Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All Talk and Team Talk

I wouldn't want to see this changed at all.

Fragged
    and why is that?

United States [US]
    joe
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I wouldn't want to see this changed at all.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    ?
    !

United States [US]
    joe
    !
    *sigh*

What wouldn't you want changed? The current way voip is implemented in TF2 and other Valve games? Or the suggestions for improvements listed earlier in the thread? If it's the former (keep the voip as it currently is), why would you prefer that over a multi-channel system?

Strictly speaking about TF2, I like it the way it is. Can't use vent while playing TF2, it's too confusing. All talk + All talk = I lose. I don't even understand the argument for team speak to begin with. What kind of strategies are you planning in TF2 that you can't say to everyone? Far as I know, the game is supposed to be fun, not serious. At least that was the original idea. Maybe we're moving in a new direction and I'm just staying behind.

It's also too confusing to new players I think. How many buttons do I have to hit to say something? And what is the point of All Talk if you have Team-speak? The only reason anyone would use All-Talk in that case is to flame, and there's enough of that as it is. At least people generally shut up and let people say important things sometimes. I just don't see any real reason to change it the way it is.

Also, I'm watching sky captain, and Gwyneth Paltrow just ripped her dress all the way up the side on purpose, so I may not be all that focused at the moment

United States [US]
    joe
    Strictly speaking about TF2, I like it the way it is. Can't use vent while playing TF2, it's too confusing. All talk + All talk = I lose. I don't even understand the argument for team speak to begin with. What kind of strategies are you planning in TF2 that you can't say to everyone? Far as I know, the game is supposed to be fun, not serious. At least that was the original idea. Maybe we're moving in a new direction and I'm just staying behind.

It's also too confusing to new players I think. How many buttons do I have to hit to say something? And what is the point of All Talk if you have Team-speak? The only reason anyone would use All-Talk in that case is to flame, and there's enough of that as it is. At least people generally shut up and let people say important things sometimes. I just don't see any real reason to change it the way it is.

Also, I'm watching sky captain, and Gwyneth Paltrow just ripped her dress all the way up the side on purpose, so I may not be all that focused at the moment
    we're not talking about our specific TF2 servers, or the straferight public ventrilo either...the focus of this thread is just on Valve's implementation of voip in general...and I'm confused by your "All talk + All talk = I lose" equation...as what we've described above there'd be a single all-talk channel, unless you made a mistake while typing, or are talking about ventrilo (again, that's not what this thread is about), your equation doesn't make sense...

your second paragraph is just a mess...if you honestly think that adding a single key bind to differentiate between all-talk and team-talk is that confusing, especially when there's already a voip key, all-text key, team-text key, and three radio keys, then I can't really help you there...I'm not going to get too much into the argument between all-talk and team-talk, as so much of that is more determined by A) who's playing at any given moment, and B) the atmosphere of the server in general...

what I think most of us in this thread are trying to say is that it'd be nice if BOTH players and server operators had control over a multi-channel in-game voip system...if you as a player don't like team-talk, fine, you can disable it via your game client...if the server operators want an all-talk only server, fine, they can disable the team channels in the server cvars...same would be true for those that want all-talk off, they can disable it via their client, or it can be shut off on the server via a cvar...

once again, I need to say that we're not talking about our specific TF2 servers, or our ventrilo server, or your personal game experience...it's about Valve's voip system as a whole, over multiple games (TF2 and CSS specifically), and trying to broaden/expand it to appeal to all gamers, not just your individual gaming preference...

Blog Entries
    :yeahthat:

I do find it amusing though to hear what new noobs in the server say, especially when they try to get their team organized (that's when trip starts punching people).

Okay, let's go with yours

Quote Originally Posted by TaxiDriver View Post
    I would like it if team talk took priority over all talk, other wise it's just going to be a bunch of incoherent voices, much like it is now. I would also like to see a "friends only" voice option so you could talk to people who are on your friends list that are on the server.
    I'd like to say one more time that I agree with this. Too confusing. Also, be prepared to have noobs and people like me (one in the same) reply to a team-only discussion on all-talk, thereby letting the opposition into the conversation. Seems like it'd add too much fail all around to have that in game. Are there any games that this type of functionality built in? I haven't heard of any, but I play only a tiny percentage of what's out there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast