Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine and COD4

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar

Marine and COD4

Saw this yesterday, but thought it was interesting:

FOXNews.com - Missing Ex-Marine's Family Says Video Game May Have Sparked Disappearance - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Relatives of a missing ex-Marine wounded in Iraq fear a video game that simulates combat may have triggered war memories that led to his disappearance, Florida's Herald Tribune reported.

After playing "Call of Duty," Eric Hall "just got up and said he had to go," Courtney Birge, a family friend, told the newspaper...
    After playing this game several times I can see the level of realism was just too much for him and probably triggered traumatic memories that lead him to leave unexpectedly, hope he's alright.

This will do it:

In June 2005, Hall was injured when a bomb exploded while he was on patrol. He was treated for injuries to his right arm, left leg and hip and the left side of his abdomen. He spent 13 weeks in the hospital and later was granted medical retirement by the Marines.

During the same incident, Hall witnessed his best friend being decapitated, the newspaper reported.
    Last edited by wootini; 02-11-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Afghanistan [AF]
    Bob
    As much as I hate how people blame the world's problems on video games I suppose I could see how something like that could trigger something. Hopefully he turns out ok.

ya i heard about that today too...spooky how they found his motorcycle running just a few miles away.

Platanos con salami... DominiKing's Avatar
    Holy sh!t, that reminds me when my cousin came back from the gulf war when I was a kid. I didn't know him very well since I was in Dominican Republic most of my early childhood but after he came back he wasn't the same person anymore. We'd go visit him and he'd get up and look outside, check around his house, go outside and come back in, pace everywhere. Those are just the small things, not to get too off-topic.

This story reminds me a lot of him but I feel for this guy. I know it sucks like Bob said, that they're blaming it on the game but it's just crazy. Things happen and he probably wasn't ready to see something like that, even if it is a video game. A highly realistic and visual video game like CoD4 can very well trigger something like this. I honestly hope he turns up fine and nothings happened to the guy.
    "Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum!" [SIZE=1]-Admiral Firmus Piett

I am glad that there not a game that has preist molesting people because then some people would have some terrible flash backs.

Pastor richards why?

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    awful story, watching your buddy die, especially like that, can fuck you up for life. This has less to do with video games and more to do with PTSD, and I would guess that, as always, the military didn't give him enough psych help.

I know because I've seen it happen to friends of mine, those fuckers at the VA are just marking time.

I've had multiple friends go to Iraq and come back with PTSD. They have waken up many times with night terrors. They're still avid gamers (playing mostly ghost recon) and haven't had any issues like this. So I don't see how they could really pin this on COD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by panic! View Post
    I've had multiple friends go to Iraq and come back with PTSD. They have waken up many times with night terrors. They're still avid gamers (playing mostly ghost recon) and haven't had any issues like this. So I don't see how they could really pin this on COD.
    everyone reacts differently to combat, some really can't handle it. Others can keep it silenced.

Z
    Quote Originally Posted by panic! View Post
    It's not an unreasonable assumption, especially considering CoD4 setting...

People have been triggered from far less than a game that practically recreates the situation you were in. One of my high school teachers recounted how he saw WW2 vets hit the deck in public because someone just whistled when the class got into a discussion on PTSD.

It just sounded too much like incoming artillery fire apparently.

uzumaki...
    ...spiraling into madness

War sucks killem all let God sort them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM