Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc Crashed

Pc Crashed

I was playing on the Straferight server the other night when all the sudden my pc went into a total freeze. The sound was that constant annoying tone that wouldn't go away for anything. My video frame froze right where it was at i was in the middle of throwing a grenade at someone. Low and behold i think i fried the video chip on the motherboard cause it starts up but i dont get any video at all not through pci express, on board or pci. I can hear the sound through the speakers and the hard drives spinning up its just a tease. I was looking forward to playing last night and reeking some havoc. Now i hear the nvidia server is down i wonder if it was just a coincidence between the two.

Blog Entries
    You may be looking for more help than simply an admin question, so I'm moving this to BF2 tech support, where our admins also browse. I don't have the information about when the server went down, but our new CS servers and the nVidia servers all sort of took a sh!t at the same time, I just don't know the time stamp.

Moved so you can get more help.

if you are starting up and you have no video, it is likely that your onboard video is dead, however, check and make sure that your RAM is pushed in tight. If so, I would look for a video card, or even a new MOBO. Also, check the cable between you computer and you monitor. Since your game froze though, I would think something went wrong with your system. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with NVIDIA site going down.
    Last edited by AUSTIN; 03-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    definitely reset all your cards first, before buying anything.

if you have onboard and dedicated video, make sure your bios settings are correct when testing each solution.

if neither of those work, your mobo video-out is probably dead - not that uncommon. usually you can see the onboard chip has been slightly fried (most often in the corner of the chip) if that's true.

I like to keep an old video card around for testing purposes for just those situations.

omg austin has the best avatar

Thanks for the thoughts

I have tried some things already i have another monitor tried that to single out the monitor plus i just had my monitor replaced cause it just died a couple of weeks ago. But i was using a pci express slot then tried the onboard and as well as using a pci card. I just wrote ecs to see if they would replace the mobo under warranty but i bought it from ebay so i dont know if they will honor that. Thanks again for helping me out i was just wondering about the nvidia server more than anything. I am a network admin for a company in nj so i know about computers. I have plenty of computer knowledge but it is good to hear some other suggestions in situations like this thanks again everyone.

Afghanistan [AF]
    Bob
    So your using a PCI express slot or onboard?

I was originally using a 7600gt oc pci express when this whole thing happened I pulled out the 7600 and used the onboard got it to power up once then restarted to put the 7600 back in and then it wouldnt power up with anything at that point.

Afghanistan [AF]
    Bob
    PCI slot or card is fried. Try swapping it out with another card if you have one other then that i'm not sure.

Alright I'm tired of waiting for ECS to get back to me by the way the tech support over there sucks horribly dont ever buy an ecs board cause if something does go wrong good luck getting in touch with them. They dont even have a telephone number you can reach them at. The next thing I'm looking to do is to change out the motherboard i planned on upgrading in the 3rd quarter of this year to take advantage of intels new pricing so im looking for a motherboard.....one that supports the following any recommendations p4 3.0 socket 775 looking to upgrade to a core 2 duo so it will need to support both i believe they are both socket 775 anyway,ddr2 pc4200, pci express supported in sli mode. i was thinking about this for a while what else do you think about running dual 7600 gt oc cards that should be enough to play bf2 nicely right. If you can recommend any good gaming mobo it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Let me know if i should start a new post instead of continuing it here.
    Last edited by kline2g1; 03-26-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast