Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 61011121621 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: StrafeRight Battlefield 3 Servers Discussion Thread

BF4 64man server patriot E.willy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: StrafeRight Battlefield 3 Servers Discussion Thread

Guntizzle, Teck, Richardthemadman.....anybody

The few admin names i remember being around in the "cheers" days of BF2. I notice the BF3 server is not being used much. Soap box time mates...

What made straferight such a strong server for BF2 back in the day was the enforced rules and love of squad play.. This is not another year for another Call of Duty. It is THE BF3. I find a wealth of COD BF3 servers out there but none yet that make BF3 what it was. Sqd based Kick ass-ness on sprawling maps, not small caged COD duel maps. Bring on the Hard core, team speak, and enforced etiquete of old and you will once again find your admins sifting though abusive players to make room for the good players just waiting to have their "refreshed screen" moment to join the "all about the D key" server. Let people know on the title we cater to the squad player, we want to rush objectives in 6 man....ahem 4 man fire teams. Older & respectful gamers is what this server used to be about mate, Ill bring the players, just need a sand box to play in! Please forward to all in the straferight know, I am a bit out of the loop, but looking forward to bringing back what was a great couple of years for squad gaming. I miss my online bar, where we would meet, and decimate all pixles in site.

Thanks.

*and whats with the all the blue on the server these days!

E.Willy SQD awaiting orders, just don't make me fly...I'm a ground pounder, that and I'll probably crash!
    Last edited by E.willy; 11-13-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    BetterOffDead likes this.

Dispenser? I hardly know her! TheShelks's Avatar

Heading in now. I could sure use some targets...erhm company that is

Blog Entries

Ok Teck, suggestions, might as well put this on the main thread then to....never been a blogger, but lets dive IN!

We need to market and separate ourselves from the the other *million* sites. It is actually what I have been looking for out there since purchase of BF3 and I thought HELL I already have a good server, it was GREAT...but I wonder to myself, why is nobody using it now?

Given limitations, are a current lack of quality standardized in game comms. We are all over the map with skype, steam, team speak....We can't get that those good sqd feelings that bring us back for more. Along with no horns on vehicles 4 man sqds and limited "q" emote responses also hinder. BUT we will work in these confines! Ideas follow, SR crew (you guys reading this) help to mold these ideas and it will bring back a packed server, garaunteed. Salt time gents!

A change in the server title, it is the initial hook to bring in new players. examples are things like "team play enforced" or "bringing the BF2 back in BF3 form" are random examples. I know I have tried dozens of servers, and most feel like it is 1 vs 32! I play BF over COD because I want sqd/team play. How many times have you charges the breach thinking damn, if my mate in the tank, the one in the plane, and that guy who is sniping were working together we would dominate!

I noticed hardcore is not the direction you guys seem to be going are going for. The "normal" health has that feel of Gears, or COD. Is that what is in now? Has it netted SR server #'s? Hardcore has the "BF2" feel, you get shot, you die! I have noticed limited Hardcore servers and they are all generally well used (N.America 64 players, hardcore, conquest)

Higher tickets per team seem to sell, Not crazy high numbers, but just enough to settle in for a good session. People have time to feel out their squad and move out!

It is a shame we can't change the Sqd names, I think that would be a boon, even if just limited to the server crew. then you could have Pilot sqd, tank sqd.....imagine morter sqd....sweet. And of course your line sqds. Maybe we could have in game banners that ran to request those presets. Foot sqds A-F, crew G & H...something simple to start.

A coordinated use of the server will initially help also, if all straferight members know that every saturday Central time noon to 4 is when we want a high turnout of support that will help random people join...and hopefully come back. In game banners could also promote hot server times.

In regards to game banners, the last two ideas highlighted uses for them. We need to market those players again...its why I am ranting now. I stayed around because I felt I was part of a good community., not a daycare filled with screaming toddlers noob tubing us all day. Let them feel part of that "cheers" bar.

To conclude my rant!, getting the word out, It starts with the server banner, make that phrase POP and make everyone and their mom want to play SR! Once people are lured in, they look at our settings, when they are on the field our in game banners make them aware, from there it will be a grind from dedicated admins and players to build up the numbers. Revel in what seperated us before and use it now to bring in a new generation for BF3, At least until they F it up with 3142! HA!

*I still liked a red SR site also!

Considering hibernation ohmigosh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome back E.willy!

