Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Ops for PC: Delayed mouse movement?

Black Ops for PC: Delayed mouse movement?

Sup guys? I recently installed black ops (already owned it for xbox but wanted to use my mouse+keyboard and get the best graphics possible) and immediately I noticed that during gameplay, my mouse movement felt delayed. For example, if I would flick my mouse up and down it wouldn't feel right (as opposed to playing CS, where any movement is as precise as can be. It's perfect, no delay). I'm no robot but I swear I notice at least half a second delay. This makes precise aiming difficult and it gives my gameplay a huge "lag" effect.*

Here's what I've tried so far:
    Changing mouse sensitivity through the games options. I prefer the lowest setting (which is still not low enough. The way I set up all my fps games is always the same-a full left to right or right to left swipe on the entire width of my mouse pad makes my player do an exact complete 360 degree spin and start where I was aiming before spinning. Unfortunately even he lowest setting in black ops makes my player do a 540 degree spin) and this is where the delay really comes into play. It's very noticeable and apparently I'm not the only person experiencing this (searched the web).*
    I've tried lowering my graphic settings and even resolution but regardless my issue still exists. When setting the mouse sensitivity higher it was just ridiculously too fast. I'd move my mouse 1/4 the space of my mouse pad's width and my character would do circles.
    I've tried playing with vsync on but the mouse-lag is still there, even with triple buffeting enabled.*
    I haven't lowered the dpi on my mouse yet, though that wouldn't make a difference because it's working fine everywhere else at 1600dpi (right??).*
    Here's something that did work perfectly fine with no delays or anything whatsoever.. My xbox 360 remote I use for my PC.. NOT using a controller to play was the reason I bought it for PC lol.*
    I've run out of ideas and need a probable solution from one of you geniuses.. PLEASE *

This is what my system consists of:
    CPU:q6600 2.4Ghz (stock)
    MB:Asus p5n32-e sli (nvidia 680i)
    GPU:GTX 460 1GB
    Memory:2 GB DDR2 6400 (do I need more f'n ram??)
    Deathadder mouse @ 1600dpi
    Windows mouse settings: 5/11
    Turned acceleration off via registry and game setting. I don't have "enhance pointer precision" in windows turned on either. I've tried the mouse different USB slots but it didn't work.*

My game settings are:
    Resolution: 1080p (using the mini-hdmi to hdmi on tv)
    Full screen, anti-aliasing: 4x, aspect ratio: auto, refresh rate @ 60hz, v-sync preferred off, texture filtering:trilinear, af none, texture quality set at extra, no shader warming, shadows on, bodies medium, bullet impacts yes.*

With those settings I range from 50-179fps so far (on second level) and the only time it dips to lower numbers is during loading screens where it can even drop to 1fps. other than the mouse lag, there's no lag when it comes to gameplay. In fact, while playing with the remote and vsync on or off, the game would play marvelously. But like I said, I like to play my FPS shooters with my mouse, like most of you.*

I've tried everything.

Re: Black Ops for PC: Delayed mouse movement?

force off vsync.
    I had a similar problem back in the day with medal of honor pacific assault.
    when I turned my vsync to "force off" in nvidia control panel, my mouse delay went away.
    I'm bad @ BC2 Lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
    Chicks dig shiny new things, like cars and jewelry. Plus, Coolhand doesn't need a bag now for the chicks he brings home.
    | AMD Phenom II Quad @ 3.3Ghz | 8GB Tri-Channel PC1333 | EVGA GTX260 Core 216 | Western Digital 500GB SATA HDD | Corsair 650HX PSU | Raidmax Tornado Case | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Acer GZ235HZ 3D Ready Monitor | Nvidia 3D Vision Kit |

thought some of that "delay" was because it was really made with consoles in mind :P hate that movement feeling.
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Maybe you're to fast for the game... jus' sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

Assault Fiend

Meh, are you talking about mouse lag on the main menu screen? It's like this sometimes for me, and when it is... it's disgusting. My computer is far more than capable of running this game on its highest settings (which i do), and I have 15gigs of ram to boot.

The problem with this game? It's a port. They took little time making sure that the port worked really well on computers before releasing it, and they haven't exactly been amazing with resolving many of the problems either. Most of the time, it's entirely playable, and dare I say smooth. However, when it isn't smooth, it's disgustingly terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    Meh, are you talking about mouse lag on the main menu screen? It's like this sometimes for me, and when it is... it's disgusting. My computer is far more than capable of running this game on its highest settings (which i do), and I have 15gigs of ram to boot.

The problem with this game? It's a port. They took little time making sure that the port worked really well on computers before releasing it, and they haven't exactly been amazing with resolving many of the problems either. Most of the time, it's entirely playable, and dare I say smooth. However, when it isn't smooth, it's disgustingly terrible.
    I KNEW it! They spent no time working on the PC version.. did they think Mouse Input is identical to joystick input and that it would all work fine when they ported it?
    I've found NO workaround for this god damn "lag".. I've tried these simple "web" fixes (because apparently everyone is noticing this) but to no avail. Setting the affinity, priorities to high or low, alt+tabbing (some people said this temporarily worked).

When mouse movement is a crawl just in the menu, you know it's gonna be unplayable in-game. I can play Crysis and Crysis Warhead perfectly fine.. with my only gripe with Crysis Warhead being the hardware stutter whenever I use the Binoculars. It lags real quick but then fixes itself.. (also does it sometimes when I look down my iron sight too, not for Crysis though <I got the demo, idk if that makes a difference>)

I just don't understand how someone can get high FPS while gameplay is still choppy to the point where precision is non-existent and you have to rely on pure luck and enemies just running straight at you so you don't have to move the mouse. Running enemies? Forget about it.. let them run.. because you will either over shoot them due to the mouse sensitivity being way too high even at the lowest, or you wont be able to track your mouse to aim at them quick enough due to the damn delay.

I should have done more research about this damn game before getting it for PC.

Funny thing is, people keep saying "You need a quad core for that game".. I got a fucking Quad Core and I even OC'd it and there's no fixing this shit. Oh man, that menu lag + mouse lag makes me sad

And to the first reply, Vsync is off. I'm getting 90+ FPS and it doesn't drop.. it just stutters, very delayed movement, and aggravating!

it works well about 25% of the time i try to play it, the rest it either crashes my connection out, lags horribly, chops like mad, has the same laggy mouse movement you are talking about.

and im running an i7-920, 6gb ram, 9800GTX, no reason my hardware can't handle it.

Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz - GeForce GTX 670 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mobo - CORSAIR DDR3 6GB RAM - Antec 900 Case - Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PS - Razer Mamba/Anasi

I think I've found a fix (worked for me). The thing is, I did so many changes, I don't know what exactly "fixed" it, lol

First thing I did was look online for people with possible fixes involving the same problem. A lot of them were just saying to get new hardware and just plainly gave up.. they blamed Treyarch and said just to sit and wait for a patch. But I wasn't going to give up just yet..

1st "Fix"
    I kept browsing online and came across this "Game Booster 2.2" in one of the sites. It was free, and after reading the specs and reviews, I decided to go for it. I installed it, ran the program and simply put the app in game mode and dragged the shortcut of the game I wanted to play, which was first Black Ops Multiplayer. At first, the game menu was slow as fuck, but then all of a sudden it became smooth and responsive. I connected to a ranked server with 17 people and I instantly noticed a difference. My mouse movement was much more precise, less delay. But after about half an hour (a few map switches later) or so it felt like my GPU was overheating (of course, it wasn't) because I was getting frequent pauses during gameplay. It would happen right before I was about to get killed (or maybe at the same time, all I know is that when my screen unfroze I was respawning already).. it would last about 5 seconds long. Each time that happened, gameplay was getting choppy.

This was disappointing me so I went back to searching the web.. I saw a few console commands that could be edited through the autoconfig file in the installation directory. I believe there were 3 or 4 of them.. First one was "r_multiGpu" which at default is enabled.. I know lots of gamers nowadays use dual graphics setups, but to have this ON by default is a little dumb.. I disabled this by changing the number to 0. The second console command was "r_multithreaded_device" and that's DISABLED by default.. LOL... seriously, who uses a single core CPU to game? Besides.. the min requirements are dual core CPU's. I have a quad core, and I'd like to use ALL of my cores while gaming.. so I enabled that by setting it to 1. "cl_maxpackets" at 100 for better reg while online.. it's similar to the cl_cmdrate in counterstrike. After applying those settings I didn't immediately run the game.

In Game Booster, there's an option to defrag games.. (I know Steam has this option too.. but I tried it with the app and it found over 400 files that were fragmented) So I ran a defrag on Black Ops Multiplayer. After that, I disabled my page file and defragmented the drive with my OS installation. I re-enabled the page file and set it to twice my installed RAM, at 4096.

On top of that.. I had a unboxed DeathAdder laying around and decided to replace my two year old current (now previous) DeathAdder.. I uninstalled the old one's drivers, rebooted-Installed new ones, updated firmware and software..

I restarted Windows and finally ran the game (through Game Booster though).

To my surprise.. the game ran GREAT. I got a constant high FPS (51-160) and there was no delay in my mouse movement whatsoever.. I repeat.. NO DELAY. I was immediately catching frags left and right and finally having fun. Using sniper rifles, quickly tossing grenades, actually being able to precisely aim at my enemies.. scope in and shoot them... before there was constant stutter and by the time my iron sights were out I'd be dead. I played for 3 hours straight.. no issues.

These are my in-game settings for both SP and MP.

I ultimately don't know what truly fixed it.. but I'm happy and no longer can talk shit about this game... unless my fix is a temporary dream come true

btw game booster doesn't do reg changes. it just basically closes all non system apps in the background and make the CPU dedicate its resources to the game your'e playing. I've only tried it with COD BO

Edit/Update: Crysis Warhead is now as smooth and playable in Enthusiast Mode for all (Highest Graphic Settings) while running it in that program.. what the hell lol.. Before it wasn't playable at all.. mouse delays and big stutters.. now I don't even get a delay when zooming with Binoculars.. awesome.. Next I try the Crysis demo..
    Last edited by Relly; 01-28-2011 at 07:12 AM.

LOL this app is the shit... I almost got 15,000 in 3Dmark06.. highest ever and when I benchmarked before my GPU was overclocked.. I got a 14699 OC'd and no app.. Then I scored 14,912 with stock GPU clocks and running game booster lol.. that's amazing lol

Assault Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by Relly View Post
    LOL this app is the shit... I almost got 15,000 in 3Dmark06.. highest ever and when I benchmarked before my GPU was overclocked.. I got a 14699 OC'd and no app.. Then I scored 14,912 with stock GPU clocks and running game booster lol.. that's amazing lol
    Interesting, Relly. I have gamebooster, I guess I should have mentioned it. I suppose I forgot about it because I always forget to run it before I play anything. I didn't know there was a defrag option, sounds useful.
    Last edited by Orca; 01-31-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast