Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules or No Rules - BF2 server

My nation pwns yours mwahahaha Sergeant_assist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rules or No Rules - BF2 server

I've been wondering should we set some ground rules for our bf2 server. Just today, I notice that the teams were really off balance, and since there was no rule for base raping, it was total overkill. One team just monopolized all the armor and camping all spawn points on the uncaps and that made all the players that was being rape, leave and that made everyone else leave because there was no more game to hunt. So yeah the gist of it we need something like nunya an anti uncap camping thingy. Discuss?
    :yeahthat:
    What is wrong is always better than what is right, for its the wrong that forces change.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    I think that's a good idea IMO. Although I did like sneaking into an uncap in BF1942 and causing havok.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

IMO the only time you should be at an uncap is to destroy assets or steal aircraft. Now, while you're there if people are spawning and trying to kill you it's ok to engage them BUT your first priority should be to leave ASAP. If that means not getting the aircraft you wanted then so be it. Sitting on the helipad in a tank shooting people as they spawn is gay.

I think the most important thing is that we try to keep things balanced. So if things are getting unbalanced we swap to the losing side to even things out. Even if there are rules about attacking the UCB's no-one wants to play in an server that's not balanced. Last night we had several good rounds when the server filled up. If things were looking unbalanced I would team swap or go afk for a break. So I think if all the sR members but in an effort to keep thinks balanced it will really help.

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar
    Yeah, I think some basic rules would be good. I think the no attacking uncap rule should only apply if all other flags are taken. Sometimes people bring a squad in to destroy commander assets and it can also be a good strategy to keep a tank whore from getting their precious tank. If they feel like they are getting spawn killed, they have the option to spawn at one of their other flags while the other team is wasting their resources at the uncap.

If the uncap is all that is left, then things are probably pretty unbalanced and attacking an uncap at that point is just lame.

United States [US]
    joe
    I think K_Dog's post and the first line of BetterOff's sig is on the right track with this. I'm hesitant to try and control the server with rules that only half the people will pay attention to...as well as rules that are a pain in the ass to enforce and often cause more problems then they are worth.

The issue of baserape, attacking uncaps and stealing vehicles are all valid concerns, and a lot of the problems come from the design of the game that we can't change (e.g. on Harvest the USMC has two uncaps, while the MEC has none). Stealing vehicles is probably my biggest pet peeve, but it's pointless to make a rule about it, it's just a part of the game I have to live with.

So, to cut to the chase...the point of the server is to have fun, with that in mind I think the most appropriate outlook is to say everything's valid, but just keep it within reason. Don't camp or attack uncaps unless it's the only thing available, keep an eye on the number of players in the server and how it influences your play (artillery, vehicle theft, etc), if things need mixing up a bit don't hesitate to change your class or team, etc.

Basically don't be an asshole.

Thoughts? Opinions?

(I'm trying to think of a phrase that sums up my "basically don't be an asshole" sentence to broadcast in the server, I'm thinking along the lines of, "Play Fair, Have Fun, Don't Be Like Tate")

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post

(I'm trying to think of a phrase that sums up my "basically don't be an asshole" sentence to broadcast in the server, I'm thinking along the lines of, "Play Fair, Have Fun, Don't Be Like Excessive")
    Fixed

No problems with stealing vehicles, I do it a lot. If you've played Harvest with me you know I spend 3/4 of the game blowing assets and stealing vehicles while everyone else is flag rushing.

My thing is, in order to have a balanced game you need to stay out of the uncaps unless you are doing those two things and if it takes you longer than 2-3 mins, you need to leave. I say this because it causes people to leave the server and that's bad for everyone.

In a pure competition where the best team wins uncap raping is ok in my mind but in reality it discourages people and they will leave the server over it - whether you think they are being lame for leaving or not, it empties the server.

I agree with Joe about the asshole thing, I think the word he is looking for is "sportsmanship". Do you best to show good sportsmanship.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale.Rider View Post
    I agree with Joe about the asshole thing, I think the word he is looking for is "sportsmanship". Do you best to show good sportsmanship.
    Sportsmanship is the key, but some people are jackasses and will continue to rape the uncaps. Spec ops are always trying to blow up your command structures though so whatev.... I don't mind them at all especially since I like that role.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    There's a difference between blowing command structures up, and spawn camping.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast