace's Impossible Mission

There's a very good read over on Gizmodo that talks a bit about what exactly Microsoft, and all other up and coming application store hopefuls, have to look forward to at this point in the mobile application game:
    To be clear, the problem is as follows: When Windows phone 7 launches later this year, it will face the same Catch-22 as any new app platform does: Without an audience to sell to, why would developers invest in creating complicated apps? And if a platform doesn't have these great apps, why would people switch to it?

We only have to look as far as Palm to see that getting apps off to a slow start can be severely detrimental—even fatal—to a platform. But a comparison to webOS, or even Android, doesn't do Windows Phone 7's situation justice. By the end of this year, the platforms WinPho 7 will be competing with—namely iPhone and Android—will be even more deeply entrenched with users than they are now. And the same goes for developers: The 30,000+ apps in the Android Market are trending skyward, and the 140,000+ apps in App Store aren't showing any signs of slowing down, not to mention the iPad apps that are about to flood the index. Now, I know sheer quanity of apps doesn't mean everything, but it means something—the iPhone's got a better selection of great apps than Android, and Android's got a better selection of great apps than webOS or BlackBerry.
    I personally think Microsoft will be just fine. They are set to deliver a very simple and easy to use platform for creating applications so that even the most novice of developers could potentially create the next big app for Windows Phone 7. That in and of itself is a great move by Microsoft. The only thing that may hurt them is how Android positions itself against Windows Phone 7. In the battle for mobile supremacy, the biggest race right now is for second place and I would suspect both Google and Microsoft have more than a few tricks up their sleeves to deal with one another in their quests to catch the iWorld.

Link - Gizmodo

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: Gizmodo Article: Windows Phone 7 Marketplace's Impossible Mission

the simple fact that all current silverlight programmers are now Win7Phone programmers (along with XNA game programmers for gaming side), plus that silverlight scales well (reusable) between PC and phone (3 screen objective), makes that issue almost moot.

Plus microsoft's Expression Blend has a phone toolkit already, and devs have 6 months to get going.

With Office 2010, the already-shown apps, and countless XNA games ported over, I doubt we'll see this is an "impossible mission".

140,000 apps is nice. I need about 12.

maybe gizmodo should've thought that this through.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: Gizmodo Article: Windows Phone 7 Marketplace's Impossible Mission

oh, and silverlight beta is on symbian now.

Denny: re: divx

Windows Phone 7 Series To Support DivX and HD