Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Googola?

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Re: Googola?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    I think it's hugely different. HP wasn't in the phone business. Google was only in the software business, like MS.

HP's foray into phones has been less than stellar, and I expect they will limp a long for a few more years, then close up.

What happens to the Motorola mobile group will be interesting to watch. Nokia reacted harshly to the MS deal, and that was only a partnership.
    HP was in the phone business prior to acquiring Palm though, so it wasn't a huge leap for them.

As for Google acquiring the mobile front of Moto... I'm betting the biggest part of that is for the patents, so they can hold off Apple's suing of everyone (because they are starting to lose ground).
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

everyone has 2 billion patents now. If google just wanted patent protection, they would've spent 1/8th of that and joined the MS/Apple group for the Nortel patents. They obviously have more on their mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    everyone has 2 billion patents now. If google just wanted patent protection, they would've spent 1/8th of that and joined the MS/Apple group for the Nortel patents. They obviously have more on their mind.
    they put the initial bid in... you think MS/APPLE would let them just join them after?

yes. actually, MS invited Google to their bid.

Blog Entries

holy shit. google is dumb (in this case)

read a few pieces on this, turns out Motorola mobility patents don't offer much protection after all. They're already losing a couple suits to Apple and Microsoft, and analysts are saying that either Google got fooled, or they're not just after patent protection (as Google stated)

Blog Entries

Google might be seeking patent protection for something Moto owns, but people might not think of Google extending to

The best Android handsets are Motorola, IMHO. I think they wanted a turn-key production line with good tech already dialed in.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

12bn is a lot to drop on anything. I really have to think they're going to single source the true Googlephone and let other carriers do what they want with Android.
    Samsung already making noise about it. we'll hear more soon, i'm sure.

I think it's more wanting access to a hardware line, but the patents aren't a downside to the deal. We've seen Google and Motorola work very closely together with the Xoom and the Droids, and we've also seen Google getting ticked about some of the sloppy handling of some Android phones.

I could almost see Google splitting Android into two lines, the "official" Google line and "here's the base, do what you want with it, don't call it Android" line.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast