Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56711 ... LastLast

Thread: Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Opinions & Discussion

I'm so disappointed... I think I'm going to try and cancel my preorder.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    Jockey doesn't really 'ride' you away, you kind of stagger slowly off as it beats off on your head.
    fixed

Gamer
    -
    PhenomX3 720BE @3.5ghz, 4gb XMS2, Biostar785GE, HIS HD5830, 1TB Samsung F3 7200rpm sata2, 630watt PSU

United States [US]
    joe
    To be brutally honest...I'm glad I didn't pay full price for L4D2.

I'm having trouble even finding a place to begin. It's not what I was expecting at all. The very first thing I noticed in-game was that movement and mouse action is off. It's almost as if you're on skates and sliding around a bit, and the mouse/crosshairs feel very elastic, there's very little snap or twitch movement (I'd go as far to say it doesn't even feel like Source). The next thing to draw my attention is the HUD, it's large and bright, and kind of garish. While it doesn't get in the way, it also doesn't convey information very well, especially other player's health. What does get in the way though are the weapons. They take up way too much of the bottom of the screen, and they don't match up with your POV (which again, feels off).

Speaking of the weapons, there's an insane amount of them (which is probably good), but even the basic ones feel overpowered. The highest difficulty for the demo is advanced, but for the most part you can chew through the special infected with ease. The common seem to be a bit more difficult though (which is a good thing), and they're able to bring you down a lot quicker now. The melee weapons are fun, and they do add a new gameplay element, but I think they're more a novelty and will wear off quickly. From the little I saw the advanced weapons are absolutely sick, I can't imagine playing with them in versus.

The one thing that I do like is the change to the events. It's no longer corner/closet camping, and is much more difficult (at least on the first few attempts). Like the melee weapons the addition of adrenaline and canned boomer bile are probably good things, but I'll hold off judgment on them until I use them more. The maps by themselves (just the map/environment, not the player models) also look good, even in the daylight setting of the demo. In contrast though, the player models and special infected look almost cartoony, even the common zombies suffer from this a little bit, but especially the special infected. Then there are things like the spitter's spit, which just look completely out of place.

I've come to realize that if this was just a brand new franchise, and if I had never heard of Left 4 Dead and was looking at this with fresh eyes, my opinion would probably differ slightly (but not too much I think). It's a different game entirely (than the original L4D), and I'm hesitant to even call it a sequel, maybe spinoff is a better term. What this demo makes me wish for now more than ever is that the problems and frustrations we have with L4D get fixed (which I know will never happen), and that we get a true expansion to that game (also something I know that will never happen). I know that I'm basically ripping the demo and game, and I know that there are going to be plenty of people who like this style and direction, but it's not at all what I was expecting, and right now I'm not a fan of it.

The best analogy I can make for it is if the original Left 4 Dead is a movie, then it's akin to Alien and Aliens, while Left 4 Dead 2 is like Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

Edit: And I didn't even mention the characters...but I don't even know if that's the right word as they're so bland...

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    The best analogy I can make for it is if the original Left 4 Dead is a movie, then it's akin to Alien and Aliens, while Left 4 Dead 2 is like Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.
    That bad, huh?

Weird, cause I have nothing but good things to say. All the different melee weapons (that are in the demo) are great fun, the slice of the machete, the DONG of the pan, the TWANG of the guitar, and the solid thud of the police baton. To be truthful, in an intense situation with a hoard and a few special infected around, the trusty pistols are better. The new main weapons are AMAZING! The auto sniper rifle is my new fave (it looks to be a CoD4-ish G3 with a scope). The AK is great for med-close, a bit more intense feeling than the M4 of L4D. I didn't get much of a chance with the one assault rifle that looks like a SCAR. Both pump shotties that I used felt great, range limited of course, but devastating at close range. The new infected are also good fun. The charger is scary, bowling ball to pins type, then grabs and beats you to the ground. The spitter looks intensely creepy, BUT i will agree with joe that the spit looks goofy on the ground. The boomers/smokers/hunters all look a bit different, but still sound the same to me. The roaming witch is definitely different, turning a corner into a witch almost made me pee myself. I didn't use the adrenalin or defibrillators, but the boomer bile rocks, you get to chuck a canister of the stuff and if it hits any infected, they looked to be "boomered" and their zombie friends with turn on them! Overall, I don't see the "cartoony" that joe was talking about, since in general i'd say L4D2 is a good 30-50% more gore, with flesh hanging off regular infecteds bones, and the amount of chunks seen when a pipe bomb goes off. With all that said, i may change my mind once the game goes live. (BTW running 1680x1050 4xAA 16xAF all high with sig rig, ~70fps so only 15 or so less than L4D for me)

Gamer
    -
    PhenomX3 720BE @3.5ghz, 4gb XMS2, Biostar785GE, HIS HD5830, 1TB Samsung F3 7200rpm sata2, 630watt PSU

Ha nice analogy

For the 30 minutes or so that I got to play last night, it was pretty sweet. First thing that annoyed my was that none of my controls were transferred over.. (thought that was supposed to happen?) Coffee almost died I think as I was trying to map the key for "use" as it had nothing mapped to it.

