Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teh Carmack: Quake Live Is Gonna Own

Teh Carmack: Quake Live Is Gonna Own

Games Radar is reporting on a chat they had with John Carmack about the upcoming Quake Live. Apparently Carmack believes this game will attract oodles of people looking for a fast and furious DM style game.

Above: In-game advertising will bankroll Quake Live, but won’t warn your dumb ass about incoming fire

It’s completely free - there aren’t any micro-transactions. Quake Live is completely ad-supported on the web browser pages and [through] in-game advertising. Of course, this is speculative - we’re going to have to see how this works out. Early on, we were tossing around two different orders of magnitudes - anywhere from 50,000 to 5 million people playing. We have no idea where it is going to be in there. The fact that 70,000 people have signed up in a week means that we’re going to be looking at hundreds of thousands of players, if not millions. We hope that that can be a sustained critical mass of a community that can play this type of game, and be self-supporting.

Quake III Arena was always my personal favorite id Software game. It’s such a pure activity kind of game - more of a sport than a movie. And I’m excited to have this opportunity to bring back the pure type of gaming as opposed to the “everything and the kitchen sink” modern design. We have no pretensions about it being the best multiplayer game in all types of things, but for any player looking to test their [deathmatch] skill, I think Quake III Arena is the best there ever was.
    This is going to be pretty cool. Basically it's going to be Quake III online, free to play, with full stats and rankings, played through your web browser. And you thought that StrafeRight's Off Topic forum kept you away from what you're really supposed to be doing from 9-5!
    Last edited by wootini; 06-26-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Gimme ur moneyz...NOW!!! NoobToast's Avatar
    mg: two free games that im going to have to check out BF:H and now Quake Live...
    TF2 Addict

Sweet! I signed up for the beta months ago (didn't get in I guess :P) and posted about it -- if all works well... daaanng... will rock!
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    I guess it's played "through your web browser", technically, but in reality, it's run from a program that sits on your system, and the main reason there's a browser window is to serve advertising pre-game.

It's in no way a light, browser-'based' game, just so you don't get the wrong idea.

I signed up too, but never got any word back

Blog Entries
    So it will be a PC game?
    "Teck will be working on God's forum" -VincentVega

"...and I like killing zombies and Cap'n Crunch. you put those two together and you've got one LETHAL-ASS good time combo" -DanFortH

"teck is the noobest leet guy I've ever met" -CoffeeShark

yes

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    I guess it's played "through your web browser", technically, but in reality, it's run from a program that sits on your system, and the main reason there's a browser window is to serve advertising pre-game.

It's in no way a light, browser-'based' game, just so you don't get the wrong idea.
    yeah, never thought it'd be purely web-based. if they did, man i'd like to see how they shrunk it down and optimized it to work like that! Makes sense that it would be a program on your system working in conjunction with a browser... I don't mind one bit. heck, I have the free FarCry game on my computer... adds sometimes pop in while the game is loading, but that's about it. I take take 10 seconds of occasional delay for something "free."
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

no big deal... i'm almost positive you will be able to run this from a USB stick anyway. the browser probably serves ads and logs you in/out of the game.

Blog Entries
    when you think they are gonna start releasing games on flash and thumb drives instead of CD/DVDs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast