Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Configs for Higher FPS

Graphics Configs for Higher FPS

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or info for me on this front. A fellow player pointed me toward a link on the CAL forums for configs that improve FPS for losers like me with ridiculously crappy computers. I generally run around 35 fps, but it drops into the teens if I rush into a crowded room. So I created the .cfg file and dropped it into my valve directory and stuff, and now I'm running at 90-120 fps, which is just silly. Of course I can't see dead bodies and it stripped out some other graphical perks, but whatever, it saved me from some slow-down.

So my questions are:

1.) is this legit? I don't want to do it if people consider it cheating or anything...I don't see why it would be, it's just altering graphics settings, but I wanted to make 100% sure, so I don't lose the privilege of getting pwned by you folks.

2.) have any of you done this? do you have any suggestions as far as things i can turn back ON to improve gameplay without killing my FPS (essentially the .cfg file is just a batch script that binds values to all of the gfx variables)?

3.) anyone wanna call my boss/CEO, and convince him to throw a lowly engineer like myself a bone, so I can buy a new system?

If no one has any idea what the hell I'm talking about then let me know and I'll post the link in here; I'm at work right now, so I don't have the link on this box. Thanks for any/all help, as always.

Meow! Actually we've got a few resident kings of source code, but they'll probably tell you the same thing I'm going to. No altering your config file to turn off or reduce graphics for better performance is not illegal. There are lots of things you can do to make it illegal but more than likely you haven't unknowingly done those things. Post your cfg or autexec, w.e. you're using and we'll be happy to openly mock it.

j/k but not really.
    There's a douchebag hiding in the rocks with a radioactive twinkie!

Well here is my config, you guys can look it over if you'd like. I'll also include the link to the forum page, though you need CAL logins (there are separate logins for their page and forums and both are necessary..so stupid). Any suggestions are welcome; I don't anticipate there being anything against the rules in here, but I've learned not to trust anything I find on these internets. Mock away; my 2Ghz Centrino/64MB ATI9600 can take it.

Cyberathlete Amateur League Forums

So I should probably include the config file...dammit. It wouldn't upload a .cfg file, so I renamed it to autoexec.cfg.txt.

Well first of all, you arent playing CAL (are you?) so having a 100 cmdrate and 100 updaterate isnt completely necessary.

If you have a good internet connection those rates probably will get you good registry on sR's office pub, but higher rates can be harder on a cpu, especially one like.... well yeah. Mines not great either, I have a single core athlon.

But you could put the cmdrate at like 60 and the updaterate at 40, experiment with what works best for you.

lol @ 1337 fps max.

Also, you could throw in a mat_dxlevel 81 to bump source down to directX 8. Also, youd have to ask the sR admins what their preference is about going lower than dx8, I know its not cal legal, but then again 80 percent of cal admins are jackasses.
    -dxlevel 90 for DirectX 9
    -dxlevel 81 for DirectX 8.1
    -dxlevel 80 for DirectX 8
    -dxlevel 70 for DirectX 7

But if youre already more than satisfied performance wise and youre wondering what settings you can turn up I cant help you much.
    Last edited by Fish111; 01-28-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Oh, out of curiosity, what kind of engineer are you that u cant get a new pc?

I run a top end gFX card but a low end system. not one graphics setting changes my FPS, from 1920 resolution down to 640. So make sure it isn't your CPU or motherboard that's slowing stuff down. Source is very hard on non-graphics components

I'm certainly not playing CAL, so yeah, I need to change those rates. I usually set them through console to somewhere around 60 and 40, I'll get on that tonight. And I'll give the directx 8 thing a shot. I'm just trying to optimize performance so that I can shoot people and stuff, I don't really care how pretty it is. As fun as ragdoll physics and seeing dead bodies in funny positions are, I can live without them if I can avoid 10fps. Though the slow motion effect that I would get charging into paper room was kind of trippy sometimes. I'm a software engineer II for some random software company...which makes it even more pathetic that I have such a miserable computer. I'm going to build a new one this summer, after I move into my new apartment...then the corpses will fly @ 200fps

My CPU and all of that run everything surprisingly well; that said, the in-game graphics settings didn't do much at all to change my fps, but this .cfg file almost tripled my average fps...I was surprised, to say the least. The only CPU/MoBo problem that I have is that occasionally my CPU fan shuts itself off and my laptop gets toasty and shuts off...but that's a post for another forum :P

It was probably default to vertical sync, which aligns your FPS with your refresh rate. keeps frames from tearing.

my FPS will go from 150 to 10 in really intense battles. My issue is with processor and motherboard. If you're getting over 100 and dipping way down, sounds like the same problem.

far as I know, most everyone gets that problem. The only way around it is to have something really fast like a 3.0 GHz Core 2

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-28-2008, 10:19 AM