Poll: Which TF2 Do You Prefer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 61011

Thread: Would You Go Back To Vanilla Team-Fortress 2?

Dispenser? I hardly know her! TheShelks's Avatar

Re: Would You Go Back To Vanilla Team-Fortress 2?

That's way over the top. There's enough bizarre crap in the game. 3 new items for each class didn't bother me so much, but everything beyond that (crafting, hats, etc.) is just silly.

Colombia [CO]
    Tao

time to go back to borderlands. i see danwad pop up on that title constantly

New borderlands dlc is neat but very very short. 3 hours if you take your time...

Blog Entries

it doesn't make me buy mircro hats/alligator skin ghey shit. I'm staying with borderlands. let me know when you get the robot dlc tao, I'll join you. THIS, is why hats are for broads.

Colombia [CO]
    Tao

i'll grab it up and some of the others too. the zombie one looked cool as well as that fort knox or whatever

but...i'll be starting from scratch. my recent HD crash killed my game saves

United States [US]
    joe

zombie island and knoxx are definitely worth it...moxxie's is an interesting idea, but you'll use it mainly for the weapon bank...the latest DLC (claptrap) is good, but very short at around 3-4 hours...

also, there should be a GOTY edition out before Christmas that is rumored to have all the DLC included in it...

Well, I love the new weapons. No, I don't have them all, but I didn't have to pay for 'em either. If someone else wants to dish out the cash for a good weapon or a pointless hat, they can go ahead, it doesn't cause me any trouble at all.

And word is the item set hats are getting blueprints soon, so I can't really see the big tragedy here. Oh, no, after two years of free updates with free content, Valve is giving us another free update with free content, with the option to pay to skip the way we've been unlocking these items for weeks/months/years? I'm not bothered by it at all, really. The prices in the Store are ludicrous for some items, but I can just choose not to buy it.

I mean, it's all relative. MMO subscriptions, other games with microtransactions, paid DLC, free DLC. Sure, there's a bothersome precedent when a brand new game comes out with paid DLC, but it's another thing when a game as old as TF2 gets content that you don't even have to pay for...

Quote Originally Posted by DWall View Post
    go back to eating your jesus eggs.

Blog Entries

the rib is, I'd actually consider downloadable content, or an updated game via steam. I mean, it's not like I DIDN'T buy left 4 dead 2, OR the secret armory of General Knox, Or every iteration of Battlefield since B2 - which is sort of the point - they wrap it up all neat and nice, put a bow on it, and add a stuffed teddy bear to the outside and call it a game - I like that. I get to overlevel, i can see some new maps, some new enemies, get a kewl weapon, and generally run around as, or like, an asshat having a good ol' time with my 10 -slash - 40 bucks I put into the new content.

Here, team fortress appears to be adding content-sensitive material on the fly from a once whole and well-unified game (my opinion, natch). Adding content little by little makes sense in you free model - you get it as they develop it, and on their schedule, because programming resources are slightly smaller at this level, and valve probably doesn't want to invest all resources making free updates for free. the other side of the arguement, of course, is adding more content makes it sexy for newcomers to buy MORE of the game.

which is kind of the point. Team fortress came out a few years ago, and your new-comers are new teens from, yep you guessed it, nickelodeon/disney micro-transaction world. this model fits perfectly. it's an "old" game new teens familiar with webkinz-style transactions are buying, and the old guard can play for free, or start collecting goodies.

team fortress set a neat standard of rules from the beginning: here are your weapons, here are your insane class differences, and you guys figure out how to team up and win.

now it's weapons + class strategy + hats + MORE achievements + RPG loot making + collecting + individual stats and attributes.

sometimes fewer rules can make a game universally powerful and endlessly fun. More parameters means sweaty-tasting lemonade, and 'ya broke the taste, so now you're just adding splenda. and splenda is shitty. I swear, look it up.

is it tragic? of course not. is it fun? of course not.

/thread

Germany [DE]
    UI

wait, so there are MORE new weapons? Christ.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 61011