Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Witcher 3 - Any Witch way but loose

The Witcher 3 - Any Witch way but loose

OK thats not the actual tag line.

It comes out today and I for one can't wait to get my hands on it.
    All the previews and early reviews are most promising indeed.

I loved the first one, it had its flaws sure, but it was certainly very good.

They also promise all future DLC will be free, a rarity today.

Home - thewitcher.com

Available from all good retailers. And some bad ones too.
    Last edited by MisterX; 08-14-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Re: The Witcher 2 - The Witchening

I really look forward to this, as I thoroughly enjoyed the first. I think I had close to 100 hours there, and there is still desire to go back and play more

The first was one of my favorite games. Downloading Witcher 2 now... hurry up Steam!
    AMD FX-8350 @4.0Ghz, ASrock 990FX Extreme4, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1866, EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0 4GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Roccat Kone XTD, Roccat ISKU, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Antec 1200

I'll grab it when's on sale cuz i'm a cheap bastard. that, and all of the internet help will be savvy by then

First impressions were mixed.
    I had no sound at all, then after some searching found out that it doesnt like 7.1. so switched to 5.1. hey presto sound did spew forth
    Started it on normal and took the "dragon" conversation option in the dungeon. ( i'm giving nothing away here its literally within the first minute) I immediately got my ass handed to me repeatedly within 10 seconds No clue given on how combat works other than a tooltip that was onscreen for 0.32 microseconds telling you to left click to attack enemies. Nothing about Blocking, rolling, magic etc

In a bout of frustration, I left the game for some soothing Bad Company 2 then came back to it and tried again this time taking another conversation choice, and getting royally pissed off at being killed repeatedly, But then It started to click. I found the previously unmentioned block key and magic key and it started to come together.

My Point is the game does not help you in many ways you may be accustomed to. It assumes you already know far more than you do. but once you crack the shell a little all its creamy goodness starts to ooze out.
    The graphics are gorgeous if you have a reasonably good spec machine to run it.
    It certainly looks like it will be a very deep and rewarding experience.

But take my Pro Tip. Look at the instructions! or at least the controls. ( I know that breaks the man code, but we'll keep it between ourselves M'kay?)
    Last edited by MisterX; 05-18-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Agreed MisterX. I got through the first three hours of the game yesterday, and while it is great looking, there were indeed some WTF moments with the gameplay/controls. I think as I settle into it more the game will get better and better.
    AMD FX-8350 @4.0Ghz, ASrock 990FX Extreme4, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1866, EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0 4GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Roccat Kone XTD, Roccat ISKU, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Antec 1200

Quote Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
    First impressions were mixed.
    I had no sound at all, then after some searching found out that it doesnt like 7.1. so switched to 5.1. hey presto sound did spew forth
    Started it on normal and took the "dragon" conversation option in the dungeon. ( i'm giving nothing away here its literally within the first minute) I immediately got my ass handed to me repeatedly within 10 seconds No clue given on how combat works other than a tooltip that was onscreen for 0.32 microseconds telling you to left click to attack enemies. Nothing about Blocking, rolling, magic etc

In a bout of frustration, I left the game for some soothing Bad Company 2 then came back to it and tried again this time taking another conversation choice, and getting royally pissed off at being killed repeatedly, But then It started to click. I found the previously unmentioned block key and magic key and it started to come together. I would expect the sequel to be the same

My Point is the game does not help you in many ways you may be accustomed to. It assumes you already know far more than you do. but once you crack the shell a little all its creamy goodness starts to ooze out.
    The graphics are gorgeous if you have a reasonably good spec machine to run it.
    It certainly looks like it will be a very deep and rewarding experience.

But take my Pro Tip. Look at the instructions! or at least the controls. ( I know that breaks the man code, but we'll keep it between ourselves M'kay?)
    that's weird. I heard of the game first from a friend. I went and steam-bought it on faith. After I got into it, I asked how he was doing, and he explained he hated the game because he couldn't figure out the controls. You just have to put the time in to understand things before jumping in

I think as gamers we have been spoilt with in game tuturials and constant handholding through the early stages of games.

I suppose is a nice change to force you to figure things out for yourself for once.
    It was a better sense of accomplishment when I got the gist of the swordplay and realised that dodging and blocking are more important than franticly left clicking.

It was however made a little more frustrating due to the fixed autosave points and having to go through the same long bits again and again.

The rewards are well worth it though, If you stick with it for a bit.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

there's a big difference between figuring stuff out (a gaming objective) and not knowing how to play it (a UI issue). I love games like Grim Fandango and the like, where you have to figure things out for yourself - but it's not a frustrating "what do I do" experience where you just don't know which buttons to push to accomplish what you know you want to do.

The Witcher 2 is getting killer reviews. I'm taking a break for now, but am on my second play-through (different choices this time). Even compared with games like Mass effect, if your system can handle the stress it is one beautiful game that I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys RPG's. The mature content and sense of humor is endearing, and as a fan of the first game I don't think they could have done any better. They knocked the ball out of the park with this one.

Last edited by OD-BLOODED-1; 06-28-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast