Thread: Problem with CS / Steam

Problem with CS / Steam

everytime i try to open steam or CS i get an error saying: Steam.exe (main exception): The registry is in use by another process, timeout expired. I tryed going to CS tech support but that didnt help and i dont know what to do.

Afghanistan [AF]
    Bob
    This may sound stupid but try restarting your computer. If you have a dual core processor make sure you have steam running on one core instead of both since on some computers it can mess with things. And if all else fails you could try re-installing.

Hiro
    if it's updating and doing that there is a way to get around it. I had to do it on my machine and it works fine now.

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE HAVING THE 26% UPDATE ISSUE!!!!

What I did:
    -Opened the Task Manager and sorted by name.
    -Go to the "S" entries and then start steam.
    -When SteamTmp.exe (or something similar) started, I ended Steam.exe's proccess and it successfully updated.

Of course, it would help if you had a little more detail in your problem report there.

I've tryed restarting my comp many times and ive also tryed end the steam.exe process in my task manager and niether of them work and the error message pops up when i try to open steam or CS, dont know what else to tell about the problem besides that it started happening after a steam update.

Here comes the BOOM! Switchblade's Avatar
    I run on a dual core laptop (Intel Centrio Duo) Only problems I have since reinstalling everything, windows too, is my trashcan model is corrupted so I have destroyed objects turned off, which i think helps. I don't think dual core hurts Source gaming...
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Gimme ur moneyz...NOW!!! NoobToast's Avatar
    I hate steam, probably the worst updating/content managing program thing ever...i have this problem all the time
    Last edited by NoobToast; 02-25-2007 at 10:01 PM.
    TF2 Addict

Here comes the BOOM! Switchblade's Avatar
    Umm, I would say uninstall Steam, download Steam from:

Steam - Get Steam Now
    [Hit the link on the right, should be Yellow]

And install that.

Hopefully with a new fresh copy of Steam, things will work better.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobToast View Post
    I hate steam, probably the worst updating/content managing program thing ever...i have this problem all the time
    Lol I've never had a problem with it at all. None of the Installed games error, no Steam ID Ticket problems.... nothing. I think its one of the greatest programs when it works for everyone
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Gimme ur moneyz...NOW!!! NoobToast's Avatar
    lol i like it when it works, but the few times it dosent work...seems not worth it...
    TF2 Addict