Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: AT&T To Get Acer Iconia Tablet

AT&T To Get Acer Iconia Tablet

Beginning next week, AT&T will sell their version of the Acer Iconia tablet. It's the A501, which is essentially the same as my A500, but with cell phone circuitry. 2-year contract price is $330, and with no contract, it's $480. This really brings home the dilemma of whether you want to carry 2 devices or not. Let's face it, ANY tablet is a little large to use as your only mobile phone, so this is really a luxury for people who don't mind having 2 mobile numbers (plus your home number if you're one of the dozens of American who still have landline phones...). I've said this before and I will again. It's time consumers have the ability to transfer their phone number to different devices. I can see sometimes where having a tablet on the go that's also your phone would be awesome... and others, (bar, movies, etc) where it would be totally impractical. So, who knows if tablet phones will take off. Personally, I do fine with a phone and a tablet, despite being long skeptical about carrying around 2 devices. The Girl carries a basic pay as you go phone and her iTouch, and manages pretty well. With a smart phone and a wifi tablet, I'm always connected, and often with a great 10" screen for online use.

Will AT&T find enough people to make this work? We'll see.

Iconia Tab A501 posts on CNET
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blog Entries

Re: AT&T To Get Acer Iconia Tablet

I read somewhere that it will be 4g?

Anyway Denny, there's call forwarding. I see co-workers use it all the time to send their desk phones to their cell phones or whatever. I remember Grand Central, either before or after google bought them, you could do something more of what you are speaking about, but I think it was a progressive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
    I read somewhere that it will be 4g?

Anyway Denny, there's call forwarding. I see co-workers use it all the time to send their desk phones to their cell phones or whatever. I remember Grand Central, either before or after google bought them, you could do something more of what you are speaking about, but I think it was a progressive thing.
    Still requires 2 phone numbers for call-forwarding.

Blog Entries

Touche, and I feel like I know what you want now.

I don't see them going toward being able to swap your number between devices anytime soon... but, at least to me, it seems like a no-brainer. IF they did, I'd get an A501 if I didn't already have an A500.

Colombia [CO]
    Tao

ok...so you could have your phone and a tablet. both wifi capable, both "voice" capable.

Denny is AT&T customer X with voice/data account Y. why not have both (or as many) devices each with identical sims tied to account Y, but have the voice functionality gated by software credentialing? so you could effectively "sign in" to your voice account using your user/pass on the device of your choosing. of course, regardless of your hardware's voice status, you can still make 911 emergency calls any time

Seems so simple, yet none of the providers have any interest in actually DOING it.

Of course, Denny will never be AT&T customer X... Y... OR Z.

Something something something DROPPED CALLS
    Something something something CTG!

Colombia [CO]
    Tao

ha!

Germany [DE]
    UI

I doubt this will sell as much as we hope. Customers in retail are afraid of any 2 year commitment that doesn't subsidize the device down to the sub-$100 level. See it all the time, a $150 break in price isn't enough to fool people into believing they're saving in the long run, so they chicken out once the sticker shock comes up.

Not sure why, but AT&T doesn't do well in the tablet market, at least around here. Perhaps it's the data caps and/or lack of any accessories/equipment for the devices...who knows. I'm up for picking one of these up though. A nice 'lil discount will make it easy.

Well, for perspective, I got my A500 for $350 with no contract, but no phone. And, as I said, I can't IMAGINE someone using this thing as their only phone. I'd feel like Fred Flintsone walking around with it, talking.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast