Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review

Re: Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review

The 16GB looks to be back in stock at the Play store.

Looked earlier and this tablet doesn't seem to be able to be purchased directly from Amazon. I know it's a direct competitor to their Fire, so I'm wondering if the absence of the Nexus on their site is due to an Amazon or a Google decision. I suspect the former.

Yeah, Amazon's not happy with directly selling a major competitor to the Fire. And local stores are getting the N7 in stock. Wal-Mart, Staples, Sam's Club, Sears, GameStop, and more.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Some friends are just annoying J-Mix's Avatar

Hey Denny-

I'm thinking about picking up a Nexus 7 soon but had a couple questions for you.

After a few months of ownership, do you still enjoy it? Do you still use it on a regular basis? My main uses out of it would be netflix/youtube in bed and taking notes on it during class. My main reason for looking at the Nexus 7 is because of the price. I'm a poor college student D: . Also, would it be smart to wait until after this fall to see if a 10inch version comes out?

Credit to JFluff for this amazing sig

I'd highly recommend it, but like I said, make sure you're ok with 16gb and everything else in the cloud. For work (like right now) my 10.1" Acer still gets the most use, but any other time, it's the N7. It's been great.

Some friends are just annoying J-Mix's Avatar

the only major storage I could see myself using it for would be apps, pictures and the occasional movie or so.

I also forgot to mention one of my main reasons to considering it is using it as an e-reader. I'd really like to get back into reading and I also think some texts I'll be needing come in an e-book format.

Do you think the Nexus 10 would be worth the wait? Do you prefer a 10inch or a 7inch?

Credit to JFluff for this amazing sig

The N7 is a good size to carry around and is about perfect as a reader. The 10.1" is a LOT bulkier...especially with a case. I use it at work for flowcharts, diagrams, Schematics, etc. It'd be a pain to carry it along like I do the N7.

I picked up this combo pack:

Amazon.com: CrazyOnDigital Black Stand Rotating Leather Case Cover with Charger and Screen Protector For Google Nexus 7 Tablet (6-item)[Smart Cover Function: Automatically Wakes and Puts the Nexus 7 to Sleep]: Office Products

It includes a case, screen protector, car and home adapters, a USB cable and ear plugs. All I really wanted was the case, but for $21 and change shipped, if ANY of the other goodies worked, it was a bonus. Well, it took 12 days for delivery, but what arrived was worth the wait. The case is great. All leather and it's in 2 pieces. Slide the tab into the sleeve and a velcro tab tucks in and holds it in place. Then a metal snap connector attaches it to the cover. The tab rotates on the snap, so you can prop it up in portrait or landscape mode. Great for movies or e-reading. And, the cover has the smart case technology... a small magnet in a specific location... that turns the screen off and puts the tablet to sleep when closed and when opened, wakes up the tab and turns the screen back on. Nifty.

I haven't used the screen protector yet, and might not, but the car and home chargers work fine. The ear buds are... cheap. I'll throw them in a drawer with other seldom/never used mobile schtuffs. So, for the price, it's a hell of a deal. I wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 09-01-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Wheres the Samsung review thread at? Come on slacker.

Google is beginning to roll out Android version 4.1.2 for the Nexus 7. It's a minor update with a few bug and performance tweaks, but the one big thing is something I mentioned in my review- locking the home-screen in portrait mode. 4.1.2 will allow landscape mode and horizontal scrolling through the screens. The tablet is small enough to be able to comfortably hold in portrait, but I personally prefer it in landscape. I like the layout of icons and widgets on my 10.1" tab much better... and those are all geared toward me using it almost exclusively in landscape.

I haven't gotten the update yet and I have no idea how fast they'll roll this out, but being a pure Android device from Google, it'll be soon. This will be the 3rd update the Nexus 7 has received so far.

Google Nexus 7 Android 4.1.2 Update Rolls-Out Check Out What It Brings

Oh wait... You CAN update it now.

1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All

2. Find Google Services Framework.

3. Tap on Force Stop.

4. Select Clear Data.

5. Head back to the Nexus 7s Settings, go to About, and check for a System Update.

6. If you did it correctly, you will see a "last checked" date of 1969. You might not get the update on the first try. Some people report it taking 5 tries, repeating the entire process. I got it on the second try.

Boom!

Skadoosh!
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 10-13-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Debating between this, Kindle FireHD, Kindle Paper White, and waiting on iPad Mini.

I'm gonna use $50 amazon gift card, so probably not gonna wait on the iPad if it ever comes.
    It's gonna be for my dad. Not sure to get him a tablet, or just an e-reader.
    If I get him a tablet, I'll probably end up getting myself the Kindle Paper White anyway.

Just wondering why this over Kindle Fire HD?

Edit: Never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    The Nexus 7 is thinner, lighter, and has a better screen. The Fire has no camera, has a weaker processor, and what's essentially a modified phone operating system. The Nexus beats it in about every measurable category.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34