Thread: Broken Video Cards Wanted

Broken Video Cards Wanted

Just curious if you guys have any video cards which have begun artifacting/lines on screen/blank display/can't get to windows. If you don't want said card I'm willing to pay you for shipping costs and whatever you think they are worth (within reason; I'm assuming these are unused cards you'd eventually toss). I've started salvaging video cards, and recently managed to successfully repair a friends artifacting HD 4850 and want to see how well I can do with a small test group before dropping mad dough on a lot of busted cards on ebay.

Re: Broken Video Cards Wanted

have 2 for you, GTX 560 and a 9800GT both of them just started to overheat all the time i'd get artifacting and lines everwhere. throw me an offer, the GTX 560 is still pretty functional, i just knew it was on its way out so i replaced it.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

I stopped getting down with this since it was too much of a hassle. (swamped with school/work/suing some broad/etc.) If you've given up on the cards, remove everything you can off of them and clean off all thermal grease. Bake it in your oven (forgot the temps, look em up online) for like 8-10 minutes. This reflows the solder on the board. I fixed a GTX 580, my friends HD 4850, and a few random 78XX/88XX/98XX series this way. It isn't guaranteed to work, but it's worth a shot. My friend's 4850 was artifacting like crazy and the reflow made it a little better (after ~5 minutes). We cranked the temp and ran it another 8 and it worked perfect for like 8 months before it started acting weird. The other cards still run fine, and I suspect my friend's current problem is software related. You've got pretty much nothing to lose, and if you've moved on to a different card you can keep it as a backup or re-sell it on ebay as seller refurbished. You don't even have to say you baked it, just sold as is seller refurbished card. You can get at least $100-125 for the 560, and at least $50 for the 9800. I say sell em both and scoop a new 7850/7870 on sale. If you're feelin nvidia you can always hold out for the 650 or drop an extra c-note on the 660. Either way you'd be getting a pretty hefty performance boost.

edit: you can even make somewhat decent money doing this. I almost bought some lots of artifacting high end nvida/amd cards, but I got too busy. Even if only a few cards work you've already made a decent amount of coin, and from what I've experienced, typically 60-80% of cards start working (assuming no blown caps or damaged pcb). What doesn't work can always be pieced out as sold as-is, not working. Even broken high end cards seem to sell for a decent amount.

meh just wanted them outta my hair. no worries.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi