Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Fortress 2 101 : Getting Started Guide (TF2)

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin yankeeDEUCE's Avatar

Team Fortress 2 101 : Getting Started Guide (TF2)

Team Fortress 2 101 .:. Getting Started

Welcome to the first edition of the Team Fortress 2 101 series, Getting Started. Here I'll show you how to set up TF2 and go over some tips for beginners. Later editions will go more in depth on different aspects of the game, such as config files, maps and gametypes, and the different classes in the game. If you would like me to go over anything just let me know, either by posting a comment here, in the #strafeRight IRC channel, or emailing me at yankeedeuce [at] straferight.com.

TF2 History

The first Team Fortress game was made in 1996 as a mod for Quake. The game was a hit, and in 1998 the developers announced Team Fortress 2, which would be a stand alone game on Valve's GoldSrc Engine. Valve first contracted, then employed, two of the original developers - Robin Walker and John Cook. In 1999 Team Fortress Classic was released, a port of the original to the GoldSrc Engine. Work was still being done on TF2 at the time, which at first had a modern, realistic, military game, with innovations including command hierarchy, a commanders birds eye view, parachute drops, and VoIP. In 2000, TF2 was delayed again when Valve announced they would be switching to their new game engine, now known as Source.

Nothing was really heard about TF2 after that until 2006, when it was revealed TF2 would be shipped with HL2:E2. This was the first time the new cartoon style graphics were shown, with Robin Walker saying later that they had actually developed 3-4 games before they decided on the final design of the game. In October of 2007 TF2 was finally released as part of The Orange Box, included with HL2 and HL2:Episodes 1 and 2, and Portal.

The Basics

TF2 is a class-based game, with 9 different classes split roughly into 3 roles, Offense, Defense, and Support. The Offensive classes are the Scout, the Soldier, and the Pyro. Defensive classes include the Demoman, the Heavy Weapons Guy, and the Engineer. The Support classes are the Medic, the Sniper, and the Spy. Just because a class is a certain role doesn't mean a Defensive class won't be good on offense or vice versa, you will often see Demos and Heavies on the offensive, along with Pyros defending points. Valve is in the process of adding unlockable weapons and achievements for all the characters. So far the Medic is the only class done, with 39 Achievements and new weapons after 12, 25, and 39 Achievements are unlocked. Valve has announced the Pyro will be the next class to get achievements and unlocks. Each class has their different strengths and weaknesses, as do the unlockable weapons.

The Scout .:. The Soldier .:. The Pyro

The Demoman .:. The Heavy Weapons Guy .:. The Engineer

The Medic .:. The Sniper .:. The Spy

There are currently two different teams, Reliable Excavation and Demolition (RED), and Builders League United (BLU). The two companies fight on 9 different official maps with several different game types. The game types are CTF, CP, TC, and PL.

CTF (Capture the Flag) maps have the teams on either end of the map, with each team trying to capture the others intelligence briefcase that is located in their base. Each time the Intelligence is captured the capping team gets a point, by default the first team to 3 caps wins the round. (ctf_2fort, ctf_well)

On CP (Control Point) maps the objective is to capture control points, with a few variations available. Some maps have RED owning all the points while BLU must try to take them, capping A and B before being able to cap C (cp_gravelpit). Others have 5 control points, BLU owning 2, RED owning 2, and the middle point free (cp_granary, cp_well, cp_badlands). The teams fight for control of the next point they don't own, while defending the points they do. The last CP type has different stages of the map, with BLU needing to take two ponts in order before being able to move through to the second and third stages (cp_dustbowl).

TC (Territory Control) maps have a single control point per area that either team can capture. Teams must take all the territory areas before being able to attack the enemy's main base. (tc_hydro)

PL (Payload) maps are the newest gametype available. BLU must push a cart on tracks through the map to control points while RED defends. The cart is moved by BLU players standing near it, RED can stop it by standing near it, and if no BLU player has touched the cart in 20 seconds it starts rolling backwards. The cart also acts as a dispenser, healing and refilling ammo for the BLU team. (pl_goldrush)

cp_badlands .:. cp_dustbowl .:. cp_granary

cp_gravelpit .:. cp_well .:. ctf_2fort

ctf_well .:. pl_goldrush .:. tc_hydro

Getting Started

TF2 is on the updated Source Engine, known as the Orange Box. Instead of setting your name in the options or a config file, it is tied to your Steam Community name. Ingame it will show your Steam Community name and avatar, and your Community profile page will have your TF2 stats and achievements displayed.

How to change your Steam Community name .:. TF2 Stats on your Steam Community page

Once you get ingame go to the Options menu and select the Multiplayer tab. I always enable the Minimal HUD, which makes it easier to see the action going on around you by making the HUD smaller.Along with the Minimal HUD, I also change the Field of View. This allows you to see more of the action going on around you. To change this select the Advanced menu from the Video tab, and you can change the FoV between 75 (default) and 90. I always set this to 90 to get a better view of the battlefield. With FoV at 90 and the minimal HUD, you are able to see much more, making it easier to spot enemies to frag.

Field of View 75 & Regular HUD .:. Field of View 75 and Minimal HUD

Field of View 90 & Regular HUD .:. Field of View 90 and Minimal HUD

In the Multiplayer Advanced menu I turn off Suicide after selecting a class, this will only change your class when you respawn. Instead of killing yourself and switching immediately, why not just rush in and try to take out an enemy or two before you switch? You could help out your team and you will spawn a little faster by not commiting suicide. Other options are having the Medics Medigun continueously heal instead of having to hold down your fire button, and having the Sniper rifle automatically re-zoom after firing. Personally I like having to hold the fire button to heal when a Medic, I think it is a little easier to switch between different players to heal them with that off. I do set the Sniper rifle to automatically re-zoom after a shot, as most of the time it isn't a problem, and lets you recharge your shot for that next crit headshot.

The last part of Getting Started are just some general in-game tips that are good to know before you hop in for your first game of TF2. No one wants to be that noob running around the server with no idea what they are doing. Before playing a multiplayer game for the first time, I always like to create my own server and run around a little, just to get to know the general layout of maps. Join both RED and BLU and run around the map so you have a general idea of where to go.

1. Teleporters
    If you run out of spawn and see a teleporter in front of you, don't just run to it and take it. Some classes need a teleporter more than others. If you are a Scout and you steal a ride from a Heavy, you should be slapped. You can run almost 60% faster than a Heavy, who then must wait for the next teleporter or walk to the frontlines. If you are a Sniper, don't take a teleporter from a Soldier or Demoman. While you will be hanging back trying to get that perfect headshot, the Soldier and Demo need to be up front trying to cap or defend.

Heavy, Soldier, Demo, and Medic should have the first priority for teleporters due to them being the slower classes that are most needed on the fron lines. Pyro, Engineer and Sniper should only take teleporters when they are the only ones spawning or the classes listed before have already taken teleporters. Spy and Scout should never take teleporters. Spies used to leave a trail when exiting, and it's hard to be cloaked or disguised when you have a glowing trail following you. This was changed in an update recently, but Spies should still defer to other classes. As for Scouts, well, every time you do a kitten is killed (not war kittens either, regular cute kittens, baby cats). So don't take teleporters. You can run across the whole map, die, respawn, and still beat a Heavy that has to walk to the front lines.

2. Class Awareness
    After you join a game and choose RED or BLU, before you select your favorite class be sure to see what classes the rest of your team are. If there are a couple Snipers already, don't be a Sniper. If your team has no Soldiers or Demos, choose one of them. If you have too many of one class it makes it hard to win rounds.

The core of your team should be Soldiers, Demos, Medics, and Heavies. Too many support classes and your team will have a hard time capping or defending. At the same time, having no Medics or Engineers can make it difficult to win as well due to players dying when a Medic could have saved them, or not having a teleporter to get you to the action faster. It is all about balance, and having a well balanced team is often the reason why one team beats another.

3. Sentries
    Sentries can sometimes be the only thing between a win and a loss. Having no sentries can let the attacking team roll through unopposed, while not being able to take out a sentry can stop you from getting to that cap point or intellingence. This goes along with the class awareness, especially if an enemy sentry is denying you from advancing. There are a few ways to effectivly take out sentries, the first being a Demo+Medic combo. Detonating a few sticky bombs will take out the sentry, along with the Engineer, dispenser, and anything else nearby. An Ubercharged Pyro is also a great way to take out sentries, providing they can get close enough to do damage. The way to do this is have the Medic run in first, allowing him to take the pushback from the sentry so the Pyro can get close enough to burn the sentry and Engineer. To make it even easier to destroy sentries, have a Spy sap it right before your attack. This will cause the sentry to take damage and distract the enemy, as they will be trying to kill the Spy while you can attack the sentry.

If you are playing as an Engineer, before you build your sentry, build your dispenser first. This will allow it to build up metal to use when upgrading your sentry. Also try to build with your back to a wall in order to defend against Spies; if you build in the open, they will have an easier time sapping and backstabbing you. Another thing to take into consideration when you build is what direction will the enemy come from, and where your teammates sentries located. Having good crossfire between sentries will make it easier to frag, and harder for them to be destroyed. If there are 2 or more sentries in a small area, a single Demoman will be able to take them out easily with stickies.

4. Ubercharges
    Ubercharges allow you to be invincible for 8 seconds, or have 100% critical hits for 10 seconds, depending on what the Medic has equipped. In order to use an Uberchage the Medic first needs to fill up the Uber bar by healing his teammates. Teammates with less health will fill up the bar faster, while players who are already overhealed will fill the bar slower. During setup time the bar fills at a faster rate, enabling you to have an Ubercharge ready when play begins. A Medic equipped with the Ubersaw will also be able to fill their bar when they hit a player with their Ubersaw, with each hit filling up the bar by 25%.

When you have an Uber charged up and ready to go, think before you use it. Make sure the player you are going to uber knows you are ready, and pick out some specific targets. Be sure he also has enough ammo and has just reloaded - being invincible doesn't do a lot of good if you have no ammo to shoot. If you are trying to take out a sentry, the Medic should first to take the pushback, allowing the other class to get in closer to do more damage. If an enemy pair comes at you and Ubers, try to hold off deploying yours as long as you can. When their Uber runs out, you will still have enough left to frag them and any others that are nearby. When you are Ubercharged, ignore the Ubered enemies, you won't be able to kill them, so go after the players you can frag.

5. Achievements and Unlocks
    Valve has recently added Achievements and Unlockable Weapons to TF2. So far the only class enabled is the Medic, while it was just announced the Pyro would be next in line. There are currently 56 Achievements, 17 general achievements and 39 that are Medic specific. After unlocking 12, 25, and 39 Medic achievements you are able to unlock the new weapons, one primary, one secondary, and one melee.

The Blutsauger is the primary weapon that replaces the Syringe Gun. You won't be able to get critical hits, but each hit you do will give you 3 health. The secondary weapon is the Kritzkrieg. While the Medigun it replaces will make you invincible for 8 seconds, the Kritzkrieg will make your healing target fire 100% critical hits for 10 seconds. Last but not least is the Ubersaw, which you unlock after getting all 39 achievements. It fires 20% slower than the default Bonesaw, but each time you connect with an enemy your Ubercharge bar increases by 25%. The only news about the Pyro's acievements and unlocks is the Axtinguisher. Replacing the default Fire Axe it will do 50% less damage, but after you light an enemy on fire you will be guaranteed a critical hit with the Axtinguisher. This may change however, as the first details about the Medics unlocks were the Overhealer, which would let you heal someone to 200% permantly, but was scrapped after testing.

That is all for this installment of Team Fortress 2 101, the next segments will be up soon, and focus on the different classes and maps in the game. Once again, if there is anything you would like to see in the future, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Team Fortress 2 101 : Getting Started Guide (TF2)-blu.png   Team Fortress 2 101 : Getting Started Guide (TF2)-red.png  

Jawbone Collector in Chief
    yankeeDEUCE.com

| |
    |

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    incredible!

and how sad is it that I had no idea that "RED" and "BLU" were acronyms.
    Last edited by CoffeeShark; 06-13-2008 at 03:56 PM.

United States [US]
    joe
    Absolutely great post...awesome job yankee!!! :rawk:

Colombia [CO]
    Tao
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    incredible!

and how sad is it that I had no idea that "RED" and "BLU" were acronyms.
    Same for me until last night when I was staring at a wall waiting for your inefficient dispenser to heal me.

*DING DING DING!!! BLU = xxxxx*

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Same for me until last night when I was staring at a wall waiting for your inefficient dispenser to heal me.

*DING DING DING!!! BLU = xxxxx*
    my dispensers are optimized for high-end healing transfers. You're probably using it wrong.

I couldn't hear anything DJ_Wheels's Avatar
    Great work!

United States [US]
    joe
    tappy, tappy, tappy...

Mmmm. Looks like I will have to pick up TF2 sometime soon. Nice editorial!

very nice yankee!

Nice Yankee I am defintaley tapping this....But i have one question...How do you place a flippin sapper?? I see where an image of where the sapper needs to be on sentry but when i click nothing happens wtf ! !
    Antec Nine Hundred HomebrewV2.9.1 | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.4ghz |4gb 800mhz ddr2 corsair xms2 led ram | WD VelociRaptor 300gb(x3) |Dual 1GB GeForce GTX 285 XXX Cards | Asus Striker Extreme | 1000Watt Enermax Galaxy | Windows 7 Pro | Sony Bravia 32' LCD | Windows 7 Performance Score 6.9 |3d Mark 06 23,106 |

Accounts: - Digg - Vimeo - Twitter - Revision3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast