Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why You Should Buy Left4Dead 2, Like Nao!

Why You Should Buy Left4Dead 2, Like Nao!

Let's face it, the internet let out a huge, skull-splitting scream of disgust over the announcement of Left4Dead 2, and rightfully so in my opinion. Some of the more common complaints were that L4D 2 should be an expansion pack (and a free or reasonably priced one at that!), that the original game was just getting tweaked to the point that it worked and was playable across all of the game modes (um, early Versus mode fail anyone?). It got so bad that Valve's own Gabe Newell tore himself away from WoW for a few moments to address the internerds at large to deflect some of ill feelings towards the game. Mostly what we heard from Gabe was that what we know as L4D 2 was going to be an add-on to the first game but that as development went on it became too big to be considered an expansion of the first game.

Take all of that for what you will at this point because there are still many holdouts across the internet that will not buy L4D 2 and are doing everything they can to convince others to boycott the game as well. For all of Valve's efforts, some people just won't be swayed from seeing Left4Dead 2 as a money grab for what was supposed to be an incrementally and affordably upgraded title to begin with.

Now that we have the basics of the L4D 2 saga behind us, let's move onto the crux of this article. The fact of the matter about Left4Dead as a franchise is that it is good. No, strike that, it's more than good, it's fucking great. L4D is an entirely new style of game play which in and of itself is a quantum leap from all of the BF2/Doom/Quake/Unreal rip-offs we've had shoved down our throats for the last ten years. On that merit alone it should shine as a top game in this decade. When you add into the equation that this game is frequently updated by Valve to improve its game play, is a triple threat (meaning it has excellent single player, versus and coop modes of play), and can be played either for fifteen minutes or for five hours at a time yet still delivers the fun in spades, one has to admit that the force is strong in the L4D franchise.

All of the aforementioned points good examples of why everyone should be buying Left4Dead 2, but in my estimation the biggest reason is that we, as the gaming community at large, need to support those companies that are supporting us as gamers. Valve has earned its stripes time and time again as a defender of all things gaming in the form of the Half-Life series and add-ons, the Counter-Strike franchise, the Day of Defeat titles, and even Steam as a content delivery system that has smashed all other competitors in the face and caused them to admit defeat and join its ranks as publishers (lol @ EA). What Steam has meant to us as gamers will never truly be understood until it somehow becomes disconnected for a length of time. Most people I know use it to keep in touch via the Friends List, use it to launch their non-Steam games, use it to keep up on PC gaming news, and to connect with other gaming groups via the Steam Community aspect of the infrastructure. In short, Steam is the glue that keeps PC gaming together as a platform.

Left4Dead 2 is part of a successful formula, not a changing of its ingredients, thus it should not be treated differently in any way than the first iteration of the franchise. We were falling over ourselves to play L4D when the demo came out, and we should be doing the same for L4D 2 if we enjoy the experience that the first game delivers. Hell, Valve is even offering up a nice discount on a 4-pack of pre-orders right now ($34 a person compared to $45). A few of us jumped on that deal earlier this week and it was a seamless experience via Steam. Of course this would require one to have four friends, but that is a different article for another day

So if you're one of the L4D 2 boycotters I beg you to take an objective step back and ask yourself if you actually enjoy the game. If the answer is yes, do the right thing and support the company and the community that helped bring it to existence in the first place. If we, as a PC gaming body, collectively stopped buying games that don't suck guess what we're left with? That's right, another decade of shitty Id Software wannabees who try to stiffen our e-wood with demos of games years before they're even going to launch in hopes of selling us on a ten second demonstration of the engine ala Alan Wake.
    Last edited by joe; 10-08-2009 at 02:47 PM.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    oh it's already been boughten

Left 4 Dead 2 is going to be great, when in doubt of purchasing it, refer to the flow chart. Flow charts never lie...

