Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Windows Phone 8

Re: Windows Phone 8

This is where Windows Phone 7 failed, the over the air updates were not allowed by the carriers. WP8 offers 18 months of them. 18 months from the release of WP8 probably won't be more than a year for most folks who get new phones with WP8.

Windows Phone 8 guarantees 18 months of over-the-air updates, but is that enough? | WMPoweruser

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

it's a guarantee of at least, not a maximum. And thank god they're doing OTA now.

Ehhhh...

Microsoft has seemingly learned to under-promise and over-deliver, but still, shouldn’t it – like Apple – be able to guarantee at least two major updates, especially now with the switch to the NT kernel in Windows Phone 8?
    That presumes it will NEED 2 major updates. Now, security and bug repair updates aside (should be on-going despite age), what if Win8 works just great as-is? Why demand or tie yourself to a specific number? My Maxx is getting a major update that it arguably doesn't "need". It's great as is. The fact Microsoft is improving the update paths with OTA and promising 18 months of support is a good thing.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

2 is arbitrary. What if it needs 4? or 8? or 1? 18 months at least gets you whatever you need for most of your contract (if you sign up early). And like every other phone on the market (yes, including Apple), the newer phones get the latest stuff, whether hardware or software.

And, it can be argued that Apple is notorious for packaging a minor set of tweaks as a Major Update.

Google while they do update the older OS version they do retire their support shortly after a new version comes out. Gingerbread was last updated with 2.3.7 in September 2011, Honeycomb was last updated with 3.2.6 in February 2012. and to top that off you can replace a phone running a certain version of Android with the same exact model phone and not be able to update to the same version of Android you had on the previous phone without hacking/rooting/bootloader unlocking.

Sorry for the rant, but its something that has pissed me off over the last few months.
    Tulkas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDD View Post
    Google while they do update the older OS version they do retire their support shortly after a new version comes out. Gingerbread was last updated with 2.3.7 in September 2011, Honeycomb was last updated with 3.2.6 in February 2012. and to top that off you can replace a phone running a certain version of Android with the same exact model phone and not be able to update to the same version of Android you had on the previous phone without hacking/rooting/bootloader unlocking.

Sorry for the rant, but its something that has pissed me off over the last few months.
    Not saying specifically that is completely untrue but...

First off, it's the manufacturer and the carrier that send out the updates, not Google. Motorola and Verizon continue updates after Google stops. Case in point, the Droid X received a GB update in February of 2012. Yada yada yada.

But with Microsoft working so closely with the manufacturers, and Microsoft being so solid in offering regular updates for Windows PC, I can't see them NOT offering regular updates in a timely fashion.

nice - looks pretty sweet. Wish Ting has a windows phone. (and yeah, still haven't gotten a new phone lol :P)
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

I'm predicting that very soon, carrier-specific phones will go away and about every phone made will be global and usable on any network. Once you're out of contract, you'll be free to use it anywhere. Buy a Win8 phone from AT&T, use it on Verizon later.
    DigitalDD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Not saying specifically that is completely untrue but...

First off, it's the manufacturer and the carrier that send out the updates, not Google. Motorola and Verizon continue updates after Google stops. Case in point, the Droid X received a GB update in February of 2012. Yada yada yada.

But with Microsoft working so closely with the manufacturers, and Microsoft being so solid in offering regular updates for Windows PC, I can't see them NOT offering regular updates in a timely fashion.
    In my case I'm talking about the Nexus One aka the official at the time Google phone. had several updates the first year with the phone got updated all the way to 2.3.7, then had trouble with the headphone jack on the phone, I have insurance so the phone was replaced with a brand new one which is not able to update past 2.3.4, so I had to root/unlock to update it. its the same exact phone as the first, same radio/baseband/revision of hardware/etc.

Fuzzy: From what i have heard Ting is excellent, pay for what you actually use and not have to worry about anything. I know 2 people using Ting and both can't say enough nice things with the exception of the fact that they only have a few phones and they aren't the most desirable phones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast