Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest On Blizzard & Diablo 3

The Latest On Blizzard & Diablo 3

(picture courtesy of Diablofans.com)

There's no doubt that if you're into the hack 'n slash type of game that is Diablo 2, you've played the excellent Runic Games offering called Torchlight to death just to get a fix until Diablo 3 comes along. Well after running through Torchlight one more time recently, and hacking the crap out of it with mods just to see how highly scalable the game really is (and OMG is it ever!), I couldn't help but start to wonder what's going on with Blizzard's upcoming Diablo offering.

After doing a little digging around online, here's the latest I could find out about the current state of affairs with Diablo 3:

Blizzard News

• Activision mentions in an SEC filing that there are several upcoming Diablo franchise titles...several.

• Blizzard's annual convention, Blizzcon, is slated for October 22nd and 23rd in Anaheim, CA. We can only hope to learn more about a possible ETA and see more gameplay this fall at Blizzcon.

• If you can't attend the convention in person, you will be able to stream it on your PC in its entirety for $39 bucks. Or you can buy DirectTV and the fine folks in space will give it to you for free.

• Blizzard is probably buying even more gold with which to paint their toilets with based upon early projections of Starcraft 2 sales.

• Blizzard continues to hint at a console title. Please don't make Diablo 3 cross-platform!!

Diablo 3 Character Classes & Gameplay

• Four of the five character classes have been announced, and each one can be played as a male or a female. Thank you Blizzard!

• The fifth and final class, yet unannounced, may possibly be a ranged character like the Amazon from Diablo 2 as each other class seems to be covered by the current four, confirmed classes in the game.

• Some sleuthing Diablo nerds have begun digging through fuzzy pictures taken from Blizzard offices of possible new monsters, or the final character class in the game... and their thoughts aren't half bad.

• Blizzard announces via Twitter that Diablo 3 runs on its own game engine, not that of just-released Starcraft 2.

But When?!

• Blizzard has taken to referring the big question of when to the Soon page on their website. Which is apparently trademarked... who knew?

• In all seriousness the when question is a tough one, and frankly one that even Blizzard may not know just yet. It is not out of the realm of possibility that they're looking for a summer 2011 launch as Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction both came out during the warm J-months of the year.

• The famous blue-posters (if you don't know what that term means, you're not nearly enough of a nerd to hang to this point in the post anyway) are seeding the web with various posts that seem to paint a picture that progress is being made and that no one is pulling their hair out yet. See some of the posts in Blizzard's Diablo-specific Twitter feed, they seem quite positive and jovial.

• Keep your fingers crossed!

So for now all we can really do is sit and wait. Keep connected to that Diablo Twitter feed, and even an iApp if you have the hardware, that focuses on what's going on in the world of Blizzard and Diablo 3. There is little doubt that with Starcraft 2 out the door, Blizzard is laser focused on delivering a great game in the next iteration of the Diablo franchise.

And one more thing... when we do finally get a release date, just know that I'll be setting up a support group for those of us that were single and could quest for days on end with no sleep when Diablo 2 came out all those years ago, but are now married with children and careers. I know I'm going to need all the support I can get if the game is half as cool as this!

Last edited by wootini; 08-01-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Germany [DE]
    UI

Re: The Latest On Blizzard & Diablo 3

Must.....resist....thinking about D3...........

Dammit, who am I kidding. This game is going to be incredible. Perhaps the one thing that will get me to build a new computer and simultaneously destroy my new marriage.

Support group, meeting 1, Wake Forest, NC.

"Hi I'm w00tini, and I'm an addict"

Germany [DE]
    UI

hahahaha

I can see it now...

like you'll be able to leave the basement long enough to go to meetings. better just put the house up for sale now.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

When D3 comes out, Hotel del Brak will be open for all recently divorced born again 14 year-olds.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    rofl we're all 69 at heart

I heard that D3 was supposed to come out before the first "expansion" of SC2. and lol, I wouldn't doubt that somebody could make a D3 mod from the SC2 game either! But yeah, Diablo goodness hopefully next year!
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Hi my name is Rage , I would like to join the support group!
    rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Rage1 View Post
    Hi my name is Rage , I would like to join the support group!
    rofl
    Welcome sir! have a seat over here next to Brak

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogik View Post
    I heard that D3 was supposed to come out before the first "expansion" of SC2. and lol, I wouldn't doubt that somebody could make a D3 mod from the SC2 game either! But yeah, Diablo goodness hopefully next year!
    You bet, they already have Golden Axe/Double Dragon style beat em' up side scollers so im sure a D3 mod is not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    rofl we're all 69 at heart

Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast