Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a little input-Notebook for games and video editing

Need a little input-Notebook for games and video editing

I've sunk enough money into my desktop... between tempermental capture cards, hardware conflicts and the inability to take it with me, I've decided that a notebook is in the future. I've been in the market for a system that will handle games and video editing.

Funny, not long ago I would have laughed at the words "notebook", "games", and "video editing" appearing in the same sentence.

This is what I know for sure:

Firewire is a must. 4 pin, ok (not a problem, most have 4 pin) 6 pin preferred.
    4200 RPM drives are out of the question.
    Radeon 9600 (all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy)
    Budget of $1500 +/-

The systems that I have looked at so far are nice but some have their drawbacks.

Gateway M505x has been getting good reviews had both 4 and 6 pin firewire but has a dinky, slow drive. The 505xl is better but at $1800 and the probability of not getting the 5400 rpm drive, the shine gets a little tarnished.

The aOpen 1557/ABS zForce F2/Cyberpower S4 has also been getting good reviews and aside from a button problem people seem to love it.

Emachines m6805/m6807. Athlon 64. Questionable hard drive situation. Can't help but feel that they cut some corners to get the price down.

Any other suggestions? Any experience with video on a laptop? Thanks!

I can't imaging doing NLE without a trusty hardware DV accelarator...are you sure a laptop is right for the job? Just imagine the long rendering time and the sub-par quality of software codecs...
    Each empty snakelike body floats,
    Silent sorrow in empty boats.
    A sickly sourness fills the room,
    The bitter harvest of a dying bloom.

I do a lot of video editing and switched to a notebook more than a year ago.
    most of my editing is from DV(sony vx1000,pan AG-EZ-1 both 3 chip cameras
    with great low light proformance,all my work is bowhunting,and wildlife).I use an
    external firewire HD for all video cap and usally brun to DVD.The best notebook
    I've used is a Medion MD2900 it looks exactly like a Gateway 505,but is P4-m
    2.4,has 6 and 4 pin firewire(made by Wistron) for any NLE I use an ADS AV
    bridge,analog in firewire out,works great.In my experiance DV cap. has always worked without droped frames on 5400 rpm drive,I think it will never exceed
    20/mbs(never use usb 2 for capture it has too much overhead)you need lots of storeage 6gig per min of DV.I use Video Delux 2,for editing & burning,
    its very powerfull cost $99(new version Video Edit Pro 2004).From my experiance you must use an extrunal hard drive,a 5400rpm 2.5" drive in a bus powered firewire case will work fine.My Medion's 6 pin firewire is powered and powers a 2.5" harddrive just fine,so if the 505's witch looks the is the same basic config that should work fine,remember never cap. video to the same drive as your software and system are on.By the I have done some editing
    on my 6805 works fine but my Medion has a DVD Burner.

I've wondered about Medion. I haven't heard much about them. I was also looking at the eMachines 6807 because of the dvd burner. With rare exceptions, I try to keep my stuff in digital format. Analog capture is minimal or non existent. I have a 120 gig 7200 RPM drive that I plan to use for storage and capture once I get the firewire enclosure. That's part of the reason I've been looking at the Gateway 505. The 6 pin would be very nice for that. If that's the case then the 505x's and its 4200 rpm drive wouldn't be a problem save for the lack of a DVD burner.

Pretty much any of the laptops I mentioned are more powerfull than my current desktop (Athlon XP 1700+, 512 PC 2100). The problems arise from the separate firewire card required because my Soyo mobo doesn't have built in 1394. These cards are notoriously picky about which PCI slot they're in. Even in the closest slot, and I've tried them all, I have lock ups, dropped frames, or just a plain refusal to capture. That's partly why I'm looking at integrated solutions ie, laptop or other otherwise. I am curious about your results, reliability, stability using something that is more integrated and more portable. Thanks for the input.

Huntington Beach, CA...AKA Surf City, USA
    Medion's a pretty big European vendor. I know Aldi Food's sells some of their PCs every so often (I know, don't ask what a grocery type stores is doing selling PC's) and they are likewise carried at Best Buy. Do a search on Medion at Anandtech's forums. People seem to really like them.

You can get a 10% discount at Gateway if you are a AAA member or willing to become one. That would bring the price of the M505XL down to $1619. Also, the M505XL was marked down to $1699 during the past month. If you catch such a sale and also apply the AAA discount, the price would be $1529.

why not a refurbed dell? ther emuch cheaper and a bit more powerful for the money you spend.

Quote Originally Posted by DELL-Machina
    why not a refurbed dell? ther emuch cheaper and a bit more powerful for the money you spend.
    Your chances of getting a brand new Dell laptop where everything works are bad enough. The refurbed Dells are ones that people have returned. Your chances of getting a good one of those are even worse.

I have to defend the Dell on this one. Refurbished means remanufactured. Except for surface dents, most other problems on returned systems should be fixed to original factory standards. But I can't say much for Dell's original factory standards, however...
    Each empty snakelike body floats,
    Silent sorrow in empty boats.
    A sickly sourness fills the room,
    The bitter harvest of a dying bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawalkerl
    I have to defend the Dell on this one. Refurbished means remanufactured. Except for surface dents, most other problems on returned systems should be fixed to original factory standards. But I can't say much for Dell's original factory standards, however...
    I doubt that they would replace a display panel with defective pixels, unless there were more than five of them. Nor do I think they would resolve an overheating problem, since it would probably not show up during brief tests.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast