Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Game HUDs

Racing Game HUDs

Which racing game had the best HUD (Heads-Up Display), and why did you like it?
    To make a game people can love, you have to love it first.

Re: Racing Game HUDs

Hard one to answer, the perfect hud is almost unnoticable, conveys the information without covering up half the screen.

I'll go for Pitstop II

That.

It's going to depend on how much screen the HUD is going to cover, and how much information it has to convey. Too little information for the game and it gets frustrating, too much and you can't see the track.

But for the question, I still rather like Cruis'n USA's:

IMHO, GT5 is it.

Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Blog Entries

I agree GT5.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Blog Entries

So, I spent a good couple days thinking about this (thus, my slow response).... And I think that NFS: Carbon had the best HUD.

It had everything you needed and nothing you didn't. It's map faded out on the edges so that you focus on the immediate areas that you needed to pay attention to... Had a simple way to show the gear, speed, rpm's, and any extra stuff you had.

That said, I'm not convinced that the hud is the most important aspect to a racing game. Sure if the HUD sucks the game loses points, but it doesn't mean you'll stop playing it for that reason alone.
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Well, I am trying to get feedback on good HUDs but I'll bite, what IS the most important aspect of a racing game in your opinion?
    To make a game people can love, you have to love it first.

Blog Entries

Gameplay... More specifically, how well the controls / vehicle react... The balance between realism and "ease" of playing is dependent on the target audience.

I.E., GRID and the GT series target a more serious racing game enthusiast... Where as a game like NFS targets a significantly different caliber of player because its easier to play.

Different kinds of racing game players are looking for something different... You see that here with the kinds of racing games guys like. Those preferences drive to the heart of what they play and the bias in kinds of HUD's.

I could go even further and say that your choice in a favorite FPS may often influences your choice in racing game...
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

Blog Entries

I think my favorite part of racing, other than the racing part itself, is the sound of each individual car. I hate playing games that every car sounds the same or having a Boss 429 and a Cuda that sounds like a Honda Civic.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwedge View Post
    Well, I am trying to get feedback on good HUDs but I'll bite, what IS the most important aspect of a racing game in your opinion?
    For me at least, is overall accuracy. In GT5, I make changes to the car's suspension depending on whether I'm racing on a relatively flat track like Indy or a high-banked oval like Daytona...or a twisty road course. And the changes yield predictable results. It boils down to the physics engine. In my experience, this makes a game like GT5 as close to real racing as you're going to get in front of a monitor.
    Don't argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast