Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slower Laptop Game Suggestions?

Slower Laptop Game Suggestions?

I recently purchased a used Thinkpad T21 (850MHz Pentium III, 128MB RAM, 8MB Video RAM) for work. I looking for a few games to distract me. In the past, I've enjoyed Civilization (2 & 3), XCOM UFO, the Bauldur's Gate Series, Fallout, Myst and CrystalQuest (an old Mac game from the 80s). With those in mind, can anyone offer suggestions for games that won't stutter with my limited specs? Thanks!

Eric

ahhh civilation.... such a great game....specificallt I and III.

hmm..... what about Age of empires or Age of kings?
    do you like simcity? Simcity 200 and 300 should run fine on that machine.... I enjoyed 200 much more, and you can find it fo "free" on the web.
    Desktop: Shuttle XPC SN41G2 Custom

Lappy: Gateway m505X Centrino 1.4 (4-5 hours, baby!)

Mac: Mac Mini - 1.42 | Superdrive

iPod: 20 gig 3G and 512 Shuffle

diablo 2
    - Thinking inside the box is cool!

my 5670: P4 2.66/RADEON9000 128MB/1 GIG O' RAM/40GIG HD 5400RPM
    my DESKTOP: AMD Athlon 64 3000+/Nforce 3 250 mobo/RADEON9800 128MB/512 MB O' RAM/40GIG HD 7200RPM
    Currently Playing: Star Ocean 3, CS:S, Stepmania

try the original Commando

I found this one fun. it is basically like a puzzle game. you have to figure a way to use your commando team to achieve the mission objective, such as blowing up a bridge. this involves sneaking around and killing enemy units discretely, etc. there are usually only one or two ways to do this, and you need to have good timing to get past guards undetected etc. Theif is also very fun. similar sneak around and accomplish objectives type game. Thief is a first person perspective. Commando is mostly third person.

also, while we are on the subject, my friend has kind of a limited spec machine with I think only a 16 meg video card and a sub 2 gigahertz processor, maybe half a gig of RAM. I am looking for a cool game we can play head to head linking our laptops together, but that is also fun single player. My Sager NP-5660-C can handle any game his comp. can play. going on a cruise with my wife and my friend and his wife, so we will have some dead time on the boat for gaming. We have played most of the RTS games already, so I am looking for something different. I don't enjoy standard run around and shoot em FPS games like Quake or Duke Nukem. I enjoyed Half Life, but actually find the Counterstrike head to head play pretty boring (run around, blam, run around, blam). I realize this is a tall order, but maybe something along the lines of Commando or Thief would be fun? Do people know of any very cool similar games?
    the sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up . . .
    Sager 3790, 15.4'' WSXGA (1680x1050), 1.7 GHZ Pentium M, 128 MB ATI 9700, Hitachi HTS726060M9AT00 60GB HD 7200 RPM, 1536 MB PC2700 RAM, Internal Toshiba SD-R6472 8X DVD+-R/RW DL/CD-RW Combo, internal Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, 12-cell lithium

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I recently purchased a used Thinkpad T21 (850MHz Pentium III, 128MB RAM, 8MB Video RAM) for work. I looking for a few games to distract me. In the past, I've enjoyed Civilization (2 & 3), XCOM UFO, the Bauldur's Gate Series, Fallout, Myst and CrystalQuest (an old Mac game from the 80s). With those in mind, can anyone offer suggestions for games that won't stutter with my limited specs? Thanks!
    Age of Wonders:Shadow Magic should work fine. I've ran it on desktops with similar specs without problems. It's turn based so your machine should be able to handle it.
    Proud owner of Sager 5680-S P4 3.0 HT ~ 1gig ram ~ 60 gig 7200rpm ~ Ati 9600 128mb

Well, despite the legality issues, you could always look into ROMs, for instance the NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy etc...

Any game you find from these consoles would run great on a decent computer.
    *The_Juggernaut* Custom Desktop Rig: Antec Performance TX640B | AMD64 3700+ Proc | Asus A8N5X nForce4 socket 939 MoBo | EVGA nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 | Benq 16x DVD+R Burner w/ lightscribe & Lite-ON 16x DVD-ROM | Corsair XMS 2GB DDR Memory @ 400MHz | SB Audigy Platinum EX | Maxtor 200GB HD + WD 80GB HD | Win XP MCE 2005

Quote Originally Posted by robcoo1025
    diablo 2
    I still play Diablo 2 on battle.net, this game still rocks :dude: :headbang:
    3.0Ghz P4 CPU
    1GB DDR RAM
    Ati 9600 Pro 128MB
    60GB 7200RPM HD
    16" UXGA LCD

Thanks for the suggestions! These will keep me distracted when I need it. If anyone has any other favorites, fire away...

try diablo, 1 and 2, and total annihilation - download some units off of its website... also, the original command and conquer red alert - that game still kix some dudes asses. let me see. warcraft 2, and then you got the expansions, man there are so many. just look and you will find!

deathinacan

StarCraft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast