Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Motorola Droid Razr Maxx Review

Re: Motorola Droid Razr Maxx Review

Awesome feature #1:
    When you use the car dock and navigator, once you get to your destination and take the phone out? It notes where your car is parked and will give you directions back. This is a great idea when you've forgotten whether you parked in the Itchy lot or the Scratchy lot.

Useless feature #1
    a digital zoom on the camera. Really? sigh
    akabaloo likes this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

#1 is excellent

Will the car dock for the Droid X fit the dock for the Razr Maxx?

Nope... unfortunately... the physical dimensions are different as are the placements of the USB port. So... yeah, you gotta pony up again for a new one.

So, it's been a week since my review and here's some thoughts on the phone after a little real world use.

1) Battery is, as expected, awesome. It was at 90% when I got home from work yesterday, and now it's at 80%. The first couple days required a couple full charges and discharges to calibrate the meter... and I suspect, get the battery broken in. They claim it's not necessary on newer lithium polymer batteries, but in my experience, you'll be in for a couple dead battery surprises when your phone is new new... afterward, the full potential seems to unlock.

2) 4G LTE is pretty great. Coverage is not quite as great as I'd hoped for here, but most places will get me at least a couple bars which is good for at least a 4mbps signal. I've seen over 35mbps, and I snagged a shot of it where it averages at with a good signal:

Of course, you're limited by the speed that the server will eek data to you, but no longer will your phone connection be a bottle-neck.

3) So far, no real glitches, no lockups, or any of the things that cause a need to reboot, pull the battery, etc. I'm sure it'll happen, it just hasn't yet.

4) The gallery is not as good as it was on my Droid X. Before, video and camera were separated. Now it's all lumped together. Not a huge deal since I use MX video player for most videos, but it does make things cluttered when I'm looking through pictures.

5) Charge time when you DO need it takes a LONG time on a wall adapter and even longer through a PC or a car adapter. This is the price for a monstrous battery. Be ready for it.

6) WiFi, GPS, Plane mode, and Bluetooth are now individual widgets that you can add to a home screen. I generally keep wifi and GPS off, so it's nice to be able to flick to the screen I dropped the widgets and toggle them on or off without going into settings.

7) Books I purchased on my tablet pushed through to my phone. This didn't happen with the Droid X. Not sure the difference, but it's nice to have them on hand in case I want to do some reading when I'm not toting the tab along.

8) By now, I'm sure you heard that the Android Market is now called the "Play Store". It's a Google thing, and although the name REALLY wallows in lameness, actual interaction and UI are pretty much the same. No biggie.

9) Motoprint- an application to send files from your phone to a wifi printer. Nice.

10) GPS- satellites lock on fast and navigation seems about the same.

11) Comparisons with the Samsung Stratosphere and Samsung Illusion 4G phones show web pages loading in less than half the time on the Razr Maxx. This is probably due to the hardware advantages and not any kind of network difference.

So, overall, I'm pretty happy with the Razr Maxx. And one final thing, you DO notice the difference in thinness compared to the Droid X. More than a few times, I had to dig around to find what pocket I'd put the thing.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

that 4g is pretty awesome

Does your RAZR Maxx take forever to charge (enough to boot up) if you let it run out completely?

Naw, if you completely discharge it, it'll take maybe 30 seconds to charge enough to boot.

Update: Battery life seems to be leveled out and it's very good. There are absolutely issues when the phone is new with calibration of the phone's battery meter. I suspect it's the fact the battery has so much capacity, there's a definite learning curve for it to properly show the correct charge. I'll presume this effects charging, as well. But now, I go about 2 days between charges... and even then, it's only down to about 40%.

As stated earlier, when you do need to charge up, it will take significantly longer. This is almost an insignificant factor compared to the benefits of the new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Naw, if you completely discharge it, it'll take maybe 30 seconds to charge enough to boot.
    Looks like my PC's usb charging capability was more awful than I had previously suspected. Takes forever (anywhere from 5-30 minutes) to get it to boot off usb, but almost instantaneous with the wall charger.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast