Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By CoffeeShark

Thread: New/Old Threat Against Your Voice Mail

Blog Entries

New/Old Threat Against Your Voice Mail

A new... well... rather old threat really... But it seems that more and more people have smart phones and more more are leaving them unprotected. Recently the new/old threat has been "hacking" into voice mail accounts on phones and listening and changing the answering message. The fix for this is rather simple. Simply change your voice message default password. Usually this password is 1234. Also When you do change your password don't use obvious password such as: 0987, 1234, 1357, 1337, your birth date, last four of social, last four of your phone number, anyone in your immediate family's birth date. This will keep your voice mails safe and sound. Unless you really want someone changing your voice mail answering message to, "I'm a dirty whore, please leave me a message."

This has been a Bojingles Security tip of the week.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar

Re: New/Old Threat Against Your Voice Mail

... seriously?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMalfunction View Post
    ... seriously?
    Yup... It's actually really easy todo... Or so I'm told.
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

I dont think I've had a phone that didn't require you to set a passcode. But, I suppose they're out there. Regardless, if you're stupid enough to have 1234, you deserve every bad thing that happens to you as a result.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New/Old Threat Against Your Voice Mail-melbrooksspaceballs2.jpg  
    Tulkas, DennyCrane, UI and 1 others like this.

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar

Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me... Rarely is there ever anything of importance in my voicemail, and I can't think of anyone who would care to access it remotely. So as long as I don't leave the phone in a bar somewhere, I can't see there being too many problems.

Blog Entries

You can access your voice mail from any phone. Also this is old, but this is an example of what they can do if they're actually going after you. The people that do this aren't really after individuals, they're more after corporations. However, this doesn't stop others from copy catting their operations and doing it to others just for kicks.

The Canadian company - along with many other Toronto area firms - has reportedly received a large monthly bill due to hackers breaking into their voicemail systems and dialling calls onward.

Martin & Hillyer have been landed with a bill for more than $207 000 and other Greater Toronto companies have reportedly received similar jaw-dropping accounts.

The voicemail hackers are known to dial a number out of hours, wait for automated voicemail and then brute-force attack the system with generic or system admin passwords until they hit paydirt.

Bell Canada's track record suggests it will cut the bills to a more manageable size, but it won't wipe the slate clean.

Oakville, Ontario-based Gordon Cowan, the president of GPS Consulting Group & Insurance Agencies, for example, was hit by $60000 bill for calls made over a 14 hour period one weekend last Autumn.

"I came in on Sunday and there was a call from the Bell Canada fraud squad saying we had been breached. They shut our voicemail system down," Cowan said in an interview at the time.

"They told us to change our passwords, which we have been doing anyway, and they would be in contact with us," he told a local TV news station, adding that a week later the hacking incident happened again.

After parading the 38-page closely printed itemised bill to the media, Bell Canada reduced his bill to $7 000.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMalfunction View Post
    Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me... Rarely is there ever anything of importance in my voicemail, and I can't think of anyone who would care to access it remotely. So as long as I don't leave the phone in a bar somewhere, I can't see there being too many problems.
    It's normally very easy to access remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojingles View Post
    You can access your voice mail from any phone. Also this is old, but this is an example of what they can do if they're actually going after you. The people that do this aren't really after individuals, they're more after corporations. However, this doesn't stop others from copy catting their operations and doing it to others just for kicks.
    Yup yup....
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

MisterX

In todayssmart phone rich environment, I never, ever use voicemail. No answer? I'll send a whatsapp message or txt instead, especially as phone companies are charging for it nowadays when voicemail used to always be free.