Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brink (rpg/fps)

Re: Brink (rpg/fps)

the SMART button sounds confusing, is that something like the VATS system from Fallout:3? Where you click a button and basically stop time to pick out your shots? Can't see how that would work in an online PvP situation. I get a definite Borderlands vibe from it, but better somehow... crisper graphics maybe? Hopefully it has alot of cool weaponry and accessories to play around with. That was always the best part of borderlands, you could get a regular assault rifle or sometimes a shotgun that would shoot spirals of blue orbs, never knew what was coming next.

i think im gonna go play borderlands or something now, got the itch for some FPSin

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

United States [US]
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    the SMART button sounds confusing, is that something like the VATS system from Fallout:3? Where you click a button and basically stop time to pick out your shots? Can't see how that would work in an online PvP situation. I get a definite Borderlands vibe from it, but better somehow... crisper graphics maybe? Hopefully it has alot of cool weaponry and accessories to play around with. That was always the best part of borderlands, you could get a regular assault rifle or sometimes a shotgun that would shoot spirals of blue orbs, never knew what was coming next.

i think im gonna go play borderlands or something now, got the itch for some FPSin
    no, the SMART system in Brink isn't like VATS in the Fallout universe...it's all about player movement and control, not combat...I'm trying to find a tech demo of it that explains the concepts behind the SMART system, but for now here's a summary from an earlier preview of the game and two videos from Brink's official site showcasing it...

Preview from last fall: Splash Damage’s Brink: This Is How It Is | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Then there’s movement. You and I know how to navigate a first-person videogame world, and how to muster at least a degree of the momentum necessary for survival in a multiplayer shooter. Many, many people don’t – the coordination and forward-planning necessary for bounding over or ducking under obstacles isn’t something they already know how to do. So there’s the SMART system, a one-button control that auto-hurdles walls or slides under barriers. It’s not as simplistic or detached as Assassin’s Creed – while it does do a fair chunk of the legwork for you, it’s context based. So, look up while running to signal that your intent is to jump or climb when you approach the next obstacle, or down to home-run-slide under a low-slung thinger.

I can feel the heat of the fury-steam of the “OMG dumbed down for consoles!” crowd from here. Yes, it is designed to be accessible to those who would normally run a mile, but you don’t have to use SMART. You can jump and duck and whatnot manually if you wish, and SD claim doing so does give you an edge (presuming you’re good at that kind of thing). Player matchmaking is done according to their level, so if you’re unnatural good at shooters you’ll find yourself levelling pretty quickly and, in turn, facing off against folk of equivalent experience/ability rather than feckless newcomers.
    Brink SMART related Videos:

Brink Game Official Site | Splash Damage | Bethesda Softworks - Freedom of Movement Preview

Brink Game Official Site | Splash Damage | Bethesda Softworks - The Dawn of S.M.A.R.T.

United States [US]
    joe

ah, here it is, it wasn't a video, it was a developer diary...it's a must read in my opinion...

Brink Game Official Site | Splash Damage | Bethesda Softworks - BRINK DEVELOPER DIARY #4 - AUBREY HESSELGREN

and if the link isn't enough to get you to click, how about a picture...

United States [US]
    joe

YouTube - BRINK - Abilities Trailer: "Ready and Able"

outside of Portal 2 and World of Tanks, Brink is the game I'm looking forward to the most at the moment (it also doesn't hurt that there doesn't appear to be much between Brink's release and the end of August in terms of exciting new games)...if you read the bethesda blog you'll see that the release date has moved up a week (May 10 and 13, America and Europe) and that the system specs and features have been announced...

With the inclusion of Steamworks, players will have the following features…

Steam Achievements
    VOIP (in addition to the already existing in-game chat)
    Leaderboards
    VAC (Valve Anti Cheat)
    Dedicated Servers
    Friends Support
    Steam Cloud (for save data)
    After the break, check out the game’s minimum and recommended system specs…

Minimum Specs

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or equivalent
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GS / ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro or equivalent
    Hard Drive: 8GB of free space

Recommended Specs

Processor: Intel Quad Core i5
    Memory: 3GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon™ HD 5850
    Hard Drive: 8GB of free space

Germany [DE]
    UI

Preordered this last night. Can't wait!

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

omg it's like a real TF2 FPS without all the bullshit and hats!!!

Germany [DE]
    UI

Yeah I hear Craig has stake in splash damage.

MisterX

How many of you are Getting Brink?

Germany [DE]
    UI

Picking it up on ps3 on release day, but there will probably still be no PSN.

MisterX

well i hope the single player part is entertaining for you UI

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast