Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New game: Penumbra

That One Asian Kid amazin asian's Avatar

New game: Penumbra

Might wanna check it out

It looks pretty sick

Kinda like FEAR graphics with Doom 3 shadows, and a little Source engine HDR effects
    :dance2:

I'm trying to get one of my friends to download and burn me a CD of it
    [dial up sucks :censored: ]

And oh yeah! It's 100% free.
    Dell i6000 PM 2.13GHz|1GB DDR2|x300 128MB|XP Pro|80GB 5.4k|DVD+/-RW|15.4 WUXGA|2200b/g Wireless|Bluetooth|Logitech G5 :thumbup:
    Sony Vaio PCV-RX462DS P4 1.3GHz|384MB RDRAM|GeForce2 MX 32mb|XP Pro|40 GB 5.4k|DVD|CD-RW|16" Viewable Trinitron CTR :blushing:
    Myspace|ATI Overclocking Guide

This may burn a little... karizma's Avatar
    FREE YOU SAY?

Once i'm done with Prey, i'll have to check it out :thumbup:
    [/URL]

I want Prey, but hey! This is free.
    I'm heading over to a friends house to download it to a USB key.
    I will give a full report on the game tomorrow, but I got a pretty good taste of what this will look like already.
    Anime style storyline, if any story line. Doom 3 creatures. FEAR style graphics. Half-Life 2 scenery.
    Gameplay though will be unknown until I play it.
    It should also be interesting to see the toll it takes on my computer. Half-Life 2 runs ok, but FEAR isn't the best. Doom 3 runs ok too, but still.
    Dell i6000 PM 2.13GHz|1GB DDR2|x300 128MB|XP Pro|80GB 5.4k|DVD+/-RW|15.4 WUXGA|2200b/g Wireless|Bluetooth|Logitech G5 :thumbup:
    Sony Vaio PCV-RX462DS P4 1.3GHz|384MB RDRAM|GeForce2 MX 32mb|XP Pro|40 GB 5.4k|DVD|CD-RW|16" Viewable Trinitron CTR :blushing:

By anime storyline do you mean Kawaii girls totally massacring things in mass quantity?

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it
    [/URL]

Well, I have it now, and I'm kinda of disapointed.

Gameplay wise, it is slow, and you have no weapons. You are constantly looking for something, and its hard to figure out where you are supposed to go. Just about everything is interactive, except you have to actualy pull open things rather than just press the E or F key. Really, I am not having fun playing it, because it is not a first person shooter style game. It is a slow puzzle hungry horror game, that really doesn't satisfy someone who plays nothing but FPS.

However, the game engine is amazing! Remember what I said about everything being interactive? You can seriously move just about everything, and all sorts of stuff will make sounds. It is based off of OpenGL, and acts similarly to the Doom 3 engine. The shadows are done in real time, yet they look like they are dynamic soft shadows. HDR effects are present, with bloom showing in the first pic, as well as dynamic tone mapping. 2D surfaces also look much like those in FEAR, being that they aren't bumpmaped, but instead use some new technology supperior to bumpmaping.

But aside from the engine, it really isn't that amazing. It is also very, very slow. I was expecting the gore of FEAR in a Doom 3 like enviornment, but since there are no guns, you can't have a lot of gore. It's also really confussing. In fact, I'm stuck in the game and can't figure out what to do next.

Ah, cheap RE copy FTL.

Quote Originally Posted by amazin asian
    Well, I have it now, and I'm kinda of disapointed.

Gameplay wise, it is slow, and you have no weapons. You are constantly looking for something, and its hard to figure out where you are supposed to go. Just about everything is interactive, except you have to actualy pull open things rather than just press the E or F key. Really, I am not having fun playing it, because it is not a first person shooter style game. It is a slow puzzle hungry horror game, that really doesn't satisfy someone who plays nothing but FPS.

However, the game engine is amazing! Remember what I said about everything being interactive? You can seriously move just about everything, and all sorts of stuff will make sounds. It is based off of OpenGL, and acts similarly to the Doom 3 engine. The shadows are done in real time, yet they look like they are dynamic soft shadows. HDR effects are present, with bloom showing in the first pic, as well as dynamic tone mapping. 2D surfaces also look much like those in FEAR, being that they aren't bumpmaped, but instead use some new technology supperior to bumpmaping.

But aside from the engine, it really isn't that amazing. It is also very, very slow. I was expecting the gore of FEAR in a Doom 3 like enviornment, but since there are no guns, you can't have a lot of gore. It's also really confussing. In fact, I'm stuck in the game and can't figure out what to do next.

Sounds like fun!!! I beat prey last night and i'm gonna go DL this now. I LOVE puzzle games to no end (I even still play tetris :X) Prey is a puzzle game too, but its also got some good FPS (bang bang booooom) stuff too!

/dl'n now!
    [/URL]

Well I hope you have fun with it! It is a beautiful game.

DraqHelmet, what do you mean?

Played a bit through it. Its just like myst but free

mmm....teh puzzlez! (but they're kinda easy and obvious)
    [/URL]

Well I'm glad you liked it karizma!
    Have fun playing. Also, try turning on the motion blur feature. It is pretty interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast