Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Surface $199 ??

Microsoft Surface $199 ??

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: Microsoft Surface $199 ??

No.

Microsoft already stated it would 'compete with comparable tablets', meaning the iPad. Which puts it around $599. I would expect that they'd like to undercut that some, so I'm expecting minimum $399 (prob $499) for the Surface RT and probably $799 for the Surface Pro (at lower hardware specs).

When you get into the 10" sizes with the higher resolution IPS screens, the tegra3 processor, 2gb ram, there simply is no room for $199 (without subsidy). I can't see $299 either. A starting price of $499 seems more probable to me. The pro, with a core i processor and larger SSD, will likely be in the $799-999 range.

Look at the current ASUS transformer - very similar specs to their tablet running Windows 8 (the 600), and it goes for $399 with Android and only 1gb ram. You can bet the specs will get a bump up and so will the price, plus you add the Win8 license cost.

With subsidy, like "buy the xbox music service for $9.99/month for 2 years", maybe then you get a $199.

Hmm Xbox Gold bundle for 2-3 years including music service and maybe tv streaming for subsidy price of $200? Could be a winnah.

If they drop a fully-integrated xbox platform onto WinRT and bundle Gold with it for 2 years, definitely.

why not build your base by slapping apple in the knutz with a low price point. When new consoles hit the market they usually sell at a loss hardware wise. I know its an apple-orange thing but still...

I think that's the point, it's apples to oranges. Console purchases almost guarantee the user buy games and online services, movies, etc. A tablet is different. And it's different than phones, which are easily subsidized by the $80/mo users spend on a phone plan.

This can't be a loss leader for Microsoft - they've already reduced Windows 8 pricing to attract users. No, Microsoft isn't planning on selling 10m Surfaces - they're not 'going into' the PC business, it's more like how Google did the Nexus line - it's more of a 'pure' option. I expect the Surface will cost more than the offerings from partners like Asus, otherwise, why would they bother competing with MS? If MS low-balls Asus and HP and Lenovo, they wouldn't bother with an RT tablet at all. Microsoft's Surface OEM (allegedly the same as Apple's iPad OEM) can't ramp up like HP/Asus can, and MS knows they aren't going to sell 900m licenses of Win8 themselves.

There are just too many reasons why it can't be $199 and so many pointing at $499+.

I think that's the point, it's apples to oranges. Console purchases almost guarantee the user buy games and online services, movies, etc. A tablet is different. And it's different than phones, which are easily subsidized by the $80/mo users spend on a phone plan.

This can't be a loss leader for Microsoft - they've already reduced Windows 8 pricing to attract users. No, Microsoft isn't planning on selling 10m Surfaces - they're not 'going into' the PC business, it's more like how Google did the Nexus line - it's more of a 'pure' option. I expect the Surface will cost more than the offerings from partners like Asus, otherwise, why would they bother competing with MS? If MS low-balls Asus and HP and Lenovo, they wouldn't bother with an RT tablet at all. Microsoft's Surface OEM (allegedly the same as Apple's iPad OEM) can't ramp up like HP/Asus can, and MS knows they aren't going to sell 900m licenses of Win8 with just the Surface.

There are just too many reasons why it can't be $199 and so many pointing at $499+.

Prices aside, I have enough trouble with these new low profile keyboards when it comes to finding the keys. What kind of tactile feel will that thing have? I can't imagine that working well. I like to feel - need to feel the keys. Just too weird......

What exactly does MS do well these days? Well, Win7 boots way faster than Vista (at least an improvement if nothing else). They did beat Sony to the market with the 360 at a lower price. Um, can't think of anything else just now.
    To make a game people can love, you have to love it first.

Kinect, WP7, Skydrive, Azure, Windows 8, Xbox, Microsoft Research, free software for students, Office Web apps that actually work, Webmatrix, Microsoft Security Essentials, Worldwide Telescope, Photosynth, the Expression suite, Studio, original Surface, sql server, new Outlook.com... can't think of anything else right now.

Silly me.....

How do you feel about GFWL?
    To make a game people can love, you have to love it first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast