Thread: New Video Card

New Video Card

quick question for you technical people just put in a new video card a ASUS 6800n (NVIDIA 6800) upgraded from a FX5200XT AGP and when I log into BF2 all I see is a big black area with some trees and flags. Updated all my drivers and made sure directx was good but still the same problem any suggestions would help.

New card is AGP or PCI-X? If it's PCI-X make sure you plugged in the PCI-X power connector from the PSU into the card. I know it sounds like common sense but a lot of people miss that when switching from AGP to PCI-X and some cards require more power than the motherboard can put out to them so they have to get it direct from the CPU through a seperate connector.

My roommate bought a new comp and I'm borrowing his old 6800 AGP. Before that I had a 9800 Pro. My CPU is OC'd and the card didn't get along well with it until I lowered the overclock a bit. I had lots of artifacts, random colors, and stretching all over the BF2 video playing in the background of the menus until I lowered my CPU settings. Shouldn't be an issue if you don't have anything overclocked though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ojenroc <BOT>
    quick question for you technical people just put in a new video card a ASUS 6800n (NVIDIA 6800) upgraded from a FX5200XT AGP and when I log into BF2 all I see is a big black area with some trees and flags. Updated all my drivers and made sure directx was good but still the same problem any suggestions would help.
    Unlikely, but very possible your motherboard does not support AGP in the GF 6 and above series. Sorry to hear about your problems, but you should do a google search on whatever motherboard you have + GeForce 6800. Or, if it's a retail system, do the same thing but with the computer model (Optiplex 3900 + GeForce 6800 for example). if all else fails, emails or call whomever you bought the system from, and ask. they usually already have experience with whatever issue you have.

finally, you could try to wipe your system and start over with a fresh operating system

good luck!