http://create.ly/g0hfc2f11

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    All of the aforementioned points good examples of why everyone should be buying Left4Dead 2, but in my estimation the biggest reason is that we, as the gaming community at large, need to support those companies that are supporting us as gamers. Valve has earned its stripes time and time again as a defender of all things gaming in the form of the Half-Life series and add-ons, the Counter-Strike franchise, the Day of Defeat titles, and even Steam as a content delivery system that has smashed all other competitors in the face and caused them to admit defeat and join its ranks as publishers (lol @ EA). What Steam has meant to us as gamers will never truly be understood until it somehow becomes disconnected for a length of time. Most people I know use it to keep in touch via the Friends List, use it to launch their non-Steam games, use it to keep up on PC gaming news, and to connect with other gaming groups via the Steam Community aspect of the infrastructure. In short, Steam is the glue that keeps PC gaming together as a platform.
    1. I don't care about supporting Valve. If they do a good job, I'll support them.

2. I don't think I've even been on Steam for a month or so, mostly because my gaming machine was relocated due to the Playboy Mansion Recreation in my basement. But with a new video card, I'll have to get back on. Steam is not what I use for anything other than launching Valve games.

3. Steam is not the glue, but it's a good delivery system, and I hope it does become the de facto way of delivering games in the future. The glue are the real gamers who use PCs, not solely consoles.

Germany [DE]
    UI
    Good write up Craig. Perhaps when my income starts flowing in I'll hit up the friends deal thing too.

I remember when Steam was a joke and most everybody hated it with a passion - it's a nice breath of fresh air when products come out that really do make it easy to be a gamer! But yeah, i'll be getting this. it looks awesome and really like a separate product (either that, or as an expansion that appears to be bigger and more refined than the original product). good stuff!
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

I'm not going to say I disagree with Craig because I don't view this as a black and white issue. I just look at this from a different point of view based on my experiences and expectations. I don't think that makes either view wrong or right.

Let me start by saying I preordered Left 4 Dead (not through Steam). It is one of two games I have ever preordered, the other being Battlefield 2. I'm definitely an old school PC gamer and I've been gaming on this platform since the 80s. Those of us that have been around this long have become accustomed to game demos and it's hard to get us to buy a game outright without a demo let alone paying for it up front before it's even on store shelves for review. So for me and gamers like me you can understand it's a real stretch to get us to preorder. I, like Craig am a brand loyal kind of guy when it comes to many things. If a company provides a good product or service I will probably do business with them again. After a stream of good titles from Valve, I had enough trust in them to preorder L4D and unfortunately I got burned.

For me, and I don't expect everyone to share this point of view, I got burned with L4D. As previously stated Valve had a good track record with past titles like Half-Life & Half-Life 2 and everything we saw of L4D up to launch was very impressive. So, I preordered the game. Then we got the demo and I felt reassured because it was a ton of fun and I thought "this is only a small portion of what's to come." The problem came on launch day when I got the actual game and I soon learned that the "small portion" was actually a very large portion. The total sum of the game, for me, felt like a very hastily constructed total conversion for Half-Life. I didn't feel like I received a full, stand alone game. Valve also I think felt this way to an extent because they quickly had additional content in the pipeline. To make a long story short, I will probably sit Left 4 Dead 2 out. With so many other great titles out there and existing titles that I still enjoy very much Left 4 Dead 2 is a tough sell considering that for me the first installment was a letdown. Now, Valve assures us that it's bigger, better and much more than the original game - oh and, we need another $50.

Anyway, I don't want to discourage anyone from buying the game if that's what you want to do.

well i kinda agree with pale but i tink you should give it another chance since they cant mess up the same tittle twice but i could be wrong. on another note ill buy this game to hopefully have fun(not just watch a team use the cheapest of ways to win the round in versus), or sometimes im surrounded by noobs that cant tell their teammate apart from zombies. and i want to ride coffee like a bitch:moo:
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

exit-only beetches

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    exit-only beetches
    remember coffee your back belongs to me, like some1 sayed ill wip up a saddle and ride you like a bitch into the loving arms of a tank

edit it was vega i got dibs on sorry coffee
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast