Thread: CS:S loads, but just goes black

CS:S loads, but just goes black

My friend got a new laptop(not sure what model), and when he goes to play couter-strike source everything goes well until the game opens. Sometimes he can see the couter-strike screen for a split second, sometimes he cant.

Either way the screen then just turns black and he has to close the game.

Does anybody know what the problem is or how to fix it? My first thoughts were that his laptop is running a dual core processor because ive heard of those causing some problems with programs.

Thanks for the help

Deathscythe

problem

i am not sure what the problem is but from sounds of it i would think it has something to do with the drivers for his video /gfx

Here comes the BOOM! Switchblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    My friend got a new laptop(not sure what model), and when he goes to play couter-strike source everything goes well until the game opens. Sometimes he can see the couter-strike screen for a split second, sometimes he cant.

Either way the screen then just turns black and he has to close the game.

Does anybody know what the problem is or how to fix it? My first thoughts were that his laptop is running a dual core processor because ive heard of those causing some problems with programs.

Thanks for the help
    Open Task Manager, and wait for hl2.exe to appear, and right when it shows up, right click it -> set affinity -> make it so that only one is checked (uncheck CPU 0 OR CPU 1, but not both).

If that does not work, download the ATI Catalyst Mobility Pack. (IF its an ATI card. Otherwise ignore what I say about video drivers)

My C&C3 Demo and CS 1.6 that I played at school would not work on my laptop using the Omega ATI Drivers. I installed this new Catalyst 6.9 Mobility Unified Driver set and both games worked perfect. Also, my CS:S seems to be running better with far less crashes using this new and updated driver set.

Here's a link. (For ATI Cards ONLY)

Download ATI Catalyst Mobility Pack 6.9 Driver for Win 2K/XP - Softpedia

Also, what video card and CPU does the system have? Some ATI mobility cards are "unsupported" by ATI, and have a few issues with games until they make drivers to cover the problems.

Oh yeah. Make sure the game resolution is the same as the desktop if the problems persist after you try the above options. Go to the desktop shortcut for CS:S, and right click -> properties, and there should be a line that says -applaunch 240 at the end. add "-height xxxx -width xxx" and change the "x"s to be the appropriate width and height. Example: My desktop resolution is 1280x800. I would use "-width 1280 -height 800" after the -applaunch 240 part.
    Last edited by Switchblade; 04-24-2007 at 11:30 PM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

I had the same kinda problem... WHat I did was; when steam opened it set the process to low, then I would open CS, wait for the menu, and then task switch to the task manager, and set the HL2 process to normal
    My Flickr Photostream
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfluff View Post
    I had my first experience at the original Super Duper Weenie today. It was pretty awesome.

do you have a firewall installed that might be halting CSS while waiting for permission to access the 'net?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    damn, that's big!

Fragged
    Yeah just download the latest drivers for your video card!

There is a duel core dl for this problem its an update,go its an optimizer.I put a rainbow six on my system same crap dl opti all good in da hood.try it out.