Like the daylight aspect of it. really like the weapons but still didn't get used to the melee aspect of the pan/night stick/guitar etc... and the gore. wow. they upped the gore pretty well where its very much noticable and a nice touch to the zombie carnage. Much much more open feeling (even if it's not?) and tons of items that make you really have to think about what you want to use or not. and yeah, spitters spit neon-green really doesn't look all that right, but it didn't distract me all that much -- it may be that way or else you'll just end up walking in the stuff as you'd never notice it without its nice bright color and the sizzling sound it makes.

anywho! I enjoyed it for the moment I got to play with Coffee on our server... expert no less!!

I'm liking it
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Interplanetary Ninja Assassin yankeeDEUCE's Avatar
    Not impressed. Movement sucks, FOV is off, HUD sucks, music sucks, sounds suck. SI were way too easy to kill. We'll see when the full game is released, but right now I would have rather paid $50 (or $34) for L4D1 with new infected/weapons/campaigns and nothing else new, just fixes.

Jawbone Collector in Chief
    yankeeDEUCE.com

| |
    |

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    To be brutally honest...I'm glad I didn't pay full price for L4D2.

I'm having trouble even finding a place to begin. It's not what I was expecting at all. The very first thing I noticed in-game was that movement and mouse action is off. It's almost as if you're on skates and sliding around a bit, and the mouse/crosshairs feel very elastic, there's very little snap or twitch movement (I'd go as far to say it doesn't even feel like Source).
    It doesn't feel all that different to me. always takes time to adjust to a new game.

The next thing to draw my attention is the HUD, it's large and bright, and kind of garish. While it doesn't get in the way, it also doesn't convey information very well, especially other player's health. What does get in the way though are the weapons. They take up way too much of the bottom of the screen, and they don't match up with your POV (which again, feels off).
    a little picky here. the HUD isn't all that important in this game and therefore matters little. The weapons look fine.

Speaking of the weapons, there's an insane amount of them (which is probably good), but even the basic ones feel overpowered. The highest difficulty for the demo is advanced, but for the most part you can chew through the special infected with ease. The common seem to be a bit more difficult though (which is a good thing), and they're able to bring you down a lot quicker now. The melee weapons are fun, and they do add a new gameplay element, but I think they're more a novelty and will wear off quickly. From the little I saw the advanced weapons are absolutely sick, I can't imagine playing with them in versus.
    well, considering that, even with 4 real players, we never made it through the level, it seems the weapons aren't all that overpowered. The bots are very bad, though.

The one thing that I do like is the change to the events. It's no longer corner/closet camping, and is much more difficult (at least on the first few attempts). Like the melee weapons the addition of adrenaline and canned boomer bile are probably good things, but I'll hold off judgment on them until I use them more. The maps by themselves (just the map/environment, not the player models) also look good, even in the daylight setting of the demo. In contrast though, the player models and special infected look almost cartoony, even the common zombies suffer from this a little bit, but especially the special infected. Then there are things like the spitter's spit, which just look completely out of place.
    The only cartoony figure seems to be the spitter.

I've come to realize that if this was just a brand new franchise, and if I had never heard of Left 4 Dead and was looking at this with fresh eyes, my opinion would probably differ slightly (but not too much I think). It's a different game entirely (than the original L4D), and I'm hesitant to even call it a sequel, maybe spinoff is a better term. What this demo makes me wish for now more than ever is that the problems and frustrations we have with L4D get fixed (which I know will never happen), and that we get a true expansion to that game (also something I know that will never happen). I know that I'm basically ripping the demo and game, and I know that there are going to be plenty of people who like this style and direction, but it's not at all what I was expecting, and right now I'm not a fan of it.

Edit: And I didn't even mention the characters...but I don't even know if that's the right word as they're so bland...
    I'm not in love with the game, either, but it's fine. It's not the original L4D, but like CS/Source, some people will like the new one, some will stay with the old one.

it'll be a good challenge to get through these on expert by yourself (shoot, still haven't done that by myself for the other episodes of L4D) - it was really hard when i was just playing with coffee last night. Special infected go down pretty quick, but it seems like you run into them a lot more, and if they do get to you and nobody can help you for a brief moment, sheesh, freaking jocky or charger beats me half to death.
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56711 ... LastLast