Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mudding

http://www.unreal2.com
    yea the ystill are a lot of fun and I've gotta say that I've had more fun with towers.angband.com than I've had with some of the new games I've bought

even though... I didnt get a nice laptop to just play muds on :P

Vex

MU*

I play a large MUSH daily.
    It's good for the imagination, and much heavier roleplaying element than normal MUD (which is still more hack and slash oriented). I've been MU*ing (Mud, Mush, Muse, Mux, etc) for over 15 years and don't intend to stop anytime soon, not even on my new 8887.

I guess I'll stop playing MU* about the same time I stop reading books. Just because you have a good video card doesn't mean your imagination is a waste.

Cheers.

=Vex=

http://www.unreal2.com
    well said you might wanna check out http://www.angband.com/towers

its one of the most unique muds ive ever played on and its codebase is lp

very cool tolkienish mud

Re: MU*

Originally posted by Vex
    I play a large MUSH daily.
    It's good for the imagination, and much heavier roleplaying element than normal MUD (which is still more hack and slash oriented). I've been MU*ing (Mud, Mush, Muse, Mux, etc) for over 15 years and don't intend to stop anytime soon, not even on my new 8887.

I guess I'll stop playing MU* about the same time I stop reading books. Just because you have a good video card doesn't mean your imagination is a waste.

Cheers.

=Vex=
    Hi. How is a MUSH more role-playing oriented than a MUD? Aren't both sort of computer-stats based, across the internet? I've tried only some regular MUDs for short times, so I'm not really in the know.
    Bah, humbug.

The One
    Down near the center of the earth; where it's still warm

Re: USE?

Originally posted by Icefluxx
    If you mud most of the time, it would seem that an ati radeon anything would be useless.
    Yeah but you aught to see the Radeon play my MUD's in 16 million colors! I can have a different color text for EVERY single action in the game! And man how it flies through those "text maps"!

"I figured out what's wrong with life; it's the other people"

Dilbert

Vex

Re: Re: MU*

Originally posted by Yale2006
    Hi. How is a MUSH more role-playing oriented than a MUD? Aren't both sort of computer-stats based, across the internet? I've tried only some regular MUDs for short times, so I'm not really in the know.
    Put into simple terms, most MUDs are player vs. computer, though the players may work in teams, or in some cases fight other players. But the combat is more or less completely automatic. In a sense a MUD is alot like a text version of EQ.
    The emphasis is on combat, not on roleplay, though some MUDs may have more emphasis on RP than others.

MUSHes on the other hand, are pure RP environments. There are no computer controlled enemies. Every character, every friend, every enemy is a real person. Combat may be coded to be automatic, or may be roleplayed based on stats, or coded in any variety of forms. However the emphasis on MUSH is not always on combat, but rather on any number of things, in particular mysteries, plots, and other storylines which *include* combat.
    The quality of roleplay is no contest between MUSH and MUD.
    It is a fair characterization to say that MUSHers are *far* more eloquent, and the game itself is far less limited in scope, and not "on rails" like a MUD. It is purely an open ended environment. In addition, MUSHes allow players to add to the universe (building objects-and programming/coding them, houses/buildings/places, customizing their characters more, etc etc etc.).

There are as many Mushes as there are themes. Star Trek, Babylon 5, D&D, White Wolf Worlds of Darkness, DUNE, Lord of the Rings, and just about any popular RPG system, series of books, or science fiction series which was ever popular.

Hope that answers the questions.

Cheers.

=Vex=

Re: Re: Re: MU*

Originally posted by Vex
    Put into simple terms, most MUDs are player vs. computer, though the players may work in teams, or in some cases fight other players. But the combat is more or less completely automatic. In a sense a MUD is alot like a text version of EQ.
    The emphasis is on combat, not on roleplay, though some MUDs may have more emphasis on RP than others.

=Vex=
    Thanks! Still, I just don't see how this could work. I mean, even if maybe there's not as much combat in a MUSH, it's still completely computer-generated and stat-based, right? You can't just have a chat room and people sort of doing whatever they want. I guess what I'm saying is, how are the actual rules any different?

Cheers.
    Bah, humbug.

Vex

Re: Re: Re: Re: MU*

Originally posted by Yale2006
    Thanks! Still, I just don't see how this could work. I mean, even if maybe there's not as much combat in a MUSH, it's still completely computer-generated and stat-based, right? You can't just have a chat room and people sort of doing whatever they want. I guess what I'm saying is, how are the actual rules any different?

Cheers.
    The difference is really quite pronounced.
    First, mushes are all different from one another, whereas, combat on a MUD is generally the same as others. For example, on a mud, I type "attack troll" and then the MUD handles the combat, while I sit back and am basically an observer. (You hit the troll for 20. The troll hits you for 30. You miss the troll. The troll hits you for 12. - etc).

On mushes this varies but it is almost never like the above. For one thing, there isn't any computer based "trolls" (monsters). You are dealing with real opponents (people). Now, some are stat based, and some are not. Some have a semi-automated combat system and some do not. On ones without stats players are expected not to act like "twinks". If they do nobody will play with them. If they are jerks, they will be banned. MUSHes generally consist of experienced and mature roleplayers. On the one I play, which is stat based, combat is handled via hardcoded dice rolls. But this allows the flexibility to do *ANYTHING* which is feasible. Dodging, ducking, rolling, gymnastic leaps, MATRIX-style combat scenes replete with swords, machine guns, fists, armored vehicles, and the like. Your character progresses through a system of experience points which is based on how long you have been active, as well as a system which allows other people to grant you experience points based on roleplay. You can then spend these experience points in any way you wish. On stats, on skills, on powers, on knowledge, on *anything*. In short, the MUSH I play is very much like a tabletop RPG where hundreds of people can play simultaneously in a large world. And it's better than tabletop because it is easier to suspend your disbelief in the environment you're playing in, and dealing with dice and other factors (like worrying about your stats) is partially handled by the game programming itself (i.e. more transparent to the player).

Hope that explains some.

Cheers!

=Vex=

Oh, ok. I guess I see it now. I think it depends on the user's tastes too. Some people like a whole lot of automatic stuff going on; just think about sports. In any case, the PvP sensation does make it sound more appealing. It's sort of akin to Unreal with Bots versus multiplayer.

Cheers.
    Bah, humbug.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12