Thread: non-english speaking commander

non-english speaking commander

I played tonight 09/06/06 on the 24/7 city server and for a few games had a commander who did not speak English. I was told by an admin, BuddhistSoldier, that you do not have policy against Russian players. Frankly I don't even know if it was Russian. It did not really matter. I don't have a problem with players speaking different languages.

I do however have problem with a non-english speaking commander. Is this truly your policy?? I have played on Straferight servers quite a lot and have never run into this before. I will have to rethink my server choices if this is correct. I thought this was a US based server. Am I wrong??

Scott1965

BF2 scott65

No we don't have a policy against anyone who is foreign in the commander position. As long as it is just one round I don't see the problem IF they are using the binds correctly.

You can do a lot of commanding with speech binds which are universal.

We tend to frown upon anyone commanding multiple times and would use the same rule of thumb here.

Frankly, if you're going to 'rethink' where you play over something like this, you probably don't belong on our server anyway. We like to think of ourselves as welcoming to anyone who plays to win and have fun. Your line of reasoning is not at all in line with our vibe.
    Last edited by wootini; 09-07-2006 at 01:21 AM.

Hi that was exactly the problem I had. There were no bind commands from the commander. He was only commanding ( I assume it was commands) in a language I do not speak. At least for part of one round he was in a helicopter with me at Mashtuur and then proceeded to fight for a time. He did not drop supplies or vehicles for me or any of my squadmates (we switched out as squad leader to see if he would drop to someone different) We received absolutely no direction from the commander and it was frustrating. We are a 3 sometimes 4 man squad on a private teamspeak and normally can be pretty effective. It was just frustrating to constantly hear what I suppose were orders and not be able to understand them.

As you could probaly tell I was a little upset when I posted last night. In hindsight I should not have put in the "rethink my servers" remark and I would still like to play on Straferight servers. Iin fact I was looking at joining along with my squadmates just yesterday. Straferight servers have always been the best we have played on and I realize I should not let one bad experience ruin all the good times I have had here.

Thanks,
    Scott1965

United States [US]
    joe
    It sounds more like you just encountered a bad commander, rather then it being purely a language problem. We do have policies against commanders using vehicles, or being actively engaged in combat, and it seems that he was clearly not doing everything he could as a commander to help his team win.

As far as the language issue goes, yes, we are a U.S. based server (Dallas to be specific), but we pride ourselves on having the best hardware and connection amongst all of the top BF2 servers. Right now there are currently players from the United Kingdom, Germany, Poland, France, Sweden, Jamica, Brazil, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan, all playing alongside a ton of U.S. based players on our servers. We can't fault anyone for not having the best (or any) English, one of the coolest things about online gaming is that it you have so many different people from different backgrounds and areas coming together to play (and wouldn't it be one of the coolest things ever to hear a commander yell "Banzai!!!" during the opening seconds of Karkand?).
    Last edited by joe; 09-07-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Scott,
    I appreciate your remarks. And in the future we'll be sure to take extra care in how we approach non-english speaking commanders. Especially those that are ineffective.

I mean to say this last night...Welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forums scott1965:banawave:
    I understand about a bad commender. That universal frustrating.
    However, been sure not to jump to racial or ethic factors.
    We do take a strong stands against Racial/ Ethic comments . :bann:
    Last edited by NeverKnow; 09-07-2006 at 08:35 PM.

In Soviet Russia, supply crate requests YOU!