Just checked the poll on whether we should shift over to hardcore and it does look like the votes are in favour - so StrafeRight is that a yes for hardcore decision?
    POLL: StrafeRight BF3 Server - Hardcore Mode? - View Poll Results

We've got the calendar functionality - would/could that be of any help for flagging regular slots that we know SR's will be up for BF3?

I can't remember how well the calendar was used for the BF2 stuff... but i'd sure like to see the server return to the BF2 glory days (when i couldn't play, bah!)
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Blog Entries

Ok, so if Polling is how SR moves these days then lets get um' up. All these sexy ideas can be polled. Poll to victory! My bet is this IS what the SR BF3 community wants. Omigosh, who can make these proposed changes o mine? O, and all you thread readers out there, please speak up on this, thread that support!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E.willy View Post
    Ok, so if Polling is how SR moves these days then lets get um' up. All these sexy ideas can be polled. Poll to victory! My bet is this IS what the SR BF3 community wants. Omigosh, who can make these proposed changes o mine? O, and all you thread readers out there, please speak up on this, thread that support!
    Current admins are Joe, Teck and Mister X, so we're in safe hands for changes to be made, all that's being waited on are the votes to make sure we've got everyone's voice heard

Easy link to the "Do you like Hardcore mode in BF3?" POLL: StrafeRight BF3 Server - Hardcore Mode?
    Last edited by ohmigosh; 11-14-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: adding the poll link

how long are we going to hold the poll open? I'd hope that everybody who's in the sR group thingi in BF3 has already done this....
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Blog Entries

We picked up another 2 votes tonight, so I think there's about 30 names in theBF3 name thread and we've got 25 votes.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual."

T-Bagging The Critically Wounded BetterOffDead's Avatar

Those are some great ideas Willy. I think the most important is to make the server stand out. Bf2 is what brought me to StrafeRight. What made me want to join the community was the exceptional teamwork and religious use of in-game voip by SR members. sR squad leaders were accepting of pub members in their squad didn't kick players without first explaining why they did so (usually to make room for a fellow sR member). Before I found sR I would often join servers with rules like "Squad Leaders must use VOIP". The lack of bf3 voip really is hurting the game though.

I've already stated my reasons against HC in the poll thread so I won't go into all of that. I actually do prefer some of the HC settings. To me hc feels more CoD than normal mode mostly due to the health reduction. Maybe I'm just getting into bad HC servers, but I tend to see a lot of negative things from the players. I noticed there are always far more snipers that stay back on some obscure hill for one shot kills rather than play as a squad. Don't get me wrong, a good sniper that spots and covers your squad is awesome, but every squad in the server doesn't need two of them...lol! I like full health because it actually becomes important where your bullets hit the enemy, not just that they hit them. I took out a sniper on a HC server yesterday by firing a couple burst into the one place that was exposed on his roost... his ankle. Either way though I'm more than willing to play in a HC sR server as long as it fills up the server and we get some good team oriented squad going.

I really like the idea of planned play times or events. I have a difficult enough time just getting to play due to other priorities like family and work. I also moved to a rural area since bf2 so my latency is sometimes too high to play even when I want to do so. Because of this I don't always want to come home from work and idle in the server for and hour in hopes of someone joining and instead I join a populated server. I would be much more likely to wait if I knew at a specific time we should get some players.

On a side note, what is our "official" clan tag now? When I played BF2 and CS it was always "sR" or "sR->", but now some people are using the "[D]" and I noticed our tag on the platoon is "[D]". It might be a good idea for everyone to use the same tag when trying to represent the server. I tend to favor the "sR" because I have a feeling the most pub players won't make the connection of [D] with StrafeRight. Some of our members even have sR hard coded into their player names...lol. I noticed a lot of clan servers tend to put their tag in the server name which would be my suggestion if we plan to use the [D] key tag.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmigosh View Post
    Current admins are Joe, Teck and Mister X
    Thanks for posting that as I was just about to ask...lol. Active playing admins also help the server population quite a bit. I was in a clan server the other day where some aimbotter went 30-0 and there were about 15 people playing with servers clan tags, but not one of them was an admin. The server emptied out pretty quickly before they got an admin in to ban him. If possible we may want to get additional actively playing admins with the minimum ability to ban/kick misbehaving players. So far the only one of those admins I often see on the server is Teck.
    Last edited by BetterOffDead; 11-14-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 61011121621 ... LastLast