Page 1 of 9 126 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Ops Crushes Modern Warefare 2 Sales Record

Black Ops Crushes Modern Warefare 2 Sales Record

There's no denying that gaming is still very strong today, and that even in a recession of such profound proportions not ever experienced before in financial history, money finds its way to good products...and lots of it. With the gamers that play action and adult-oriented titles as the Call of Duty series of late getting on in age (yes, I'm one of them) it does not surprise me one bit that so many consumers shelled out $60 to help Black Ops smash the previous sales record held by its predecessor, Modern Warfare 2.

"Call of Duty: Black Ops" sold 5.6 million copies in 24 hours, making it the biggest entertainment launch ever, Activision said Thursday.

This breaks the previous record of 4.7 million, which Activision set last year with "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2."
    Not only did it Activision break its own record, but it also set another new one:

"There has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records for two consecutive years," Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said in a statement.
    Interestingly enough, the onslaught of ringing registers that reaped Activision $360 million in one day was almost certainly not produced by mom buying 12-year old Johnny a new game for his XBox360. She'll be buying his later and putting it in under the tree as he'll be getting the game for Christmas. So basically that means Activision is yet to really experience the sales that Black Ops is going to bring them for the fourth quarter of 2010.

So let's summarize... Call of Duty hit after hit, Blizzard's parade of money-printing releases and updates, and even more on the horizon. Tell me why this stock is down?

Re: Black Ops Crushes Modern Warefare 2 Sales Record

I will say since they patched it it plays nice now, not perfect but it works. Of course the server browser is all screwedup but thats nothing new. There is allot of custominization now to the point where you buy all kinds of pics to put on your gun. different recticles and colors.

me and a friend of mine went to a midnight launch and it was packed.

Is it tied into MW or MW2 at all? or could one play black ops and not be missing anything from the subsequent titles?

I loved MW but haven't gotten to MW2 yet.

Assault Fiend

Craig, though I can't speak on behalf of the story, this is one amazing FPS. It corrected many of the balance issues present in MW2, and brought the game in a much better direction.

It's more customizable, which more people will surely like. You can change face paint, characters models, crosshairs, scope lenses, etc. Perks are considerably more balanced than MW2, along with noob tubes, kills streaks, and knives.

The levels are fairly solid, very detailed, sporting at least tree paths to any given place.

One great addition to the game, to "de-noobify" it, was adding recoil to the weapons. Recoil was barely present in MW2, the ACR is the best example of this. As such, it took little skill in wielding these weapons. In Black Ops, the recoil is nice, though it's no where near the level of CSS. Still, it's enough to separate good players from the bad, and helps to differentiate the feel of each weapon.

Another nice feature is that every match is recorded, allowing you to play throw it again, rewind, fast forward, screenshot, and record specific parts. You don't have to go out of your way to save a game, as it automatically saves a history of your games that you can later look through. It may not be totally new to FPS, but it's nice to see in this game.

All in all, I have nothing bad to say about this game, it's absolutely awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

Germany [DE]
    UI

I shouldve put a bet on that

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    There's no denying that gaming is still very strong today, and that even in a recession of such profound proportions not ever experienced before in financial history, money finds its way to good products...and lots of it. With the gamers that play action and adult-oriented titles as the Call of Duty series of late getting on in age (yes, I'm one of them) it does not surprise me one bit that so many consumers shelled out $60 to help Black Ops smash the previous sales record held by its predecessor, Modern Warfare 2.

Not only did it Activision break its own record, but it also set another new one:

Interestingly enough, the onslaught of ringing registers that reaped Activision $360 million in one day was almost certainly not produced by mom buying 12-year old Johnny a new game for his XBox360. She'll be buying his later and putting it in under the tree as he'll be getting the game for Christmas. So basically that means Activision is yet to really experience the sales that Black Ops is going to bring them for the fourth quarter of 2010.

So let's summarize... Call of Duty hit after hit, Blizzard's parade of money-printing releases and updates, and even more on the horizon. Tell me why this stock is down?

Becaue the production cost on Black Ops was probably 400 million so they are just now breaking even

you mean in ONE week they're breaking even? how is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Is it tied into MW or MW2 at all? or could one play black ops and not be missing anything from the subsequent titles?

I loved MW but haven't gotten to MW2 yet.
    To answer this, I would say control and feel wise, its closer to MW. Its obviously an update of the MW2 engine, but the controls are almost the exact same as MW and with a developers console, I can see my FPS running, I can add servers (the server browser is buggy still). VERY awesome game, I never beat MW2 since I got it free with my last GPU, and I haven't felt left out yet.
    (It is set in the mid-late 60's, which I didn't know until playing it.)

Gamer
    -
    PhenomX3 720BE @3.5ghz, 4gb XMS2, Biostar785GE, HIS HD5830, 1TB Samsung F3 7200rpm sata2, 630watt PSU

It's not bad by any means. Just saying that the production costs are huge for any Triple AAA title and actiivision has had it's share of so-so games. One release isn't going to change their value much.

Page 1 of 9 126 ... LastLast