Thread: Game performance worsening?

Game performance worsening?

Recently when playing both Battlefield 1942 and Half-Life mods I had to decrease my resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 (both at 4x AA). Nothing has really changed but the passage of time that I am aware of, and I checked my processes to make sure nothing else new was running. What would cause this sudden decrease in performance?

Impressive Member
    I play a lot of MMORPG games with my 8890 and all of a sudden I was running slower in the games than everyone else I was grouped with. I didn't know what they hell the problem was, kept reinstalling drivers and I think I might have even formatted the hard drive trying to figure out what the malfunction was.

I thought that maybe it was over-heating so I bought some actic silver and when I took off the heatsink I saw that the problem was. On the intake side of the heatsink fins was a layer of lint, just like what you'd see on the lint screen on a clothes dyer. After cleaning that off and putting the acrtic silver on there its ran great since then. I guess that it was over-heating the processor and it was forcing it to downclock.

So I guess after all that rambling what I am saying is, check the cooling. haha

ooooooh yea. I found gobs of dust in my heat sink. I almost sent for an RMA until I fixed the problem mtself.
    - Thinking inside the box is cool!

my 5670: P4 2.66/RADEON9000 128MB/1 GIG O' RAM/40GIG HD 5400RPM
    my DESKTOP: AMD Athlon 64 3000+/Nforce 3 250 mobo/RADEON9800 128MB/512 MB O' RAM/40GIG HD 7200RPM
    Currently Playing: Star Ocean 3, CS:S, Stepmania

Would blasting it with a can of air do the trick? Or would I actually have to take it apart? I've built my own desktop, but I know fairly little about the inner workings of my laptop. Is it simple enough to remove dust or should i just try to shoot some air through it?

Impressive Member
    On mine compressed air wouldn't have helped for long, there was a lot of lint in there. Its really not hard to take the heatsink off though, just 4 screws hold it on. You should buy some artic silver and put that on there while you are at it too.

All right, I'll probably give it a go then, thanks.

I didn't want to take the heatsink out because I didn't want to have to mess with the thermal pad, i just wanted to get rid of the dust. i'm pretty low on cash, so going out and buying things like artic silver aren't really a justifiable expendature. i did blow the heatsink for awhile with a can of air, and the effect was remarkable. there was a lot of dust, which was formerly in there, and is no longer. horray.