Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Racing Game HUDs

Re: Racing Game HUDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwedge View Post
    Well, I am trying to get feedback on good HUDs but I'll bite, what IS the most important aspect of a racing game in your opinion?
    Good depends on what you're looking for in a game. That could be very different if you're into the more realistic game vs the more cartoony games.

I can't really define good, but I can define bad. Look up Jeep Thrills for Wii. Horrible physics, horrible graphics even for Wii, unresponsive vehicles, etc... I basically threw the game out it was so bad. I'm hoping nobody here worked on the game, but it seemed just to be a cheap money grab that used the Jeep name.

but it seemed just to be a cheap money grab that used the Jeep name
    They usually are. It doesn't offend me if they give it away for free, but asking money for it is another thing.
    Last edited by Mindwedge; 08-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    To make a game people can love, you have to love it first.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    For me at least, is overall accuracy. In GT5, I make changes to the car's suspension depending on whether I'm racing on a relatively flat track like Indy or a high-banked oval like Daytona...or a twisty road course. And the changes yield predictable results. It boils down to the physics engine. In my experience, this makes a game like GT5 as close to real racing as you're going to get in front of a monitor.
    Have you tried out iRacing or any of the Simbin games? Sounds like you favor sims over arcade racers.

Do you have a wheel hooked up to that PS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Teck View Post
    Where as a game like NFS targets a significantly different caliber of player because its easier to play.
    NFSU titles: biggest sellers of all time.

I could go even further and say that your choice in a favorite FPS may often influences your choice in racing game...
    Please do!

Blog Entries

Okay... Well, without writing a totally new "Sock Theory" and keeping it short... I think that for most people the lack of realism in a Racing game will indicate that they prefer a more realistic FPS, and the opposite is generally true.

Now, you may ask... What is this supported by? Well, It's something that another member and I once had an impossibly long convo about it and I still believe that in general... It holds true.
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Sounds like a good poll question. Me, I like realism in both.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blog Entries

Yet, you played CSS forever :P

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

Exactly. Not the most modern graphics but good physics, real life weapons, etc. No jet packs, photon torpedoes, demon monsters... it was realistic
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

It's something that another member and I once had an impossibly long convo about it
    I think we have a clue on who "another member" is....

@ Denny: So graphics is not on the top of your realism list I take it. Interesting. Did you try my demo? We used newtonian physics, but a number of other things are heavily tweaked. The explosion forces have a heavy upward push for comedy's sake, and the trucks have overly grippy tires (at these speeds it's necessary) and the CG is lowered to just above the ground. The CG is however toward the front of the vehicle, as you might expect with a front-engine vehicle.

Oh, and collision forces are tweaked in favor of the player in easy and normal difficulty so you can bash the AI around, but try it in hard mode. And if you're a skilled racer you'll find out soon enough, as in hard mode you're on equal ground with the AI. But be warned, they're very good at steering even when turned. The only way to beat them is to use the best line, and be a little more creative where nitrous use and braking is concerned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Exactly. Not the most modern graphics but good physics, real life weapons, etc. No jet packs, photon torpedoes, demon monsters... it was realistic
    CSS falls into a middle ground... It's not exactly Arma or BF2, but its not Quake either...

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwedge View Post
    I think we have a clue on who "another member" is....
    It was AceMcMac after NFS:MW came out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast