Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Day Z Discussion Thread

My nation pwns yours mwahahaha Sergeant_assist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Day Z Discussion Thread

ARMA 2 - Day Z mod. It's basically a zombie apocalyptic survival game where you start off on a random start location with a small amount of necessities. The point of the game is to survive and to do so is to gather supplies, weapons and keeping your distance away from zombies and griefers aka bandits. I think the best summation I can think of is Battle Royale or hunger games meet Zombies. So check it out and share your thoughts....

Here's a short introduction video

and this is quite entertaining .... at least for me

UI, akabaloo and mortaldragon like this.
    What is wrong is always better than what is right, for its the wrong that forces change.

United States [US]
    joe

Re: Day Z Discussion Thread

I've been watching Day Z relatively closely...I love the concept, and think it would be a blast to play with friends, but there have been a few things keeping me from diving in.

- it requires ARMA II: Combined Operations (ARMA2:CO), which is currently $30
    - I hated the demo of ARMA II, a realistic sim is one thing, but needing to press shift+z+F2+backspace just to crouch is not my ideal setup (that's an exaggeration, but the movement/controls still sucked)
    - it's still in alpha, and will most likely be either ported to the upcoming ARMA III game, or further developed as a stand-alone release

All that being said, if ARMA2:CO goes on sale sometime soon (Steam Summer Camp sale perhaps?) then I'm going to grab it just to play this mod.

Here are a couple of links that you should read if you're at all interested (or read them if you're not interested, as they should change your mind).

Thank You For The Day Zero: Surviving In Day Z | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

It was in-game daytime now, and we knew it would be essential to find weapons and food if we intended to survive for a long period of time. We headed down the coast to do just that. Then, after a couple of minutes, we encountered another survivor. A newbie from the beach. He turned to look at us.

We looked at him.

“Let’s take him out.” A snap decision, but a horrifying one. We murdered him under a tree. He tumbled down, flopping backwards in the grass. The corpse twitched and shuddered. “This is hideous.” A pause to look at what we’d done. “Just get his stuff.”
    Surviving In Day Z: Part Two | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

In a courtyard outside a church as we picked our way silently through the town, just meters from the pump we heard the sound of a gun being reloaded. We froze. Someone else was here. Ahead, a solitary figure ran to water pump and refilled his canteen. Not a bandit. A survivor like us. But with more kit than my newly spawned friend… We could take him easily. We thought he was alone. He ran back into the church. We followed him, aiming at the door, ready to shoot when he reappeared. How quickly I’d slipped back into murder. He stepped back out and I raised my M4, then an unseen zombie came snarling across the courtyard straight at him. He fired, felled it, and swung round to face me. We stared at each other. He lowered his rifle. I hesitated, then did the same. I almost shot him, almost lost my last few points of humanity (and in the game).

He saluted then, all friends together, and – from inside the church – four of his companions, who we’d never seen, and would certainly have killed us when we went over to loot the body, came out and said hi. That moment of charity had saved us. Humanity and compassion, not murder, had led us to survival. We spent a few minutes covering each other from waves of zombies as each man filled his canteen from the pump, offered the others bandages and morphine when the zombies got through, then said our goodbyes and left the town in different directions, each to survive in his own way.
    Surviving In Day Z: Part Three (& Musings) | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

This next town was much bigger, and was a good trek away. I spent a long time creeping around the abandoned settlement, dodging zombies and searching through crap to find what I needed. No point in taking that old rifle, or this jerry can, or that crossbow. None of it was going to help me survive solo. The weather got worse. Thunder rolled overhead. Then, as I squatted beside a fence – just planning how to get to the next barn – something worse that weather came in. A bullet thwacked into the scenery. It was a moment of pure chance: a miss. That first shot should have killed me, but the sniper fluffed it. I went prone and crawled blindly into the town. More shots. They were firing at where I had been. A quick glance: at least four bandits. Human players. More firing as they took out the wave of zombies. And then they came for me.

In global chat: “Don’t worry. We will find you.”

I crawled on. Then up on my feet and running for the woodland. I ran and ran. Stopping, I pulled out binoculars that I’d found in a hunting shack. I watched the town for a while. The bandits were moving methodically through the buildings, searching for me. I fled into the mountains.
    For the love of PC gaming, download Day Z--Arma 2's zombie survival mod | PC Gamer

It seemed like he wanted to work together. Calmly, in the middle of the night, we crouch-walked with the sea on our right side. I kept talking to him. “Hey. Don’t go that way. Don’t go that way, dude! Over here. This house.” He didn’t always comply, but he stuck with me, leapfrogging from house to house and tree to tree. I figured he didn’t have a microphone, or that his push-to-talk key wasn’t bound. Whatever, this was good enough. We were alive. We started throwing flares to signal danger—red bread crumbs for illuminating where we wanted to head.

In a moment of safety, I typed. Seconds later, he finally spoke. He called out over Arma 2′s proximity-based voice chat.

In Italian.

Without speaking the same language, we’d worked as a two man team, killed two dozen undead, traveled a few miles east, and silently agreed to help each other survive.
    Day Z | PC Gamer
    akabaloo likes this.

Blog Entries

Wonder when this steam sale is going to happen.
    What is wrong is always better than what is right, for its the wrong that forces change.

I hope soon! This game looks fun

woah, that does sound fun
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Blog Entries

I like the fact that where you are at in one server means you stay at that position when you switch servers.

She has her G-string tuned to A Gargs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant_assist View Post
    I like the fact that where you are at in one server means you stay at that position when you switch servers.
    If not for you, Sarge, I would've missed out on this mod! I enjoy playing at the United Operations realism servers, but haven't been able to due to my accident, until now(shattered right thumb when a lady ran a red light and took me off the Harley). Then I see this thread.

This is becoming the apocalyptic survival game I've been looking for. On UO servers, w/o Day Z, my heart thumps out of my chest. Playing this mod is 100x more intense.

If anyone has been on the fence about Arma, or looking for a survival game that l4d or other RPGs haven't filled, you will be rewarded with a deep and engrossing experience that will have you anxious with fear... And smiling from ear to ear.

Main station: Intel i7-920 2.66GHz@3.2GHz, 12GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Barracuda 3x1TGB, Antec 750W PSU, 2x eVGA 460-GTX 1GB SLI, Thermaltake V1-AX, Cooler Master CM Storm

Peripherals: 2x Samsung 25" WS LED, Cooler Master Sirus Headset, Logitech G110, Saitek X52 Hotas, Saitek Pro Rudders, 2x Thrustmaster F16 MFD, Track IR3, Nostromo n52, Logitech G700, Wacom Intuos3 Tablet (6x8)

Blog Entries

Ouch Gargs, (bandages,epipin, and blood trandfusion STAT!)
    and yeah just waiting for it to go on sale on steam.

Day Z Discussion Thread-walking-u00252bdead-2bdriving.jpg
    Kage likes this.

Blog Entries

I have been playing Arma 2 since it was released. I have been playing it Regularly on the weeknds all year as well, but Dayz is certainly the most influential mod to hit this game. You should not be disappointed by the Vanilla version of the game, and you wont be disappointed playing DayZ.

MisterX

I love the atmosphere of DayZ I love the tension and the idea of it.

Its a shame the game interface is the worst I have ever seen in any game. Every action from changing stance to manipulating your inventory is truly awful. Its about as user friendly and useful as OS2 Warp.

But for those willing to persevere , Its an amazingly ambitious mod thats done rather interesting stuff for the game sales. Certainly fun to be had.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast