Page 1 of 71 12611 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: General Mobile Device Thread

General Mobile Device Thread

Seems logical to have a thread for topics that apply to multiple devices.

This is an interesting article on sideloading, piracy, and what different systems are doing about it. RIM is expected to eliminate sideloading (loading apps and programs from a local, unofficial source, like a PC to a phone) on it's next major update. To try to stay afloat, they allowed Android apps to run on their Playbook, and it turned out people are mostly sideloading pirated copies.

RIM says Android app ecosystem is a “cesspool,” but what if Google agreed? | ExtremeTech
    >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: General Mobile Device Thread

sideloading is necessary for business apps, so they better have an extremely easy way to get custom apps on their system, or they're dead

Aaand, they back off. It was ALL just a misunderstanding. Nothing to see here. Buy a Playbook. Move along.

RIM backtracks on PlayBook Android ban plans - Tech News - Digital Spy

lol
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Waaaa! Who let all these people into our 30 million member secret club???

Instagram, Facebook Deal Sparks Privacy Concerns: Here's How to Quit | PCWorld

Nokia is in a sharp decline and Verizon is trending upward.

Nokia, the major Windows phone manufacturer, is having severe profitability issues with it's lower end phone departments. The smart phone division is keeping it's head above water, but sales are definitely dropping. I don't know if the data connectivity problem on launch is the biggest factor here, but it doesn't help a company already in financial trouble. One of the biggest liabilities here is that Nokia just makes the devices. They took a huge risk on Microsoft, just as Microsoft took a huge risk by having Nokia make their flagship. It could cost them both dearly, since it seems Microsoft has gone all in with Nokia here. Nokia sales have dropped $1.6 billion in the last year, and they're over a billion dollars in the hole now. This, despite MS giving them a $250 million every quarter to help them with R&D on Windows Phones. In my humble opinion, Microsoft should have spread themselves over a few makers instead of backing a single questionable company. If Nokia goes teats-up, what then?

Verizon is making MORE money and beating projections due to lower iPhone sales. Since they subsidize smart phone prices, huge iPhone sales means carriers pay through the nose for the phones, discount them to the customers, and hopefully make up the difference and go into profitability later with contracts. Verizon (and other iPhone resellers) lose about $400 on each iPhone they sell. So, Verizon is seeing more cash in their coffers now, but the question is... will this cost them later? Will the still-rising Android sales translate into higher profitability over time? Android phones have less subsidies built in, so if Verizon keeps increasing Android sales and retains old customers while attracting new ones... yes. Mo money fo Big Red.

Nokia Reports Operating Loss on Nokia Siemens Costs - Bloomberg
    Verizon First-Quarter Profit Beats Estimates on Smartphone Sales - Bloomberg

nokia definitely has a lot of issues to overcome. I think they would've been in the same boat regardless of what they did this past year, and I think they need to get back into handset manufacture to recover, not just Windows Phone handsets.

However, this isn't just about Windows Phones, there's a lot more to Nokia's losses than that, as that article describes. Siemens is unprofitable, and that is not a handset division. Nokia tried to unload Siemens last year and couldn't. They simply have made poor investment choices, have lost market share to Apple and Android, and it will take time to recover, if they can.

They're not making money on their low-end phones at all... they're a liability now. Nokia has a chance to get out from underwater IF they can make a go of their smart phones... but MS has to do something to make people buy the damn things. I'm simply not seeing a huge advertising blitz like other makers (Samsung, Apple) have. Also, word has it, Nokia is hedging with plans to make low-cost Android phones either Q4 of this year or early next year.

I think Nokia has to make other smartphones. They manufacture hardware, they should support any OS they can.

Nokia was just barely introduced into the US smartphone market, I think they could do well with android and windows phone handsets. If they put out a Lumia 900 with android, it would sell, and I'm sure they see that.

Possibly, but I think there's a huge market that's largely untapped and overshadowed by the larger flagship phones... the very basic second tier Android phones. Sell them for $50 and let people surf, run apps and play videos or music. The 100 IQ phone.

Page 1 of 71 12611 ... LastLast